Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
Trismos
Human being with feelings

Default How do you use Reaper and You Tube at the same time.

If this has been discussed before please point me there or just let me know if it's not possible but I don't seem to be able to have my cake and eat it in this circumstance. Example: watch and listen to Kenny explain something whilst having a project open and available. Either YouTube or Reaper wants possession of the audio interface (Scarlett 2i4).

Thx
Tris
Trismos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
pbattersby

Maybe there is some mode for Reaper to handle this better, I've tried but haven't figured it out yet, but I can tell you that if you ensure no track is in record mode, and the playback is stopped (not just paused) then Reaper will release the audio interface so Reaper can be open and Youtube can play back audio.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
karbomusic

For ASIO it depends on whether the sound card supports multi-client. If it doesn't, you can probably get it to work by using WASAPI (shared mode) as the driver instead. That should allow both playing at the same time.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
Stella645

Try this:

Windows Sound/Playback/Your Audio device/Properties/Advanced

Untick "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
For ASIO it depends on whether the sound card supports multi-client.
Only true if both audio sources were ASIO which they aren't in this case.

Very few cards are specifically multi client, but many (but it seems not all) can be made to work with ASIO and WMA at same time.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Only true if both audio sources were ASIO which they aren't in this case.

Very few cards are specifically multi client, but many (but it seems not all) can be made to work with ASIO and WMA at same time.
Every card I've owned since 1998 allows what the OP wants, but I've only owned 4 (Delta66, RME: FF800, UFX, BabyFace) and understand some do not. Usually, the trick is if the card has more than two outputs, that can be routed to 1/2 internally, route OS to 1/2, Reaper to 3/4 > 1/2. I've done it that way for 20 years now so I've never actually had this issue.

What I normally do is route reaper to 3/4, then the OS to 1/2, then all other audio apps, browser etc. to use the default OS setting and everything works just as it should. It's better to put the OS on 1/2 because if there is a glitch, card reset etc. the OS will likely choose the first two channels it sees. The scarlet has 4 outputs but I don't know if it's mixer allows this routing.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-22-2018 at 07:21 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Trismos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Try this:

This!

Thanks very much Stella645!

Last edited by Trismos; 09-22-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Add name to thank.
Trismos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
For ASIO it depends on whether the sound card supports multi-client. If it doesn't, you can probably get it to work by using WASAPI (shared mode) as the driver instead. That should allow both playing at the same time.

Oh, never managed to do that with WASAPI - always one or the other, no matter what I try. OTOH no problem with the internal ASIO soundcard.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Oh, never managed to do that with WASAPI - always one or the other, no matter what I try. OTOH no problem with the internal ASIO soundcard.
Yea, I was just parroting what I've heard since it's something I've never had to deal with.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
JSMastering

Is this a windows thing? Is it common? On OS X, literally every audio interface I've used (including built-in ones and some Focusrites) can do this. By default.

Pretty much the only gotcha is that playing both at the same time will probably clip the DAC, but they play together just fine.

ETA: I actually keep a windows machine around just for the heck of it. I just tried it, and Reaper and Youtube play just fine with a Focusrite 2i2 that I had sitting around. No settings or setup required except deselecting Reaper's option to release the driver when unfocused.

Last edited by JSMastering; 09-22-2018 at 11:36 AM.
JSMastering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #11
Spirit

On my secondary DAW I have Reaper running, plus Chrome, Firefox, MediaPlayer, W10 movieplayer thing (don't know the name) and VLC. They can all run simultaneously if need be. Audio interface is a Saffire-6 USB. Not sure what to tell you about the audio settings. Reaper is running Focusrite audio at 44100. W10 reports 48000. Everything plays normally. Meh. Happy to provide more details.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:14 AM   #12
tonybeepbeep

Very interesting thread for me as I have no problems with a Scarlett 2i2, yet when I use a Behringer UMC404HD, I get the exact same problem.

When I follow the info below, the Behringer interface and W10 get stuck in some war of control attrition and I feel compelled to smash up my little home studio room. A solution to the problem may also be to look at the sample rate of the recording input on W10 settings

Quote:
Try this:

tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
Goldreap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
On my secondary DAW I have Reaper running, plus Chrome, Firefox, MediaPlayer, W10 movieplayer thing (don't know the name) and VLC. They can all run simultaneously if need be. Audio interface is a Saffire-6 USB. Not sure what to tell you about the audio settings. Reaper is running Focusrite audio at 44100. W10 reports 48000. Everything plays normally. Meh. Happy to provide more details.

My understanding is that the interface can only be running at one chosen sample rate.

By "W10 reports 48000" do you mean that 48000 is what is set in Windows Sound Settings? Seems to me that if Chrome etc and Reaper are running simultaneously then REAPER must be using that sample rate. Where are you seeing that "Reaper is running Focusrite audio at 44100"?
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
serr

Everything has to be running at the same sample rate and slaved to the same sample rate clock. THAT is what trips people up. Devices are programmed to mute when the samples don't line up and thus the data (coming in at the wrong times/cycles) becomes gibberish. Which translates to "this isn't working".

Not only do you have to create the aggregate device with your OS audio utility app, you have to select the correct master clock and you also have to control the devices from an appropriate control panel. That's the other thing that can go wrong. If one of the devices doesn't play nice with a particular control panel, it will end up with the wrong settings 'sticking' and go silent.

Then there are order of operations for controlling multiple devices! You might find you need to toggle the sample rate on one device first or last and if you don't, it stays with a previous or incorrect sample rate request.

Reaper is a champ with this and allows pretty much every permutation of control scenario. You can disable control from the Reaper control panel in preferences for example, and use a 3rd party control panel when something demands it.

Shake your system out and find the order of operation and control panel combination that works.

There ARE some devices that still refuse to work together and maybe Windows does genuinely have some limitations as well but there are a lot of scenarios that will work if you learn the correct device setup and order of operation to work the controls.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
Goldreap

Serr,

yes, sample rate mismatch can catch you out. An example: You have Windows set to 44100 (and therefore requesting that of your interface, but you fire up a new project in REAPER and in project settings request 48000 (by entering 48000 AND ticking the box next to it) then wonder why you get an error trying to open any old sound outside of REAPER. I think of REAPER and Windows as two masters and the interface as the slave, but the two masters have to agree.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #16
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Serr,

yes, sample rate mismatch can catch you out. An example: You have Windows set to 44100 (and therefore requesting that of your interface, but you fire up a new project in REAPER and in project settings request 48000 (by entering 48000 AND ticking the box next to it) then wonder why you get an error trying to open any old sound outside of REAPER. I think of REAPER and Windows as two masters and the interface as the slave, but the two masters have to agree.
Exactly!

And then everything just stubbornly sits there muting itself until you figure that out.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
My understanding is that the interface can only be running at one chosen sample rate.

By "W10 reports 48000" do you mean that 48000 is what is set in Windows Sound Settings? Seems to me that if Chrome etc and Reaper are running simultaneously then REAPER must be using that sample rate. Where are you seeing that "Reaper is running Focusrite audio at 44100"?
I look again and 48000 is under "line in/out properties" in W10.

I do know that everything once collapsed when I changed all the sample rates to 44 after a W10 update. Fiddling got everything happy again. And just to clarify, all apps can run simultaneously. Also OB screen recorder for Reaper as well (with Kajerhaus routing app)
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote