Old 01-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
sammydix
Human being with feelings

Default Sam does Yoko

Haven't posted in a while, but I'm curious. My monitors are fried, so I had to mix this completely in headphones. I have no clue whatsoever how it sounds on monitors and am dying to know. I'm sure there are obvious mix compensations and setting choices based solely on the sound of the phones, but I don't know what they are. Too much/little bass, mids, highs, etc?

Markeau on live drums
Me on everything else.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9phbtahyjn...ryMan.wav?dl=0
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
cyrano

I like your music. And don't worry about the headphones. Sounds good too.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
msundh

Welcome back!
I see no faults in the mix.
I didn't like the low fuzzy guitar tones, I would rather have some sax or something, but that's opions.
Great work!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Sambo Rouge

Hey Sammy!

When I'm forced to use the cans I run the free version of Isone. It is an excellent aide.

You may have it, but just in case: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...ne_Pro&id=2069

Cheers,

SR
Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
morgon

Way cool track, Sammy. A perfect track for a quiet contemplative drink late at night as well, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Hey Sammy!

When I'm forced to use the cans I run the free version of Isone. It is an excellent aide.

You may have it, but just in case: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php...ne_Pro&id=2069

Cheers,

SR
Thanks for the link SR, as I use cans at times also.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I like your music. And don't worry about the headphones. Sounds good too.
Thanks cyrano. I'm used to going back and forth from monitors to headphones to check stuff, but I feel kinda lost using just the phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Welcome back!
I see no faults in the mix.
I didn't like the low fuzzy guitar tones, I would rather have some sax or something, but that's opions.
Great work!
Mix is ok? I thought it would be all over the place. I use a set of mid-ranged Yamaha headphones. They're okay, but limited, and I'm not as familiar to their sound *for mixing* as I am with my monitors. Still good to know the mix isn't completely trashed.

I really like the sax idea and could hear it in my head as I read that. Gonna experiment with a hybrid guitar/sax combo to hear how it sounds.

Thanks man.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Jeffsounds

Pretty cool tune! My only nits would be:

1. The toms could come up a bit. It seemed like the drummer was doing something but it was hard to tell just what it was.

2. The fuzzy guitars are playing a pretty cool hook but they seem a bit forward in the mix. Maybe push them back a bit with reverb? Or just turn them down a touch?

Other than that, I really like the tune!
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Hey Sammy!

Cheers,

SR
Thanks SamboR. I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Way cool track, Sammy. A perfect track for a quiet contemplative drink late at night as well, cheers.
Bet you thought I was gonna do the famous Yoko screech. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Pretty cool tune! My only nits would be:

1. The toms could come up a bit. It seemed like the drummer was doing something but it was hard to tell just what it was.

2. The fuzzy guitars are playing a pretty cool hook but they seem a bit forward in the mix. Maybe push them back a bit with reverb? Or just turn them down a touch?

Other than that, I really like the tune!
Hey Jeff. Balancing was the worst. With both monitors and speakers, I could find a decent balance when one thing sounded loud on the mons, but low on the phones, and vice versa. With just the one (phones) I don't get that option. But yeah, down guitars, up toms. THanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
sammydix

I just listened back and that ending went on forever! It was supposed to fade. Forgot the set it on the master track. *palm*
Old 01-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Bet you thought I was gonna do the famous Yoko screech. heh
Wasn't sure exactly what to expect from the thread title but was glad to hear that kind of mellow style that you use on these ambience mood type tracks, song works great.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #12
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Wasn't sure exactly what to expect from the thread title but was glad to hear that kind of mellow style that you use on these ambience mood type tracks, song works great.
It's a song from John Lennon and Yoko's Double Fantasy that she wrote. I rarely, like once a year if that, do a remake, but I always liked her and Lennon's harmonies in this tune.

Last edited by sammydix; 01-06-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #13
Jorgen

Cool cover Sam, and nice to see you around. I mix on cans too these days, for convenience's sake. Should be doable if you practice your ears to it.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Very cool Sammy, nice work. Had to listen twice because I had the volume turned way down on the first listen fearing that something approaching Yoko's vocal stylings was contained within LOL. The mix sounded fine to my ears.

Last edited by azimuth; 01-08-2019 at 06:08 AM.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #15
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Cool cover Sam, and nice to see you around. I mix on cans too these days, for convenience's sake. Should be doable if you practice your ears to it.
Looks like I'll have to. After the holidays, new monitors aren't in the budget just yet. I'm just used to both, but like you said, I'll have to acclimatize to the phones for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Very cool Sammy, nice work. Had to listen twice because I had the volume turned way down on the first listen fearing that something approaching Yoko's vocal stylings was contained within LOL. The mix sounded fine to my ears.
LOL! No way would I do that to my voice! But hearing the mix sounds fine, more than once, is really surprising me. I'm sure it's not "great," but still it's seems to be "acceptable." I didn't even expect "acceptable."
Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #16
smueske

Hi, Sammy. I listened to this a few days ago in my studio and thought it sounded very good. I'm listening tonight on my phone with Bose earbuds and it's still good but missing a little detail in the air area of the highs. Maybe take a look with some meters, but I'd guess it could use a little love in the 3k - 8k range. Great performance. Much enjoyed!
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #17
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
Hi, Sammy. I listened to this a few days ago in my studio and thought it sounded very good. I'm listening tonight on my phone with Bose earbuds and it's still good but missing a little detail in the air area of the highs. Maybe take a look with some meters, but I'd guess it could use a little love in the 3k - 8k range. Great performance. Much enjoyed!
Fantastic! Thanks for doing that. I think my phones overcompensate in that area, so I undercompensated, thinking I would make things too harsh. Now I know to watch around that range. I rarely use graphs and generally prefer plugins without them, but looks like I'll have to change that for now. Thanks again.

Last edited by sammydix; 01-11-2019 at 05:12 PM.