Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Default stretch points without rate slope?

I did a search for this already, and found a thread that kind of asks the same thing, but not.

I've never noticed time stretching actually changes the play rate in a logarithmic way, or a rate slope. I always thought that when you moved a stretch point, that it just uniformly changed the duration of both areas on left and right of the strech marker.
so the beats in between stretch markers are not symmetrical, one side of the stretched section is playing faster than the other side. there is a rate slope being generated. This causes a beat in the middle of a stretched clip to "swing" or "gravitate" toward one side of the other depending on which direction the rate slope is rolling. this can result in undesired timing effects.

so is there a way to do this without "physically" splitting the audio and manually stretching each clip? I don't want to have a rate slope all the time. Searched the options, didn't see a toggle for the feature.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Philbo King

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I found a setting to disable up/down movement of stretch markers. Now they only move left/right. It made stretch majer edits much simpler and effective for me. And the rate slopes are now all strictly horizontal lines.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I can't remember exactly what I did, but I found a setting to disable up/down movement of stretch markers. Now they only move left/right. It made stretch majer edits much simpler and effective for me. And the rate slopes are now all strictly horizontal lines.
Damn Philbo, I wish I knew about that option, I've spent days trying to stretch a piano track to match up with a drum track, finally figured out that if I was real careful about only moving the markers horizontally, it worked OK.

I gave up on trying to get the piano track to match up and posted on the forum for someone to record the piano track using the drum, bass, and rhythm guitar parts I've already recorded. I think it will be a better quality product in the end going that route, but I learned a lot about stretch markers, they're pretty cool when you know how to use them.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
I did a search for this already, and found a thread that kind of asks the same thing, but not.

I've never noticed time stretching actually changes the play rate in a logarithmic way, or a rate slope. I always thought that when you moved a stretch point, that it just uniformly changed the duration of both areas on left and right of the strech marker.
so the beats in between stretch markers are not symmetrical, one side of the stretched section is playing faster than the other side. there is a rate slope being generated. This causes a beat in the middle of a stretched clip to "swing" or "gravitate" toward one side of the other depending on which direction the rate slope is rolling. this can result in undesired timing effects.

so is there a way to do this without "physically" splitting the audio and manually stretching each clip? I don't want to have a rate slope all the time. Searched the options, didn't see a toggle for the feature.
Are you stretching an item (with the little hand icon), or are you using stretch markers? I also always thought stretching an item changes the playrate for the whole item equally....are you sure that's not the case? I can see it not being the case with stretch markers, as was already noted.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
reapercurious

thanks for the replies,

I'm dropping stretch markers on an audio track and I just noticed the mouse pointer changes from a sideways arrows to a vertical arrows, but it's easy to accidentally try to make an adjustment while the arrow is the wrong type, thereby causing rate sloping.

it would be nice if the only way to engage the rate slope tool was a special shortcut.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
reapercurious

I was just having a problem with being unable to un-rate-slope a section with the time stretch markers.

when did this feature arrive? it seems like a fun feature but it seems like a rather niche kind of effect to have always on.

is there a way to turn off the rate slope on time stretch marker sections?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
Badgie

Default Me too!

I'm getting this as well. Imove one stretch marker (well, they are transient guides actually) and it's fine. Move to the next one and move it, *with* the cursor showing a horizontal double arrow, and I get the rate slope thing. I had done a bunch of stretch edits just fine but now all the subsequent edits are sloping.

I've tried Ctrl-Zing back a bit and looked at the Action list but it seems as though a preference has changed somewhere (maybe I've mishit some key combo). I've no idea where to find the option or even what it would be called.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Badgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
serr

Stretch markers follow the item properties setting for "Preserve pitch when changing rate" just like item edge option-drags.

Unticked is classic linked pitch/time. Veri-speed mode just like how an analog tape deck works. As you stretch the audio longer, the pitch lowers. This is also lossless FYI. (ie. If you stretched audio back to the exact original length in samples, it would null 100% with the original. This makes for truly lossless digital speed correction in restoration work with analog sources.)

Ticked is the separated pitch/time "DJ tricks" mode. Stretch the length and the pitch is altered to remain the same. Alter the pitch and the length/tempo is altered to remain the same. This can't be lossless of course - it's a pretty big alteration - but the Elastique Pro algorithm lets you go pretty far without glaring artifacts.

Sounds like you are looking for the "DJ tricks" mode.
Select the items you with to stretch, open item properties and tick that box.
"DJ tricks" mode is actually the default in Reaper out of the box.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
ayskura

how do you remove this slope? it's really not useful at all... I just want to move the traansients keeping the pitch costant, not gradually slowing down... How I can remove this "feature" ? It's making me lose one day for no reason at all!
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:21 AM   #10
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
how do you remove this slope? it's really not useful at all... I just want to move the traansients keeping the pitch costant, not gradually slowing down... How I can remove this "feature" ? It's making me lose one day for no reason at all!
I think I figured it out. if you alt-drag a stretch marker, the marker stays in place but the audio stretches at a flat rate slope. That's what I want.

but the bad stuff happens if I try to move a stretch marker. So I'm going to try not to ever move a stretch marker anymore because while I am beatmapping, I can work for hours without creating a rate slope but one wrong mouse drag and I'm in Rate Slope purgatory again.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:12 PM   #11
skylar_battles

How can this be achieved? I’ve thought of just removing all of the mouse modifiers for stretch marker slope so that they can’t be adjusted in any way but that seems like a strange workaround and also that they would still be visually present.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #12
skylar_battles

another bump
Old 02-04-2023, 08:56 AM   #13
jrk

If you mess up your stretch markers (i.e. add slope when you don't want to),
here's a little EEL script that'll make them flat. Maybe this will help. After the fact, I know, but...

I think the stretch will end up at the mean of the start and end (since it doesn't move the marker)... maybe not what you'd want. Or maybe it is.

Make a time selection around the markers you want to flatten, make sure the item is selected, run this script.

Code:
GetSet_LoopTimeRange(0, 0, start, end, 0);
item = GetSelectedMediaItem(0, 0);
item_start = GetMediaItemInfo_Value(item, "D_POSITION");
take = GetActiveTake(item);
sm_c = GetTakeNumStretchMarkers(take);

Undo_BeginBlock(); 

i = 0;
while(i<sm_c)
(
	GetTakeStretchMarker(take, i, pos);
	ppos = pos + item_start;

((ppos >= start) & (ppos<=end))?
	(
	    SetTakeStretchMarkerSlope(take, i, 0);
	);
	i +=1;
);

UpdateItemInProject(item);
UpdateArrange();

Undo_EndBlock("Flatten stretch markers in time selection", -1);

Last edited by jrk; 02-04-2023 at 09:24 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:33 AM   #14
skylar_battles

Thanks for sharing the script! For now I just removed all of the mouse modifiers for stretch marker rate so the rate isn't possible to adjust. Not perfect but it prevents error.