Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
gigaday
Human being with feelings

Default Microsoft Windows special folder Documents/Reaper Media

Is it possible to specify in Reaper where the Reaper Media directory is.

When I install Reaper it creates Reaper Media in the Windows special folder Documents.

I cannot see how/where I could change this to by some other directory.
gigaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
SiddieNam

Default Options --> Preferences --> Paths

Options --> Preferences --> Paths

Reaper Media I think is just where stuff goes if you choose not to save it anywhere else. But if you go into the above dialogue, you can change where stuff goes by default.

You can also change things on a project by project basis -- once you do a save as, you can choose if you want to Copy or Move all media into the current project folder, then everything will live there for that project, bluntly, unless you proactively put it somewhere else.

I think this will answer your question, but let us know if not and we'll think again.
SiddieNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #3
gigaday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddieNam View Post
Options --> Preferences --> Paths

Reaper Media I think is just where stuff goes if you choose not to save it anywhere else. But if you go into the above dialogue, you can change where stuff goes by default.

You can also change things on a project by project basis -- once you do a save as, you can choose if you want to Copy or Move all media into the current project folder, then everything will live there for that project, bluntly, unless you proactively put it somewhere else.

I think this will answer your question, but let us know if not and we'll think again.
Thanks for your reply. I have to admit that I don't fully understand why Reaper created the Windows \Documents\REAPER Media folder where it did when I first installed Reaper.

Thanks for looking. - Tony

It would not be an issue if it wasn't for the <Project Directory> tree (see attachment) being based on Windows \Documents\REAPER Media. I cannot find where I can specify the path to \Documents\REAPER Media.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-01-24 183144.png (26.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:28 AM   #4
solger

Looks like for new projects the <Project Directory> points to the Default Recording Path set under Preferences > General > Paths.
If no Default Recording Path is set there, the 'Documents\Reaper Media' folder is used by default (and as <Project Directory>).

Otherwise, the <Project Directory> points to the directory of the currently opened project.

Side note: there is also the option to add a specific folder to the left Explorer/Shortcuts/Database panel of the Media Explorer via Right-Click > Add to shortcut list on a folder in the main panel of the Media Explorer.

Last edited by solger; 01-25-2023 at 09:56 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
gigaday

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Looks like for new projects the <Project Directory> points to the Default Recording Path set under Preferences > General > Paths.
If no Default Recording Path is set there, the 'Documents\Reaper Media' folder is used by default (and as <Project Directory>).

Otherwise, the <Project Directory> points to the directory of the currently opened project.

Side note: there is also the option to add a specific folder to the left Explorer/Shortcuts/Database panel of the Media Explorer via Right-Click > Add to shortcut list on a folder in the main panel of the Media Explorer.
Thanks for your help. I still don't fully understand why <Project Directory> is where it is but your tip to "Right-Click > Add to shortcut list on a folder in the main panel of the Media Explorer" is really useful.