Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
IDDQDSound
Human being with feelings

Default Smart Markers aka Action Markers for Live Performance/Automatic Recording, etc.

Hey folks!

One of the more under-utilized aspects of REAPER is the ability to run actions using markers, automatically. I use this feature when I performed with my band using a click, and also use it daily when I record foley or vocals, or anything where I am away from my computer. So anyway, I created a 4-episode tutorial series on this topic, covering some examples of how to use it.

Episode 1: A basic Overview

First Episode is just showing you what they do and how to use them, and the example is hot-swapping MIDI VSTi instruments:

Episode 2: Hot-Swapping Audio Plugins

If you already know how Smart Markers work and how to make them, you can start here. I show you how I use it in live situations to automatically change my sound, either by changing presets on one FX track, or by selecting a different channel entirely:

Episode 3: Automated Recording Assistant

There are many situations, especially these days when we are all locked up and isolated, where you want to record yourself playing guitar or singing or something like that. I find these situations really annoying, having to kinda double as a performer and recording engineer. I have to watch my meters, press record, then get my hands on my instruments/step into a vocal booth, and then come back and stop the recording. Of course takes are a good way of dealing with automating this, but you can also use skip markers which save even more time after you set them up!

Episode 4: Marker Utilities

With all this marker making and somewhat lengthy setups, it's crucial to fully utilize marker utilities in order to not have to start from scratch in every new project, which is why this tutorial is dedicated mostly to saving/loading and moving markers between projects. I'll also show you how to make smart markers from the console.
IDDQDSound is offline   Reply With Quote