Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
CEART
Human being with feelings

Default Piano roll manual previous/next note audition, action.

Hi, I need to know if there is an action or some script that allows me to select next/previous note by note in piano roll edit, of course each note is played.

I'm sorry if I missed something in user manual, forum or tutorials but the only thing I have found is 'Select previous note and Select next note' in the MIDI piano roll context menu (right click on any selected note) but I can't assign both menu commands to simple keys strokes as custom action.
I want not combinations or mouse actions, modifiers or behavior etc. just a pair of keys for next previous navigation/audition.

For me it is very important because I have to constantly to audition and analyze notes in harmonic contexts within scales and chords for modifications and corrections on the fly and by ear. BTW, Cubase let do it for default and it's a feature that I've always used for years.
Thanks for help.

Short Cubase reference example:
https://youtu.be/Cj4Jg5cumy8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PianoRoll_next_previous.jpg (49.9 KB, 244 views)
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:46 AM   #2
solger

Try this:

1) Map, for instance, these two Actions from the [MIDI Editor] section to a pair of keys:

- Navigate: Select previous note
- Navigate: Select next note

As a side note: there are also other versions of these two Actions available in the Action List.

2) In addition, make sure that Note preview is enabled. Either via Options > Note Preview in the MIDI Editor. Or via the Options: Preview notes when inserting or editing Action.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
vitalker

https://youtu.be/W-gn5UwmJwU
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Try this:

1) Map, for instance, these two Actions from the [MIDI Editor] section to a pair of keys:

- Navigate: Select previous note
- Navigate: Select next note

As a side note: there are also other versions of these two Actions available in the Action List.

2) In addition, make sure that Note preview is enabled. Either via Options > Note Preview in the MIDI Editor. Or via the Options: Preview notes when inserting or editing Action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Thanks both and everyone helping, which was crucial as I didn't find those actions because I forgot to specify the MIDI Edit section in the Actions windows and search only focused on MAIN.

-cheers-
Old 08-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
vanhaze

The other beauty of the workflow that vitalker showed is this:

- Lets say you have created Chords in MIDI Editor by inserting Notes above each other, created from bottom note of a Chord to a top note of a Chord.

The 2 Actions:
Navigate: select next note
Nagivate select previous note

Let's you then play the next note or previous note of a Chord.
This is great cause with this you can "rehearse" the different Chord notes quickly and easily hear which note(s) are maybe not very good sounding in a Chord.
You then can quickly transpose a Chord Note 1 semitone or down to find a better sounding Chord note.
When you have keysnap set to a certain key/scale, the semitone tranpose Actions will obey that set keyscale.
This might be confusing but is very powerful:
Let's say you have key/snap set to Cmajor.
You have selected a note C.
Now you run the Action "move notes up 1 semitone"
Outcome: the note will not be transposed to C# but to D !
Cause C# is not in key Cmajor, so the transpose action will do another 1 semitone transposition to D.

Great stuff!
Old 08-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
The other beauty of the workflow that vitalker showed is this:

- Lets say you have created Chords in MIDI Editor by inserting Notes above each other, created from bottom note of a Chord to a top note of a Chord.

The 2 Actions:
Navigate: select next note
Nagivate select previous note

Let's you then play the next note or previous note of a Chord.
This is great cause with this you can "rehearse" the different Chord notes quickly and easily hear which note(s) are maybe not very good sounding in a Chord.
You then can quickly transpose a Chord Note 1 semitone or down to find a better sounding Chord note.
When you have keysnap set to a certain key/scale, the semitone tranpose Actions will obey that set keyscale.
This might be confusing but is very powerful:
Let's say you have key/snap set to Cmajor.
You have selected a note C.
Now you run the Action "move notes up 1 semitone"
Outcome: the note will not be transposed to C# but to D !
Cause C# is not in key Cmajor, so the transpose action will do another 1 semitone transposition to D.

Great stuff!
Yes, great! Thanks for the tips. I will try it, keysnap entry notes obeying chord structure is a amazing feature, I frequently use Smart Scales in Key Editor as those are build in Cubase chord track next to event colors function.
It would be great if we could create our own custom scales. Also allow drawing only of the notes in within the scale/chord when the draw pencil is used.
All those sub-features would help a lot to improve even more the performance and power of the MIDI editor in Reaper.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
vanhaze

No thanks !

Regarding Custom Scales, you do have Reascales installed ?
When installed, you get many many extra scales to your availability in MIDI Editor.
https://reaperblog.net/2012/03/how-to-use-reascales/

Ofcourse, these are not custom, but there are so many scales in it, that you maybe don't need to make any custom scales anymore with Reascales.

"Also allow drawing only of the notes in within the scale/chord when the draw pencil is used. "

- I am confused: when Keysnap is ON, you can already draw in notes which obey the set key/scale in Keysnap.
Or do you mean that you wish to see only the set key/scale notes when drawing in ??
Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
CEART

Quote:
No thanks !

Regarding Custom Scales, you do have Reascales installed ?
When installed, you get many many extra scales to your availability in MIDI Editor.
https://reaperblog.net/2012/03/how-to-use-reascales/

Ofcourse, these are not custom, but there are so many scales in it, that you maybe don't need to make any custom scales anymore with Reascales.

"Also allow drawing only of the notes in within the scale/chord when the draw pencil is used. "
I read barely about ReaScale some days ago, you right! good possibilities on scales to explore now I figure out. Thanks. Jiiisus...I still have a lot to study and learn.

Quote:

- I am confused: when Keysnap is ON, you can already draw in notes which obey the set key/scale in Keysnap.
Or do you mean that you wish to see only the set key/scale notes when drawing in ??
I mean wish to see only the set key/scale notes when drawing in