Old 07-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
Sandking
Human being with feelings

Default microphone mixer?

Hi,

So I got Zoom H5 and at some point I might be using it with more inputs than it provides and since additional capsule inputs don't provide phantom power I was wondering if there is a standalone portable microphone mixer that would have phantom power?
Sandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
karbomusic

It should have phantom power?

Zoom H5 Specs

Phantom Power +12 / 24 / 48 V (Selectable on Individual Inputs)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
vdubreeze

Just be very careful about using the H5 as an interface. It only does so at compromised audio quality.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newb...e-problem.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...istortion.html

Zoom's official response:

https://imgur.com/a/pQQn1P9
Old 07-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandking View Post
Hi,

So I got Zoom H5 and at some point I might be using it with more inputs than it provides and since additional capsule inputs don't provide phantom power I was wondering if there is a standalone portable microphone mixer that would have phantom power?
If you are thinking of the combo small analog mixer with USB interface built in style "microphone mixer", understand that most of those ALSO only have two channels of output to the computer. The Soundcraft MTK12 and MTK22 are the lowest cost ones I know about that give you all the input channels to the computer. You might just want to upgrade to another audio interface with enough inputs for your needs for most bang for the buck.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:30 AM   #5
Sandking

karbomusic - it does have phantom on two inputs but you cal also get a capsule with additional inputs and those don't have phantom. Situation when I need this kind of setup is currently only in plans and not mandatory so probably I will end up using a microphone to get all the speakers at once (tabletalk) since budget is small and I couldn't afford spending more to get H6 just for this. That's why I thought about getting a mixer but I'm not talking about an usb mixer - rather a thing that would actually mix the input and provide one output which I would then connect to H5. I did some digging yesterday and I found such device (which actually provides 5 inputs at almost the cost of what I'd pay for H6). I do realize that I won't get separate tracks but if the setup is ok then it should be fine.

p.s.

As to issue with H5 as interface - I haven't planned to use it as such - I got a separate interface for the computer. But thanks for the link. I was really pondering on getting this for the long time nad it seems that there isn't a one perfect choice. I probably even could get H6 but then I would need to wait longer to get headphones and additional mike and along the way I might just sell it and get H6 anyway.

Last edited by Sandking; 07-24-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Sandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandking View Post
I'm not talking about an usb mixer - rather a thing that would actually mix the input and provide one output which I would then connect to H5.
Think that through for a minute...
The inputs would be permanently mixed together and you would be capturing that mix in the computer. There would be no way to separate the inputs back out in the computer. The mic outputs are analog signals. This isn't like a digital system at that point where signals can multiplex together and be separated back later.

You'd spend just as much on an analog mixer as you would on an audio interface upgrade that has the inputs you need. Oh, and one free of a design flaw that literally makes it DOA as an audio interface! Pick up something for $50 on Ebay.

Time is money too. Spending time dealing with the flaws isn't free.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote