Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
COOKIE 50
Human being with feelings

Default Tempo Mapping Issue

I had a drummer record some tracks for me in Cali and emailed me the .wav files - When I put them into Reaper - Reaper is set at 120 BPM per default but the track plays at 128 BPM like he recorded it - it changes and goes to 134 BPM for a few measures and goes back to 128 all the while Reaper shows reading at 120 BPM - Is there away to load the tracks and have Reaper follow the tempo changes or is it necessary to make a whole new click track to use? Thanks
COOKIE 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOKIE 50 View Post
I had a drummer record some tracks for me in Cali and emailed me the .wav files - When I put them into Reaper - Reaper is set at 120 BPM per default but the track plays at 128 BPM like he recorded it - it changes and goes to 134 BPM for a few measures and goes back to 128 all the while Reaper shows reading at 120 BPM - Is there away to load the tracks and have Reaper follow the tempo changes or is it necessary to make a whole new click track to use? Thanks
If you set to view the Master Track, you can automate the tempo.

Not sure why Reaper doesn't show the Master Track by default. Tempo mapping is common enough.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
COOKIE 50

Default TEMPO MAPPING

When I choose Master Track there is nothing there to view are you saying there should be? All I did was load each individual .wax file KICK SNARE TOM ETC
Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOKIE 50 View Post
When I choose Master Track there is nothing there to view are you saying there should be? All I did was load each individual .wax file KICK SNARE TOM ETC
When it shows the Master Track, click on the automation button and then the Tempo button. Then you can automate the tempo on the grid.

Here's a good video. I'm sure there are more on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJMjg6dA7k
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
COOKIE 50

Default TEMPO MAPPING

Thanks I will check that out!!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
SonicAxiom

one way of quickly getting another project's tempo map into the own project is this:
  1. in the original source project, enable snapping, create a new track and insert an empty MIDI item of the length of the entie song (maybe even a few bars longer)
  2. insert one MIDI note into this MIDI item at its very beginning and another MIDI note at the very last beat
  3. click on the MIDI item to highlight/select it
  4. go into the file menu and select "export project MIDI"
  5. make sure to check "entire project", "selected MIDI items", "merge to single MIDI track" and "Embed project tempo/time signature changes"
  6. define a file name and a location to export and click OK
  7. import this MIDI file into your project; there should come up a dialog, check "Import MIDI tempo map to project tempo at 1.1.00" and click OK

This procedure should preferably be carried out before starting to record or inporting any audio items.

EDIT: Unfortunately, this procedure seems to not always work perfectly if tempo map is fairly complex and includes features like smooth tempo transitions and unconventional time signatures.

I first thought about simply creating an automation item of the entire tempo envelope. This would be the most convenient way. However, master track doesn't allow to create an envelope from it's tempo envelope. I just filed a feature request for this.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 11-17-2018 at 10:30 AM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
MusoBob

Another way here also Tutorial Import Chords or Tempo Map from Audio to Reaper

then if you like

right click Save Link/Target As

ReaTrak set tempo mapped items in selection to constant tempo.lua
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote