Old 04-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Randolph
Human being with feelings

Default Solved - Theme install

The newer theme released, now with version 6 it is no longer a simple just double click the theme file and it is installed.

I wish there was an installer that did it for the user.

Last edited by Randolph; 04-05-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 AM   #2
Randolph

Default Finished - Reaper 6 theme

Not interested anymore.

Last edited by Randolph; 04-04-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
xpander

Adding new themes to Reaper works like before. If you have Reaper already open, simply drag&drop the theme file over Reaper GUI. If you double click on the theme file, a new instance of Reaper will open with that theme if;
-theme files are associated with Reaper in your computer
-nothing prevents actually opening a new Reaper instance

Some themes might be packed, so you would have to unpack them before use. Theme makers have usually added notes about these kind of cases.

Any specific theme you have problems with?
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Adding new themes to Reaper works like before. If you have Reaper already open, simply drag&drop the theme file over Reaper GUI. If you double click on the theme file, a new instance of Reaper will open with that theme if;
-theme files are associated with Reaper in your computer
-nothing prevents actually opening a new Reaper instance

Some themes might be packed, so you would have to unpack them before use. Theme makers have usually added notes about these kind of cases.

Any specific theme you have problems with?
There have been several in the past that after opening the archived file you had to install 3 or 4 components in diffetent locations, as soon as i would see that I would delete the theme.

The most recent one is flat something by LCS, I deleted that one also.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

A theme will always (for a modern theme) be a ReaperThemeZip. That's the theme. Theme makers will sometimes pack it up in a zip file containing other things like scripts and fonts, which IMO they really shouldn't because its confusing to users. But even if they have, you're fine to unzip, load the .ReaperThemeZip in the usual way, and ignore any other stuff entirely.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
dsealer

I always right click and get the option "Open in Reaper"
Old 04-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
There have been several in the past that after opening the archived file you had to install 3 or 4 components in diffetent locations, as soon as i would see that I would delete the theme.

The most recent one is flat something by LCS, I deleted that one also.
That's unfortunate, since one of those files is the actual theme you can install and use the same way that you've been doing until now.

In the case of LCS_Flat-6 & LCS_Flat-6_Light, the 3 other items in the zip are:
- simple instructions for installing the Theme Adjuster script & image folder.
- the theme specific Theme Adjuster image folder
- the theme specific Theme Adjuster script

They are provided so you don't have to make copies of the default script & image folder and rename them.
If you never use the theme adjuster, then they probably don't matter.
If you never use the default again, then they probably don't matter.

::

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 04-03-2020 at 05:38 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
A theme will always (for a modern theme) be a ReaperThemeZip. That's the theme. Theme makers will sometimes pack it up in a zip file containing other things like scripts and fonts, which IMO they really shouldn't because its confusing to users. But even if they have, you're fine to unzip, load the .ReaperThemeZip in the usual way, and ignore any other stuff entirely.
normally I would agree with this, but in the case of the default 6 replacment themes, the extra files are usual providing a custom Theme Adjuster script file & folder so the user doesn't have to make their own.

Or are you saying a custom script and image folder no longer needed now?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
normally I would agree with this, but in the case of the default 6 replacment themes, the extra files are usual providing a custom Theme Adjuster script file & folder so the user doesn't have to make their own.

Or are you saying a custom script and image folder no longer needed now?

I don't know how you get to your script comment.

When reaper 6 is installed all required files are installed where they need to be with no action of the user other than a few basic question regarding the install, why can't this be done with the themes.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
lucas_LCS

Quote:
... what's really happening is you start an new entry in reaper-themeconfig.ini under the name of your new theme. What you see, at that moment, will be a) any changes you have previously made because they've already happened, and b) any new changes you make under the new theme name. But, and its a big but, when you close and reopen Reaper it, will only load the new b) changes because they are the only ones that relate to your new theme.
Does the reaper-themeconfig.ini negate the need for a custom Theme Adjuster script and image folder?
Or do non-default themes still need to make copies of them and rename them with the new theme name?

Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
Randolph

Quote:
That is what it should be but many theme hacks on reaper are not create a single zip file but a file that the user must unpack then install pieces in its location which the creator says if you dont go through all these steps it wont work properly.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
lucas_LCS

Quote:
I don't know how you get to your script comment.
You weren't meant to.
Both the statement and question in that post were for White Tie.
I included the quote to indicate that.

Quote:
When reaper 6 is installed all required files are installed where they need to be with no action of the user other than a few basic question regarding the install, why can't this be done with the themes.
- it would require someone to write a separate program to do this, possible for each custom theme.
- it's not needed

If you click on Options, then select Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder it will open the REAPER source folder in a window for you.
Drop the theme file in the ColorThemes folder and the script file and folder in the Scripts folder.

I understand that this process may seem like too much trouble for some.
In those cases, it's probably best to just stick with the default or use REAPER 5 custom themes instead.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 04-03-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #13
Randolph

Quote:
You weren't meant to.
Both the statement and question in that post were for White Tie.
I included the quote to indicate that.

- it would require someone to write a separate program to do this, possible for each custom theme.
- it's not needed

If you click on Options, then select Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder it will open the REAPER source folder in a window for you.
Drop the theme file in the ColorThemes folder and the sript file and folder in the Scripts folder.

I understand that this process may seem like too much trouble for some.
In those cases, it's probably best to just stick with the default or use REAPER 5 custom themes instead.

I am using a reaper 5 theme file since there is no suitable ver 6 theme.

All the ver 6 themes i have found are just mods of the default ver 6 theme.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:54 AM   #14
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
The theme still 'works' without its theme adjuster. Certainly enough for a user to make an initial judgement of 'ooh, yes, interesting' or 'mmmm nah'. So, just like anything else that gets packaged with the theme, my recommendation is that the user is provided with a seperate .ReaperThemeZip (for easy trying out) and a zipped folder of any other optional(ish) stuff, including any scripts, and yes including a theme adjuster if there is one.

That is my suggestion, because it solves the confusion we see here and have seen so often before.

Quote:
Because that's not how Reaper works. .ReaperThemeZip is the handy portable theme format, it doesn't include this stuff. Maybe it should, but that's a whole other discussion and there's nothing to be gained from hassling lucas_LCS about it, he (like all of us) is just doing his best with what we've been given.

Quote:
Does the reaper-themeconfig.ini negate the need for a custom Theme Adjuster script and image folder?
Or do non-default themes still need to make copies of them and rename them with the new theme name?

Moving your post here so our discussions don't sidetrack the users in the general forum.

Nothing has changed regarding theme adjusters. Any theme adjuster script will save its settings under the name of the theme, and the menu entry link works the same way. As far as Reaper is concerned, the two things work together. The way this gets complicated is because if you mod the Def6 theme you're going to be using the same script parameter values, some of which may have been sent while you were using the old theme, but won't be saved when you make a new theme, so when you restart Reaper it won't apply them because they are saved under the settings for the old theme.

Quote:
That is what it should be but many theme hacks on reaper are not create a single zip file but a file that the user must unpack then install pieces in its location which the creator says if you dont go through all these steps it wont work properly.
No creator should be saying that; its not true. If you come across an example of this, please let me know and we'll get that fixed.

Quote:
I am using a reaper 5 theme file since there is no suitable ver 6 theme. All the ver 6 themes i have found are just mods of the default ver 6 theme.
There's no such thing as a ver 5 or ver 6 theme. As Reaper develops, new theming capabilities are added, but that doesn't mean any theme will necessarily use them all. We pay a heavy price to ensure backwards compatibility with themes, but the payoff is that you don't have to worry when a theme was made; it'll just work.

The default 6 theme has a theme adjuster. Mods of it do too, unless they've broken it. New themes in the future will have their own theme adjusters. Theme adjusters add zero functionality to Reaper; they just allow a theme maker to design a theme so that it has user-facing variables.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:43 AM   #15
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Nothing has changed regarding theme adjusters. Any theme adjuster script will save its settings under the name of the theme, and the menu entry link works the same way. As far as Reaper is concerned, the two things work together. The way this gets complicated is because if you mod the Def6 theme you're going to be using the same script parameter values, some of which may have been sent while you were using the old theme, but won't be saved when you make a new theme, so when you restart Reaper it won't apply them because they are saved under the settings for the old theme.
Thanks for the clarification.
I think I misunderstood an earlier discussion regarding the theme adjuster, partly because I was unaware of the config file for it.

I did some testing and the only benefit I see for having a custom script for my theme is that the Theme Adjuster is accessible from the Options/Themes menu.
Is this the only benefit or is there some other need for making acopy of the adjuster script and renaming the same as the theme name?

Old 04-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #16
Gwilym

I do agree with this thread's premise; a lot of the new themes I've seen since Reaper 6 came out have included an 'installation instructions' section in their write-ups, and those instructions can get quite intricate.

Is just loading a ReaperThemeZip actually adequate in most cases? The instructions usually don't read like they're describing optional steps.

I have to admit to a slight Catch-22 on my part: I generally don't want to install new fonts or scripts until I know I like a theme, but I also don't want to get a bad impression of a theme by running it without the proper fonts or scripts. So in practise I end up just sticking to the default and not really trying new ones.

I'm not saying this is a smart move on my part; it's quite silly reasoning. But I also don't think it's particularly unusual either. It might be a good idea for theme creators to specify that just loading the zipped theme will be enough. I used to tend to assume it was; now I tend to assume it isn't.
Gwilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:46 AM   #17
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
Is just loading a ReaperThemeZip actually adequate in most cases?
Not in most cases; in ALL cases. If the design demands certain fonts, then the text will look wrong, but depending on OS incompatibilities that might happen anyway. If the font in question is a Google font, the themer really should link you to download it from source anyway, since you'll be able to pick your OS. Malware in font files does happen, though its very rare (never seen it myself), so that would be best practice anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
The instructions usually don't read like they're describing optional steps.
I know, and this has been happening a long time despite my best efforts. It really troubles me when themes direct users (who may not understand what's going on) to change permanent Reaper settings and preference without giving clear instructions on how to change them back and that that won't happen just by changing theme.

The thought process here, though very wrong, is completely understandable and forgiveable. No one makes a theme and shares it thinking "when the users try this, they're going to hate it." You think people are going to love it and are never going to want to change away from it, from now till the end of time. The reality, of course, is the user is going to load it up and quite likely make a very quick judgement about whether to persist with it, and like it or not, statistically that judgement is going to be "thanks, but no thanks". IMO Themes should be provided in such a way that they never inconvenience the user for that judgement.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
Randolph

Having to analyze every theme before installing to see what hoops you have to jump through is very inconvenient.

It's not that I am unable to install themes with extra steps, I refuse to waste my time with such nonsense. Ver 4 & Ver 5 that you can just double click the theme zip file and it installs with no further action is how it should be.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #19
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

You have misunderstood the situation; please read my replies.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #20
Gwilym

Thanks, White Tie; your replies clarified the situation a lot.
Gwilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #21
Randolph

Quote:
You have misunderstood the situation; please read my replies.
I didn't misunderstand your statement at all.

A theme would have to be absolutely the greatest theme I have ever seen for me to put the time into taking the compressed file apart to apply pieces separately placing them somewhere.

Last edited by Randolph; 04-05-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:22 AM   #22
Randolph

Default Solved - If I ever use reaper ver 6 theme

How do I get 10 different track layouts, it appears that the most that is possible is three, a, b & c

Last edited by Randolph; 04-05-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #23
xpander

Whatever specific layouts you'd want in the Default v6 theme that are not there, would have to be added by modifying the theme.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #24
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
You have misunderstood the situation
Quote:
I didn't misunderstand your statement
Some words that look similar have different meanings.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #25
rncwalker

Quote:
The newer theme released, now with version 6 it is no longer a simple just double click the theme file and it is installed.

I wish there was an installer that did it for the user.
If the Theme file looks like this: "MythemeBlack.ReaperTheme" or "MythemeBlack.ReaperThemezip"
It will install it self into reaper by clicking on it. Just make sure that if it has the period before Reapertheme and not before zip.

A period before zip, it's just a zip file and no longer a Reaper file.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #26
Randolph

Default I would purchase a license if:

It has been several months since reaper 6 was released and yet no theme that is usable has been created.

I've looked at several so called reaper 6 themes: smooth, ClearView & Flat all of these are just ver. 6 knock off all with the same useless design of only 3 layouts available.

Perhaps I will have to wait till Reaper ver. 7 for a usable theme, till then I guess it is reaper 5 theme.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #27
Jae.Thomas

that must be so terrible for you, I'm sorry
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #28
todd_r

So, you get to use it for free if you don't like a theme? Is this a loophole we're not aware of?
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #29
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
So, you get to use it for free if you don't like a theme? Is this a loophole we're not aware of?
I have a license for reaper 5, why should I buy the licence for ver. 6 when they are not able to provide what works for me.

Until July 1 the license is free.
Read the very top of your screen when you go to the Cockos / Reaper site.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #30
Jae.Thomas

haha ooohhhh this kinda makes sense now
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #31
Randolph

Default A Lua question

How do I set up a icon to start a Lua app., double click just opens the script.
Thanks for your response.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:55 PM   #32
Jae.Thomas

In the actions list, load rescript and then it should show up as an action
Old 04-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #33
Quasar

Quote:
I have a license for reaper 5, why should I buy the licence for ver. 6 when they are not able to provide what works for me.

Until July 1 the license is free.
Read the very top of your screen when you go to the Cockos / Reaper site.
If any of the improvements in Reaper 6 (the MIDI Editor CC curves are a big one for me) interest you, why not get Reaper 6 and continue to use a v5 theme? It works just fine. You don't need a v6 theme to run Reaper 6.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:57 PM   #34
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
If any of the improvements in Reaper 6 (the MIDI Editor CC curves are a big one for me) interest you, why not get Reaper 6 and continue to use a v5 theme? It works just fine. You don't need a v6 theme to run Reaper 6.

I never use the midi editor, I practice the piece on my keyboard till I can do it without errors.
As for using reaper 5 or 6 either will work with the so called ver 6 theme. So not much advantage using ver 6 reaper for me.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #35
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
In the actions list, load rescript and then it should show up as an action

Thanks for your assistance with the script question.
It confirmed suspicion that to use
reaper 6 theme, Reaper 6 is not needed, since the reaper 6 theme will work in reaper 5.
All that is needed is to transplant the script to reaper 5 and set a short cut to it after you set up reascript.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:49 PM   #36
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph
yet no theme that is usable has been created
That's only true for the very few.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #37
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
That's only true for the very few.
Let's do the facts of ver. 6 theme vs my current ver. 5 theme that I use.
Ver 6 has only 3 mixer
2 track layouts

My current ver 5 4 mixer
12 track layouts

Last edited by Randolph; 04-07-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #38
Valle

Quote:
Let's do the facts of ver. 6 theme vs my current ver. 5 theme that I use.
Ver 6 has only 3 mixer
2 track layouts

My current ver 5 4 mixer
12 track layouts
Got it! I guess that's the difference that makes your statement true only for the very few.

I, myself, like the v6 Default Theme and I find it as good and useful as its v5 dito, only the v6 look so much sexier, so ...
Old 04-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #39
AndreiT

Check if you like iLogic V3 from Blankfiles.

It has different layouts and for me it's the most usable theme since V6 came out.
Still waiting for Hydra theme to be compatible with REAPER 6. I cannot use it now.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:06 AM   #40
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

All themes are compatible with REAPER 6