Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 10-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #1
pj geerlings
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Out Alias Name Utilization

Greetings all ...

I have a desktop computer that I use for song development and a laptop for live performance. The USB interface on the desktop is not exactly the same as the laptop. The desktop is an IK Multimedia AXE I/O and the laptop uses an IK Multimedia AXE I/O Solo.

I have aliased the MIDI Output in both instances of REAPER to "IKM MIDI OUT" in the hope that I could avoid having to edit each song's MIDI output device when it gets copied from the Desktop to the laptop. So far this isn't working...

Is there a way to get both instances of REAPER to recognize/use the available output suggested by the single alias name?

-pj
pj geerlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Fergler

From my understanding MIDI devices don't work that way. There is a hardware ID that it is concerned with, not the name. My recommendation would be to use an application like Loopbe1 on windows or MIDIPipe on Mac to aggregate your two devices. They will still function if one or the other is disabled, but Reaper won't see any changes. Besides that, you can also do all sorts of fun stuff with the MIDI if needed.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #3
pj geerlings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
From my understanding MIDI devices don't work that way. There is a hardware ID that it is concerned with, not the name. My recommendation would be to use an application like Loopbe1 on windows or MIDIPipe on Mac to aggregate your two devices. They will still function if one or the other is disabled, but Reaper won't see any changes. Besides that, you can also do all sorts of fun stuff with the MIDI if needed.
Yes, I do appreciate the suggestion, Fergler. Thank you! I did a little more research and thought that perhaps a MIDI Pipe might do the trick. ... But then ...

I found out about an hour ago that creating a global MIDI I/O Port alias in REAPER Preferences does not automatically percolate this update into each project - in retrospect this is probably a reasonable behavior. So ...

I edited (some of) my desktop projects to reflect the (new) MIDI alias output label, saved 'em and then transferred the whole mess to the laptop. And ...

It appears to be working (!) The alias "IKM MIDI OUT" appeared in the MIDI Out field of the MIDI track of each song that I had updated on my desktop and the IKM Axe I/O Solo seems to be getting the MIDI messages.

I'll go back tomorrow and update a few more random projects and try the experiment again. I remain hopeful!

-pj
pj geerlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
mschnell

The Midi mapping is defined in a Reaper ini file.

Theoretically you could tweak that file to have Reaper see corresponding midi device IDs on the two computers.

Another option might be using Bome Midi Translator, which acts as an intermediate Midi device. But I don't have any experience with same.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:24 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

If you right click on each device in the output list, you can set the ID used by it -- if you set the desired device on each system to ID "5" for example, then select the device in the track's hardware output, then the project will access that device on each system.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote