Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Ripper7620
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper has started acting erratically

After the latest update, Reaper has started acting extremely erratically,it's performing all manor of actions on it's own, sound cutting in and out, faders moving on their own, adding markers, changing from beats/measures to seconds/minutes, adding automation items, etc. I've reinstalled the last version of Reaper, shut off all automation preferences I could find, however the madness persists. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong, or if my settings need to be updated. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, and thank you in advance.
Ripper7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Connect all MIDI gear that you use and then go into Preference > MIDI Devices and disable all outputs that aren't absolutely necessary (i.e. any devices you don't control from Reaper). Otherwise you can may have a sort of a feedback loop that can produce the behavior you describe.

While in the MIDI Device prefs you can right click to remove any devices that show up as not present or available. Shift or control click them to select multiple and right click to have Reaper "forget" them.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Ripper7620

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Connect all MIDI gear that you use and then go into Preference > MIDI Devices and disable all outputs that aren't absolutely necessary (i.e. any devices you don't control from Reaper). Otherwise you can may have a sort of a feedback loop that can produce the behavior you describe.

While in the MIDI Device prefs you can right click to remove any devices that show up as not present or available. Shift or control click them to select multiple and right click to have Reaper "forget" them.
Thank you very much for the reply, I followed your instructions carefully, clicked apply, then ok, and restarted Reaper, however the issue still persists. The only output enabled currently is my audio interface(Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB). Also, the issues manifest mainly when I'm playing my keyboard in the upper registers.

Last edited by Ripper7620; 09-23-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper7620 View Post
Thank you very much for the reply, I followed your instructions carefully, clicked apply, then ok, and restarted Reaper, however the issue still persists. The only output enabled currently is my audio interface(Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB). Also, the issues manifest mainly when I'm playing my keyboard in the upper registers.
Project preferences - midi devices - make sure your keyboard is set as enabled but not as control.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper7620 View Post
If Philbo King's suggestion solves your issue then you must be triggering actions with some of your MIDI keyboard keys. To determine that, load the Action screen (press ?), click "Find Shortcut" and press a key on your keyboard. If that keypress is associated with an action, the screen will jump to that action and you can remove the shortcut.

Rinse and repeat :-)

Last edited by uncleswede; 09-23-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
uncleswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
woogish

Don't you mean "mansion"?
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Ripper7620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Project preferences - midi devices - make sure your keyboard is set as enabled but not as control.
Thank you for the reply, no devices are set as controllers.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
Ripper7620

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
If Philbo King's suggestion solves your issue then you must be triggering actions with some of your MIDI keyboard keys. To determine that, load the Action screen (press ?), click "Find Shortcut" and press a key on your keyboard. If that keypress is associated with an action, the screen will jump to that action and you can remove the shortcut.

Rinse and repeat :-)
Thank you for the reply, but it's not letting me remove the shortcuts by disarming them, unless there's another way I haven't found yet. Also, when I hit find shortcut and press the keys, I get the "no shortcut found message".

Last edited by Ripper7620; 09-23-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #9
Ripper7620

Default Issue Resolved

I finally figured out what the problem was, when I first got my keyboard, I didn't know what I was doing to hook it up, so in an effort to make sure I was getting MIDI into Reaper, I both hooked up the USB option to my computer, and also the MIDI out-MIDI in, into my interface. In the beginning, this didn't create a problem, until I introduced a second MIDI controller(NI MK3). I believe this is what created a MIDI feedback issue that was entering commands into to Reaper as I played the keyboard, Reaper was getting 2 sets of MIDI commands, and chaos ensued. I don't believe the Reaper update in any way caused the issue, but rather my own ignorance.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #10
uncleswede

Glad you got it sorted. You can get back to making music again :-)
uncleswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Steviebone

That would do it. I avoid using usb wherever possible. Best to use external power supplies IMO. Your controller probably has settings to keep from sending the signal out both midi and usb at the same time. I have some novation controllers that have two midi outs and usb. It takes some planning/configuration for proper operation.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
woogish

beautiful
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote