Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
honzasjk
Human being with feelings

Default ReaStream documentation

Hi,
where can I find documentation to ReaStream? I would like to be able to send audio UTP packets from Reaper over wifi and decode them in third party device. Is this possible with ReaStream? Thanks!
honzasjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
mschnell

I did not yet test ReaStream.

There are several solutions (independent from Reaper) that can transmit Audio via network, hardware based and pure software ones, commercial and free ones, each imposing their own paradigms. Vienna and Dante come into my mind. I remember that I once used Wormhole2, as I needed an open source thingy to implement with dedicated hardware.

This said, WIFI is extremely unreliable with streams and not recommended for use with audio.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-13-2018 at 01:07 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
SonicAxiom

currently, you need two computers on the same LAN running Reaper to use ReaStream and HiQ audio won't reliably work over WIFI due to packet loss and high latency. I managed to send and receive 2 channels of audio over the internet via ReaStream. I had to open port 58710 in my internet modem and input the WAN IP of the remote computer (the other person input mine on his side). The streams were fairly stable and audio quality was impeccable (uncompressed PCM). My line is 50 MBits for downstream and 10 MBits for upstream so the audio stream didn't cause congestion. A 2-channel upstream (24 bit, 48k) produces appr. 281 kB/s, thus my line could upstream 8 uncompressed channels. However, I never tested this with ReaStream. It would be great if ReaStream had a built-in, customizable on-the-fly OGG Opus multichannel conversion to reduce upstream bandwith. A DNS name resolution feature would also be great to be able to input real server names like "livestream.studioxy.com" instead of regularly changing WAN IP addresses.

For reliable multichannel audio-over-IP I can recommend DANTE. My studio's control room (incl. digital console, 2 computers and coverter interfacing analog outboard) as well as the three live rooms are all interconnected via DANTE since 2015, easily managing recording signals, cue mixes and SMPTE timecode distribution (plus studio-wide MIDI-over-ethernet thanks to CopperLan). Routing anything to anything (156 DANTE audio channels at all times in my setup) is a no-brainer. No glitches at all even though the internet router is also connnected to the same gigabit switch which is merely at about 1/6th of its capacity.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
honzasjk

I see Dante uses Gigabit switch. Of course LAN is much more reliable over WIFI, but there are few projects based on 5Ghz WIFI that looks good, at least on the web e.g. Audiofusion that utilizes iPhones (with a great advantage of latency over Android phones) for in ear wireless monitoring...I wanted to have similar capability just suited for Reaper. By the way, I would not appreciate audio quality of in ear monitoring. I would be completely fine with mono sound sampled at 22khz 12bit if only the latency was max. 2-3ms and the system was 100% reliable...
honzasjk is offline   Reply With Quote