Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 08-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
bassface
Human being with feelings

Default Triggering Visual Clips from samples

Hello,
Is it possible to trigger visuals using a sampler?
I see no straightforward way to do this, but Reaper has such impressive support for video that I feel like it must be possible. I know Ableton can do it.

I was wondering if there is a workaround.

Can I have a separate project where my midi notes are set to skip to different markers while still playing sound in a different project?

Thanks
bassface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
mschnell

A Warm Welcome to the Reaper forums !

Really interesting question !
While there is an option to run multiple instances of Reaper, hopefully it is possible with just two project tabs in a single instance.

I do know that there is a possibility to route audio between project tabs (using ReaRoute)

But I don't know if it's possible to route Midi between project tabs.

Moreover to trigger start/stop/jump etc you need events and those are not triggered by normal Midi, but by messages on the "Reaper Control Path". I Even don't know if there is a single control path for all tabs (with that your issue would be solved) or if each has it's own.

At best you might want to ask HelgoBoss in the ReaLearn Thread. I suppose ReaLearn could be the premium tool for this.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

It theoretically can be done with relatively short clips using the video buffer system I designed for my delay presets. You’d kind of need to “load” the videos by actually playing them into the buffer at the start of each session, and it’s likely to want a ton of RAM, but it’s an interesting idea.

I haven’t yet tried sending midi to the video processor, but I’m sure it can be done. There are other ways to trigger the thing, too, though.

PS - With still images, it’s relatively easy, but to play motion video is where it gets a little more complicated.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
mschnell

I got an answer from HelgoBoss in the other forum :

"A ReaLearn instance that is loaded as part of a project (not as monitoring FX) executes targets in that particular project. I went to great length to make exactly this possible. So if you navigate to another tab and enable "Run background projects" in the REAPER project tab context menu (or similar name), you should be able to control the background project from ReaLearn."

I don't understand this exactly, but it seems worth a try if that is exactly what you need.

-Michael
Old 08-10-2022, 11:20 PM   #5
mschnell

More from HelgoBoss:
"Not sure if REAPER can show video from a background tab, but ReaLearn can definitely control the transport of a background tab, just tried that."
-Michael
Old 08-11-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
helgoboss

Just tried it and found that (at least by default) REAPER doesn't show the video of background projects. That means the project tab showing the video must be active. The audio/MIDI-only project can be in the background (just make sure that "Run background projects" and "Run stopped background projects" is active). Or maybe even better: Just use one project for everything (video/audio/MIDI).

Then you can use ReaLearn to jump to specific videos and control playback. Here's a small setup I tried successfully: https://imgur.com/a/J0Pq6CP
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:49 PM   #7
bassface

Thank you all!
bassface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 12:12 AM   #8
mschnell

AFAIK, recently there has been an improvement regarding video in background tabs (maybe still only in the pre-release versions of Reaper's).