Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
tonybeepbeep
Human being with feelings

Default Waves V10 plugins causing me grief

Hello all

I just installed the latest Abbey Road mastering offer from Waves and it only loaded as a bridged x86 version, despite being x64. Now all Waves plugins loads as bridged x86 and the VST3 versions have been renamed to what looks like machine code from the 1980s.

Am on v5.96 on a W10 system

Any ideas?
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
ivansc

Yet another Waves SNAFU.

Not a good thing, but the surest way to "fix" this is to completely uninstall everything you can find on your system relating to Waves, then use Waves Central to download and install your stuff from scratch. As I have said many times, this is essentially down to Wave`s insistence on hanging onto their decrepit "Waves shell system" and also failing to run a search-and-remove routine to get rid of their old plugins etc.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
karbomusic

I assume you cleared the cache and rescanned instead of trying to point reaper to some waves DLL - the latter will cause weird stuff like you just described, otherwise what Ivan said.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
Jorgen

I've had some problems too. Bought a new plug, Reaper didn't find it on scanning, so I manually created a vst path to that Waves icon... the next scan, Reaper installed a ton of unknown plugs and a bunch of presets for the ones I bought -- and for good measure the 32-bit ones too. Cluttered the fx-window totally.

Only thing I came up with was to rename the lot (took ages) so that I at least didn't see them.

And today, mysteriously, the old demo of Abbey Road plates has resurfaced in the fx-list.

I've had a good look at that Waves central thing, but it only shows my own plugs, not everything else they installed. I should have alerted Waves about this, just haven't got around to it.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
ivansc

If you had used Waves Central to do everything, it should have only installed the stuff you own or are demo`ing. Mine sure does.

Looks like you may have to follow my advice earlier & uninstall everything (and I do mean everything) then reinstall via Waves Central.

And, of course, once that is all done, CLEAR\re-scan in reaper.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:13 AM   #6
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Yet another Waves SNAFU.

Not a good thing, but the surest way to "fix" this is to completely uninstall everything you can find on your system relating to Waves, then use Waves Central to download and install your stuff from scratch. As I have said many times, this is essentially down to Wave`s insistence on hanging onto their decrepit "Waves shell system" and also failing to run a search-and-remove routine to get rid of their old plugins etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I assume you cleared the cache and rescanned instead of trying to point reaper to some waves DLL - the latter will cause weird stuff like you just described, otherwise what Ivan said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I've had some problems too. Bought a new plug, Reaper didn't find it on scanning, so I manually created a vst path to that Waves icon... the next scan, Reaper installed a ton of unknown plugs and a bunch of presets for the ones I bought -- and for good measure the 32-bit ones too. Cluttered the fx-window totally.

Only thing I came up with was to rename the lot (took ages) so that I at least didn't see them.

And today, mysteriously, the old demo of Abbey Road plates has resurfaced in the fx-list.

I've had a good look at that Waves central thing, but it only shows my own plugs, not everything else they installed. I should have alerted Waves about this, just haven't got around to it.
My first question would be does Waves Central delete all instances of Waves plugins or do I need to manually delete things from the registry etc?

Second question/observation is, with a Waves problem it helps to search this forum. I've uncovered multiple threads so far with similar problems.

Thanks all
Old 10-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #7
ivansc

In theory it should replace all the files it is updating including (of course) the shells.

But as far as I am concerned, once I had gone on a real serious search-and-destroy mission to remove EVERY existing waves file or folder on my studio machine, Waves Central has behaved perfectly.

Try it and let us know if you still have issues.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #8
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
In theory it should replace all the files it is updating including (of course) the shells.

But as far as I am concerned, once I had gone on a real serious search-and-destroy mission to remove EVERY existing waves file or folder on my studio machine, Waves Central has behaved perfectly.

Try it and let us know if you still have issues.
Will do. Looks like Friday will be my first chance to sit down and blitz the files.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #9
ivansc

Good luck but do make sure you look in ALL your folders for that Waves folder icon! Blue surround & red letters for the modern ones if I remember correctly.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #10
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Good luck but do make sure you look in ALL your folders for that Waves folder icon! Blue surround & red letters for the modern ones if I remember correctly.
Waves were kind enough to send me this response to my open ticket

Quote:
Hi Martin,

I suggest a complete uninstall-reinstall.

If you have IR convolution reverb impulse files, please back up the following folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\IR1Impulses
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\IR1Impulses V2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\Acoustics.net Impulses (if exists)

First, uninstall:
Launch Central.
Go to Install > Uninstall, check mark both boxes and click Uninstall.
Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Central.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86) and delete the Waves folder.
Press [Win key]+R, type %AppData% and hit Enter.
In the Roaming folder that shows, drag the Waves Audio folder to your desktop.
Press [Win key]+R, type %LocalAppData% and hit Enter. In the window that shows, delete the Waves Audio folder.
Press [Win key]+R, type %ProgramData% and hit Enter. In the window that shows, delete the Waves Audio folder.
Delete any WaveShell files you find in the following locations (if exist):
C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-ins
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ DigiDesign\DAE\Plug-Ins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\WPAPI

Now to re-install:
Download and install Central.
Run Central and log in.
Go to Install Products.
On the left column, select Online.
In the middle column, click on My Products and select the products you wish to install.
Click Install on the bottom right. (Do not update or remove if asked only install)
Download the v.9.92 Offline Installer for Windows
Unzip the folder to your desktop.
Launch Waves Central and click on Install Products
In the left panel, click on Select Offline Installer.
When prompted, highlight the Waves- 24.5.18 folder on your desktop and click Select folder/Open.
In the middle panel, select the products you wish to install. Click Install. (install only your V9 products)
Thanks for the advice. I undertook all the steps last night and it worked a treat.

I owe you a virtual pint!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:00 AM   #11
ivansc

Nah just add your mental process pool to all the Virtual Vibes we are sending to Waves to ditch their stupid-ass shell modus operandi.

As far as I know nobody does this sort of crap but them, so why do they insist on going against the tide?

end of rant

<Start>
<goto Waves>
<complain>
<goto Start>

execute:

Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 AM   #12
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
Waves were kind enough to send me this response to my open ticket
Thanks for the advice. I undertook all the steps last night and it worked a treat.
Why only install the version 9 plugs?
Old 10-28-2018, 03:30 AM   #13
ivansc

Because if that is the version that you own, they wont work if you install version 10 without paying to do the WavesUp, which in my case is about $225 for a bunch of plugins that they ahvent really changerd in decades

So the choice is pay the money or stick with V9. Wondering how much fun this is all going to be when I buy a V10 plugin...
Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #14
Jorgen

I have v9 and v10 plugs. Maybe I should just leave it as it is.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #15
ivansc

IF its working you currently have the best of both worlds, I suspect. When you installed your V10 only plugins Waves Central weould have automatically upped you to V10 at the same time.
Wondering if it also re-upped your Waves UP for another year on all your plugs or is it just the ones you bought?

Somehow I sorta doubt it.....
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
BlessedOne72

Default Waves v10 definitely not working on a so called, "Hackintosh"

Okay ...

I'm on a Hackintosh ; macOS High Sierra Version 10.13 .

This is not only REAPER-specific, but Waves v10 plugins crash REAPER (as well as Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 11) .

I've only got one Waves plugin installed ; the new Abbey Road Mastering - plugin, which I installed through Waves Central . My Licenses are on a USB-stick (which is in FAT32-format) .

The installation went smoothly, but as soon as I try to use it (on forementioned DAWs) they DAWs just "go down" .

On Windows platform (on the same PC) the plugin works flawlessly on REAPER / Pro Tools / Harrison Mixbus 5

Any tips ... ?

/ BOne .
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #17
ivansc

Unfortunately, I suspect this has more to do with you using a hackintosh than anything else. Certainly gives waves a good excuse not to really spend much effort on trying to help you. Bummer.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
LoganM

I have both V9 and V10 plugs and the stuff that is the waves shell V10, the AR mastering stuff and the Hverb and the schep stuff, take forever to load when I open a new project. The V9 stuff loads quickly but each instance of a V10 can take 2-4 minutes to load when reaper is first stated and the plugs are loading on the first screen. Anyway to speed this up. I could render the track with version 10 and remove the initial track but then I'd be committing to the plug before i want to. Take care, Logan
LoganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 AM   #19
ivansc

If it was me, I would be following my advice given right at the start of this thread. Uninstall *ALL* Waves files & do a full clean install via Waves Central.

Make sure you also do the mine-sweep operation to find and destroy any pre-Waves Central stuff that got left behind. This is what usually gives problems.