Old 08-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #121
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Care to translate this in a language I might be able to understand ?

-Michael
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #122
brainwreck

I think some companies' business practices just tend to rub me wrong.

How I think things should work: I buy your plugin. I get to use it. Done. No bullshit.

If you feel the need to resort to DRM schemes, maybe it is a result of you having artificially inflated your product, creating a bad situation in the first place.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #123
Gerry G

Default Nothing new about monopolistic oppressive practices

I remember these same old apologists in the Roman Empire: if Christians do not want to be gobbled by lions they should wander in the desert. If Jews want freedom they should go beyond the protection of the beloved Fuhr... Emperor.

Even modern Russians say that Stalin was a bit tough killing so many people but Russia needed his toughness. The same arguments go for modern political or commercial oligarchs.

The simple fact in all legal systems is that you buy something to keep working for the foreseeable future. A supplier that changes all the rules a short way into the lifespan of the product is acting unlawfully. There are changes, of course, but changing the rules subsequent to purchase is contrary not only to western legal systems but pretty much all. It just means the consumer is not getting what he paid for.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #124
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
It just means the consumer is not getting what he paid for.

No. Generally he is getting more!
In the old days you bought much more expensive hardware, if it failed outside warranty it was either landfill or you paid for an expensive repair job and your gear disappeared for weeks or more. Then you kept your fingers crossed that the repair job was properly done.
Now if your hardware fails you swap the software to new hardware (generally better/faster and often cheaper than last time) and the software gets a number of updates which generally improve the products. Those utter bastards!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #125
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
No. Generally he is getting more!
In the old days you bought much more expensive hardware, if it failed outside warranty it was either landfill or you paid for an expensive repair job and your gear disappeared for weeks or more. Then you kept your fingers crossed that the repair job was properly done.
Now if your hardware fails you swap the software to new hardware (generally better/faster and often cheaper than last time) and the software gets a number of updates which generally improve the products. Those utter bastards!
In this sense, the purchase of hardware is not analogous to the purchase of software. If you purchase a toaster, it doesn't later refuse to work without first supplying a thumbprint for identification purposes. Although the next version of the toaster may very well do that, the version that you bought does not and never will.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #126
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
In this sense, the purchase of hardware is not analogous to the purchase of software. If you purchase a toaster, it doesn't later refuse to work without first supplying a thumbprint for identification purposes. Although the next version of the toaster may very well do that, the version that you bought does not and never will.

Not an analogy. I was pointing out that you get more with software.
Your thumbprint concept is a silly comparison.
You can continue to use the registered NI products (perhaps without the very latest updates?) using the Service Center as I do. This makes your point null and void.

If you removed NI Service Center (which still works) that was your choice.

Installing and registering newer products requires Native Access. I update everything from there since it is so easy.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #127
Jack Winter

I also don't see the point of this thread. But, if they were to disable service centre and invalidate my currently purchased products it would be something else though. But I still couldn't complain as it's a NFR
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #128
dub tree

Customer: "You changed your EULA! This is betrayal!"

NI: "Yeah, new business model. Your current stuff still works the same as always, though."

Customer: "Yeah but my human rights are being violated because the latest version is not as appealing to me!"

NI: "OK, but really, your current version still works exactly as it did. Literally nothing has changed about that."

Customer: "But antitrust laws! My privacy! Humanity is being destroyed before our very eyes and everyone is complicit!"

NI: "Dude, seriously? Literally nothing has changed about the license you purchased. If you don't like it, don't buy the latest version."

Customer: "But that is a crime against humanity! It is morally reprehensible for you to update your business model for your latest line of products!"

NI: *sigh* "Whatever dude, go complain about it on the Reaper forum. And also, remember that literally nothing has changed about the license you agreed to; we're still honoring it to the letter."
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote