Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-12-2022, 03:34 AM   #1
Dram9564
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper not reacting to Yamaha function commands

Hi all,
After many years I now have time to return to music creation. So, I've installed Reaper 5 and dug out my old Yamaha CBX-K1 midi keyboard and connected through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface under Windows 10. I set up a track with a piano instrument and all seems good - the Yamaha key presses show up on the virtual instrument and I can monitor and record sound. The pitch bend and assignable wheels also work fine.
The keyboard should also be able to send function commands using Shift + keys - but Reaper does not respond to any of these
I can send commands using the normal keys, using Reaper midi Learn. But the Learn does not respond when I hit any Shift + keys from the keyboard - the original Mediakey assignments are the only ones showing.
So I'm guessing either the Shift+key commands are not reaching Reaper or these commands are not recognized by Reaper.
I would just like to be able to send record and transport control commands from the Yamaha keyboard rather than the QUERTY.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be really grateful for your kind assistance.
Thanks in anticipation.
Dram9564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #2
nait

Make sure you've set up your MIDI controller as a control surface under Options->Preferences->Control/OSC/web.

Outside of that, if your keyboard does something different with how it controls transport play, etc. (or uses MIDI cc) you might have to remap those actions. i.e. go in actions, search for the transport stuff, and map the buttons. When assigning the MIDI cc to the action, you might also have to experiment with absolute and relative in that case to see which one works.

In my case, with a different MIDI controller altogether (Nektar Impact), I had to install some dlls in the Reaper\plugins dir and then also set it up as a control surface for my transport buttons to work right, but different controllers may work differently. Hopefully one of the above tips will help!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-12-2022 at 09:20 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:07 AM   #3
Dram9564

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Make sure you've set up your MIDI controller as a control surface under Options->Preferences->Control/OSC/web.

Outside of that, if your keyboard does something different with how it controls transport play, etc. (or uses MIDI cc) you might have to remap those actions. i.e. go in actions, search for the transport stuff, and map the buttons. When assigning the MIDI cc to the action, you might also have to experiment with absolute and relative in that case to see which one works.

In my case, with a different MIDI controller altogether (Nektar Impact), I had to install some dlls in the Reaper\plugins dir and then also set it up as a control surface for my transport buttons to work right, but different controllers may work differently. Hopefully one of the above tips will help!
Hi,
Many thanks for your suggestions, which I'll try.
Meanwhile, I've installed Midi-Ox which shows the stream of midi data when I use the keys or wheels, but nothing when I press any Shift+key. So that seems to confirm that Shift+key is not sending data, or at least not in a form that is recognized by Midi-Ox and Reaper. Maybe I'll have to get a new controller. I was thinking of Nektar Impact LX49 but your comment about having to install dlls suggests I may need to do more research. Thanks again, and take good care.
Old 12-13-2022, 05:20 AM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
If I'm not mistaken, the yammy needs shift+key THEN enter...top key C I believe...for decimal input. I'm looking at mine right now. Its in the manual. Unique midi device isn't it? Tuff for my fat, arthritic fingers tho:-) They made some in red in Japan. Mine is 80s computer beige. Oh...and it has an xg sound engine in it and speakers. CBX-K1 XG....rolls off the tounge, doesn't it?

Its hard to remember w/o the manual or constant daily use. But it works:-)
HTH

Guido

Last edited by LugNut; 12-13-2022 at 05:31 AM.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 05:47 AM   #5
Dram9564

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
If I'm not mistaken, the yammy needs shift+key THEN enter...top key C I believe...for decimal input. I'm looking at mine right now. Its in the manual. Unique midi device isn't it? Tuff for my fat, arthritic fingers tho:-) They made some in red in Japan. Mine is 80s computer beige. Oh...and it has an xg sound engine in it and speakers. CBX-K1 XG....rolls off the tounge, doesn't it?

Its hard to remember w/o the manual or constant daily use. But it works:-)
HTH

Guido
Hello Guido,
Many thanks for this - I'll try to find the manual. Mine is the vanilla K1, pre XG, but guess the controls should be the same. Cheers!
Old 12-13-2022, 06:00 AM   #6
Dram9564

Hi Guido
Update - tried your suggestions using both hex and decimal enter keys but MIDI-Ox still doesn't detect anything Guess I might ask Santa for a Nektar controller ...
Old 12-13-2022, 06:08 AM   #7
LugNut

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...ha-Cbx-K1.html

Hi,

I looked at manual and realized that w start/stop commands enter is not needed. Sorry bout that. It could be that reaper doesn't catch mmc...midi machine control.....commands.

But it should see, like program changes, cc's ,etc.

If you don't want drivers, look for class compliant keyboards, or midi din equipped. But you prolly already know this:-) GL
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #8
nait

Just to make sure, in reaper preferences, under midi devices do you have your controller selected with both the enabled and enabled + control checked?

That said, if that other tool isn't showing any MIDI data from your test, I'm not sure that will matter. Like I mentioned earlier, you could go into actions and find the transport stuff manually, press add, and hit the button/key combo on your controller to see if it gets recognized in Reaper, but I'd assume it won't.

Other than that, my only guess is maybe you need a driver of some sort. I saw mention of "CBX-MIDI" on Yamaha site.. not sure if that's something you're using already or if you even need it. Sorry, that's about all I've got!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-13-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
Dram9564

Quote:
Just to make sure, in reaper preferences, under midi devices do you have your controller selected with both the enabled and enabled + control checked?

That said, if that other tool isn't showing any MIDI data from your test, I'm not sure that will matter. Like I mentioned earlier, you could go into actions and find the transport stuff manually, press add, and hit the button/key combo on your controller to see if it gets recognized in Reaper, but I'd assume it won't.

Other than that, my only guess is maybe you need a driver of some sort. I saw mention of "CBX-MIDI" on Yamaha site.. not sure if that's something you're using already or if you even need it. Sorry, that's about all I've got!
Hi Nait,
I can control the transport through actions and assigning the functions to the keys. The issue then is that assigned key also sounds the instrument - eg if I assign Stop to C1, hitting C1 plays the note as well as stopping transport. Not ideal. Theoretically, this would not happen if I could use Shift+C1, but it seems that is not possible. Yamaha support can't help as the keyboard is so old that they no longer have one for testing. I guess the time has come to upgrade, or use something else (other than QWERTY) to control just the transport functions. Pedals maybe?
Anyway, many thanks for your continued support - much appreciated!
PS Love the border collie - I used to train my working collies until we retired

Last edited by Dram9564; 12-13-2022 at 09:55 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #10
nait

Hi Dram,

Thanks for the comment on the border collie! She is great. They are amazing dogs, aren't they?? Loads of energy. In the summer time, I take her out for a lot of bike rides, and she'll just run beside me for as long as I'll allow it. Winters can be a little rough for her (we have some pretty harsh winters at times), but we have some fields I'll have her run around in for a bit. She definitely could use a job.. always looking to me for instructions on what to do. haha

As for the keyboard...
That's too bad that Reaper isn't seeing data from the Yamaha when you use the shift keys. I'm not sure what else to suggest.. maybe someone else has some more ideas though... outside of a different controller. You did mention a Nektar though, and I can say I'm happy with even my basic one. Works great in Reaper.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:40 AM   #11
Dram9564

Quote:
Hi Dram,

Thanks for the comment on the border collie! She is great. They are amazing dogs, aren't they?? Loads of energy. In the summer time, I take her out for a lot of bike rides, and she'll just run beside me for as long as I'll allow it. Winters can be a little rough for her (we have some pretty harsh winters at times), but we have some fields I'll have her run around in for a bit. She definitely could use a job.. always looking to me for instructions on what to do. haha

As for the keyboard...
That's too bad that Reaper isn't seeing data from the Yamaha when you use the shift keys. I'm not sure what else to suggest.. maybe someone else has some more ideas though... outside of a different controller. You did mention a Nektar though, and I can say I'm happy with even my basic one. Works great in Reaper.
Good morning Nait,
Yes, I'll probably get a Nektar as I've seen good reports on integration with Reaper and customer service. I'm a guitarist and my keyboard skills are pathetic so I'm mainly looking for simple control rather than concert-level keys - most note input for all instruments is through various midi-guitar hardware rigs and drum pads. I guess the Panoramas and GXP49 have better keys, but the LX49+ is probably adequate for my purposes and seems good value. I did look at foot controllers but they are more expensive than the LX49+ despite offering fewer controls and no keys - I guess the market for these is less competitive than for keyboards. Any comments you care to offer on the LX49+ would be most welcome before I commit.
Re. your collie, yes they all need to be kept occupied or they tend to become a bit neurotic. They don't need as much physical exercise as most people assume, but they do need to be doing something. Any chance you could keep a few free-range hens? She'll be happy watching and herding them all day, and she'll keep any foxes at bay! I used to start the pups' training with half-dozen hens and they couldn't wait to start 'work' with them every morning.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:05 AM   #12
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dram9564 View Post
Good morning Nait,
Yes, I'll probably get a Nektar as I've seen good reports on integration with Reaper and customer service. I'm a guitarist and my keyboard skills are pathetic so I'm mainly looking for simple control rather than concert-level keys - most note input for all instruments is through various midi-guitar hardware rigs and drum pads. I guess the Panoramas and GXP49 have better keys, but the LX49+ is probably adequate for my purposes and seems good value. I did look at foot controllers but they are more expensive than the LX49+ despite offering fewer controls and no keys - I guess the market for these is less competitive than for keyboards. Any comments you care to offer on the LX49+ would be most welcome before I commit.
I have the LX25+. I think an LX49+ will suit most people's needs, though. The LX49+ is pretty much the same, except throw in two more octaves and some sliders. I like the 25+ because it takes up a lot less space in my desktop, but I used to have a 49-key M-audio Axiom 49. I had to keep that off to the side, and with my space, I just found it pretty awkward to use.

I can say that a 25 key keyboard gets the job done MOST of the time, but there are times that I find myself wishing I had at least one more octave. So, if you have the space, I'd say a Nektar LX49+ would be great. I actually intend to sell the LX25+ after Christmas and purchase an Arturia Keystep 37, but I wouldn't suggest that route. My needs are definitely a bit different. When it comes to working in Reaper, it's all electronic / in-the-box music, for me. I also have a couple of other controllers with all the knobs/sliders/pads I need, so I was just looking for something with more keys that is still small (this is in some ways smaller than the LX25+).

I am definitely not selling the Lx25+ due to not being satisfied though. It has been a great controller. It integrates really nicely with Reaper, and I didn't even use all the features. I'm not sure what features you are looking for, but these Nektars have pretty nice, semi-weighted, velocity sensitive keys. The one downside is they're a little on the noisy side. That'd be an issue, possibly, if you were recording with a mic while playing on the keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dram9564 View Post
Re. your collie, yes they all need to be kept occupied or they tend to become a bit neurotic. They don't need as much physical exercise as most people assume, but they do need to be doing something. Any chance you could keep a few free-range hens? She'll be happy watching and herding them all day, and she'll keep any foxes at bay! I used to start the pups' training with half-dozen hens and they couldn't wait to start 'work' with them every morning.
Unfortunately, we live in the city. We actually could do hens in our backyard, though. That is a good idea. Having something to herd up would definitely keep her busy. I don't know if we could make something like that work, but I'll have a look into that, thanks! There's actually a map on our city that shows permits for people that own them - some not very far away! Maybe we just need to make more friends.. haha

The border collie was actually the wife's idea, as her family had one before. I love our collie a lot, but I don't know if I'd ever get one again unless we had more ways of keeping them occupied. We do pretty well to keep her mentally stimulated, all considered, but it's not the same as them being able to run around on a farm. We do take her to my niece's (about an 1.5 drive away) sometimes to get her running around there. She's got hens and other animals, so it can be fun to watch We also have 2 cats + 2 dogs here, so that also helps keep her occupied.

You are right though, it isn't so much about exercise as it is keeping them doing something. I'm starting to notice that more now that it doesn't always have to be a physical thing. Very good advice!!

Last edited by nait; 12-14-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #13
Dram9564

Quote:
I have the LX25+. I think an LX49+ will suit most people's needs, though. The LX49+ is pretty much the same, except throw in two more octaves and some sliders. I like the 25+ because it takes up a lot less space in my desktop, but I used to have a 49-key M-audio Axiom 49. I had to keep that off to the side, and with my space, I just found it pretty awkward to use.

I can say that a 25 key keyboard gets the job done MOST of the time, but there are times that I find myself wishing I had at least one more octave. So, if you have the space, I'd say a Nektar LX49+ would be great. I actually intend to sell the LX25+ after Christmas and purchase an Arturia Keystep 37, but I wouldn't suggest that route. My needs are definitely a bit different. When it comes to working in Reaper, it's all electronic / in-the-box music, for me. I also have a couple of other controllers with all the knobs/sliders/pads I need, so I was just looking for something with more keys that is still small (this is in some ways smaller than the LX25+).

I am definitely not selling the Lx25+ due to not being satisfied though. It has been a great controller. It integrates really nicely with Reaper, and I didn't even use all the features. I'm not sure what features you are looking for, but these Nektars have pretty nice, semi-weighted, velocity sensitive keys. The one downside is they're a little on the noisy side. That'd be an issue, possibly, if you were recording with a mic while playing on the keys.

Unfortunately, we live in the city. We actually could do hens in our backyard, though. That is a good idea. Having something to herd up would definitely keep her busy. I don't know if we could make something like that work, but I'll have a look into that, thanks! There's actually a map on our city that shows permits for people that own them - some not very far away! Maybe we just need to make more friends.. haha

The border collie was actually the wife's idea, as her family had one before. I love our collie a lot, but I don't know if I'd ever get one again unless we had more ways of keeping them occupied. We do pretty well to keep her mentally stimulated, all considered, but it's not the same as them being able to run around on a farm. We do take her to my niece's (about an 1.5 drive away) sometimes to get her running around there. She's got hens and other animals, so it can be fun to watch We also have 2 cats + 2 dogs here, so that also helps keep her occupied.

You are right though, it isn't so much about exercise as it is keeping them doing something. I'm starting to notice that more now that it doesn't always have to be a physical thing. Very good advice!!
Hi Nait, many thanks for that - I shall go for the LX49+, probably after Xmas/New Year if there's a sale. Hope you won't mind me getting back to you if I have problems - always good to get advice from someone who's been using one.

Keeping a border collie in the city must be a challenge, so congratulations on doing something right because otherwise she'd probably trash the place or be really lathargic and despondent! I'm sure having companions is a big help. I did know of a collie that seemed happy enough watching guinea pigs in their run, but I wouldn't recommend that indoors - they were cute but rather smelly!
Thanks again for all your advice. Take good care.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #14
nait

Yah for sure, no problem helping you out when you get your LX49+.

If you can remember this for when you get it.... first thing you should do is register the keyboard on Nektar's site. At that time, you mention which DAW(s) and OS you use. Once that's done, if you click the My account link, it will show whatever gear of theirs you own, and it will just simply have a link for the install guide and integration files for the DAW(s) you own. They make it nice and simple.

The guide is maybe a little old though, but I think it still explains well. It explains what to do with the integration files and then how to set up the MIDI device and Control Surface stuff in Reaper's preferences. If you get stuck, definitely feel free to PM me, as that will get my attention quicker easier than a post here. There are a fair number of Nektar owners out there though if you want to just post here too. I definitely am more than willing to help, either way!

When we first got Sadie (the border collie), we did have some separation anxiety issues... and I hated to have a border collie sitting in a kennel for 10 hours. Not ideal, so we needed a plan. We were both going to work at that time, but we quickly figured out we need to find ways for her to be busy during that long stretch. We hired someone to come in and walk her a couple of times a day. We also got the second dog. I think the former definitely helped more than the latter though.

Once COVID first hit, however, both the wife and I were able to work from home to the point where we're around all the time. So now life is definitely a lot better, as someone is always around to keep her busy.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #15
Dram9564

Quote:
Yah for sure, no problem helping you out when you get your LX49+.

If you can remember this for when you get it.... first thing you should do is register the keyboard on Nektar's site. At that time, you mention which DAW(s) and OS you use. Once that's done, if you click the My account link, it will show whatever gear of theirs you own, and it will just simply have a link for the install guide and integration files for the DAW(s) you own. They make it nice and simple.

The guide is maybe a little old though, but I think it still explains well. It explains what to do with the integration files and then how to set up the MIDI device and Control Surface stuff in Reaper's preferences. If you get stuck, definitely feel free to PM me, as that will get my attention quicker easier than a post here. There are a fair number of Nektar owners out there though if you want to just post here too. I definitely am more than willing to help, either way!

When we first got Sadie (the border collie), we did have some separation anxiety issues... and I hated to have a border collie sitting in a kennel for 10 hours. Not ideal, so we needed a plan. We were both going to work at that time, but we quickly figured out we need to find ways for her to be busy during that long stretch. We hired someone to come in and walk her a couple of times a day. We also got the second dog. I think the former definitely helped more than the latter though.

Once COVID first hit, however, both the wife and I were able to work from home to the point where we're around all the time. So now life is definitely a lot better, as someone is always around to keep her busy.
Hi Nait,
Again, many thanks for all your help. I'll certainly follow your advice once I get the kit. Meanwhile, take good care and feel free to keep in touch. Kind regards
Old 12-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #16
nait

Anytime, take care, and talk to you later!