Old 09-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
InfiniteDimensionality
Human being with feelings

Default Sampler like sampleomatic

But where we can import audio items and assign a note per item.

Basically I have a bunch of items loaded(from one large item but split by hand in reaper) and I'd like to play items based on notes.

Rather than have to export all the items and load them in to a sampler, it would be nice if I could use a plugin and just select the item and assign a note to it. When that midi note is played it plays the item, no pitch shifting or anything.

Something like samplomatic but for individual items(rather than a single item).

Last edited by InfiniteDimensionality; 09-17-2018 at 06:50 PM.
InfiniteDimensionality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
mschnell

I never tried this, but AFAIK, NI Kontakt is a tool that is crafted for that purpose and hence should be decently workable.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-18-2018 at 06:58 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:00 AM   #3
Masi

Use TX16Wx. I think that's the kind of software you're asking for. It has a great free version and the pro version comes with a Reaper like pricing.

http://www.tx16wx.com/

And besides Kontakt you may have a look at UIV Falcon.

or if you want to go vintage have a look at TAL-Sampler.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I never tried this, but AFAIK, NI Kontakt is the a tool that is crafted for that purpose and hence should be decently workable.

-Michael
But this requires me to add samples as files, not samples that are audio items in reaper. kontakt has no idea about reaper. This is is going to either take a script(with midi input, which I think does not exist, and also outputs to the engine so it can be rendered), possibly a jsfx(but still needs access to audio items), or reaper itself).
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #5
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Use TX16Wx. I think that's the kind of software you're asking for. It has a great free version and the pro version comes with a Reaper like pricing.

http://www.tx16wx.com/

And besides Kontakt you may have a look at UIV Falcon.

or if you want to go vintage have a look at TAL-Sampler.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

Masi
The problem is that all these require samples as files, not as reaper audio items.

Also, I do not need anything complex.

If a jsfx could have access to any audio item in the arrange it would be very simple.

I really just need to assign a midi note to an item and play it, nothing fancy like pitch shifting, ADSR, etc...

I play a B note in midi, and it plays some audio item I've assigned to it.

If the devs would add the ability for jsfx to access midi items such as using a slider,

slider1:0<_AudioItems_[%name%{A*item}]>

say,

where *A*item is just a filter that limits the items names, just so the list isn't infinite then the user can easily assign an item.

slider1 returns the item name as a string.

Then _AudioItems_[slider1](t) would get the audio bits for that item at time = t(with t = 0 the start of the item).

These two simple things would easily allow one to do what I ask and even more advanced things and should not be all that difficult to implement.

Of course, other methods could be used, what is important is some way to use them.

Scripts can get audio items easily and do all the assignment but the cannot insert audio in to the render stream AFAI nor can they really do anything with midi.

These disconnects is what makes it difficult to combine their functionality to actually get things done.

What would be nice, also/or, is to have have JS fx interact with scripts.

e.g., a jsfx can launch a script that handles certain things and they can communicate through gmem like functionality or some other method.

Again, the main thing I'm trying to avoid is having to render all the items to individual files and then load them in a sampler.

I suppose a sampler that could load a single file and assign parts to different notes would work but I have multiple audio items with multiple parts so it would have to be a little more robust.

I'll probably have to go that way since I doubt I'll get what I ask... at least any time soon.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
mccrabney

rs5k + mpl's scripts will do what you're trying to do. you split items in reaper and run a script that assigns the selected items to midi notes starting at a specified note. there's an older, maybe unsupported version that doesn't render.

also, if you have only a few, you can double click the note range knob in rs5k and it'll default to the last received note

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-18-2018 at 05:35 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
rs5k + mpl's scripts will do what you're trying to do. you split items in reaper and run a script that assigns the selected items to midi notes starting at a specified note. there's an older, maybe unsupported version that doesn't render.

also, if you have only a few, you can double click the note range knob in rs5k and it'll default to the last received note
This still does not seem to do what I want. You have to drag and drop actual audio files and NOT audio items(reaper audio items).

Again, I don't want to have to render all the cuts just to assign them. I should be able to just assign them from the arrange view where they are located. Having to jump through a bunch of hoops to achieve something that requires no hoops is not a solution I'm looking for.

Having to chop up a thousand different samples and render them to a file when they are already chopped up in reaper with all the loop info and data is not the way to go.

The script definitely could automate this but it doesn't have the ability the best I can tell.

I should just be able to select an item and assign it to a pad... simple as that. Takes about 1 second for each item.

Reaper sampleomatic already has an "import from arrange". I suppose I could manually go through all and open sampleomatic and click the button... take about 10 times longer than it should though(e.g., 1hr vs 10hrs for all those that can't do math).
Old 09-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
mccrabney

you've seen import from arrange.

this is the mpl script

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
InfiniteDimensionality

Thanks, yeah, I'll play around with it and see.

I have a little bit more complicated setup in that I have a matrix of items that I would like to assign so that rows get mapped to an octave(< 12 items in a row) and columns get mapped to a pitch in the octave or vice versa.

I suppose I could use one instance per row or column then combine them all though, probably the easiest way for now...
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #10
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
you've seen import from arrange.

this is the mpl script

This is nice, but we need at least a 8 out version of this.

Example:
item 1: goes to out 1
item 2: goes to out 2
item 3: goes to out 3
item 4: goes to out 4
item 8: goes to out 8
item 9: goes back to out 1, as we have only 8 outs

If we have e.g. 16 outs, item 17 would go back to out 1. In short, this should use multiple tracks, not a single track. For 8 out case, using 8 tracks. For 16 out case, using 16 tracks. Not sure, maybe this exists already, did not check mpl's stuff for a long time.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #11
Vagelis

Also don't forget mouse modifier pass through to item drag context where you can drag n drop audio from arrange into any sampler that is supported which means no need to export each time your audio to open it from a sampler.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
dalim.biswas

Default slicing and automap function lacking

samplomatic must have slicing function builtin to make beats easier if they want to go ahead in beat making segment and also have right automap features without using mpl script ,its a shame mpl script has done lots easier rather native function .common reaper yu are remembered for customizing everything .
dalim.biswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 AM   #13
mschnell

Samplomatic is a free plugin by the friendly developers od Reaper, that comes with the Reaper distribution. So the chances for requested upgrades are close to zero (especially regarding the funny name).

I suppose the are a lot plugins out there that are much more dedicated to the purpose that you have in mind.

-Michael
Old 10-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
deeb

Quote:
I suppose the are a lot plugins out there that are much more dedicated to the purpose that you have in mind.

-Michael
You suppose not right, good simple samplers are almost not existant. All major Daws have native samplers, reaper has one but is not useful and if you think that a sampler does not benefit by being integrated you don't know what you are talking about.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #15
mschnell

Supposedly Kontakt is one of the most viable samplers out there. I in fact did not use it for creating libraries, but I heard a lot stories that suggest it can do close to anything in that area. (And I don't see why anyone would expect that Reaper comes bundled with any prime-time VST plugins out of the box, it's nowhere advertised or rumored for such.) Is somebody wants an integrated sampler to support their workflow, maybe Reaper is not the right way to go.
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
deeb

Kontakt is not a simple sampler. It's a monster sampler and so not suited for simple usage.

"Is somebody wants an integrated sampler to support their workflow, maybe Reaper is not the right way to go"

Or maybe should request it , since it is a very standard integration in major daws
Old 10-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
It's a monster sampler and so not suited for simple usage.
It's a wide spread misunderstanding that simple software is simple to use and high level software is hard to use (to achieve the same goal) . In most cases the contrary is true.

And in many cases using more dedicated software to achieve a special goal is easier to handle than trying to find (or to do) than hunting for a Swiss army knife solution.

-Michael (a professional software engineer since 40 years)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #18
deeb

Quote:
It's a wide spread misunderstanding that simple software is simple to use and high level software is hard to use (to achieve the same goal) . In most cases the contrary is true.

And in many cases using more dedicated software to achieve a special goal is easier to handle than trying to find (or to do) than hunting for a Swiss army knife solution.

-Michael (a professional software engineer since 40 years)
With all respect Michael but you don't know others experiences
I call a simple sampler something that can be loaded from dozens to hundreds of tracks, without eating the resources while mantaning the independency between tracks and a clean and simple workflow.
Kontakt is definetly not suited for this. It's been designed for comercial libs in mind and other approach.
-------
I'll give an anology:
I want to have some transportation for my daily basis need:
- go supermarket which is 400 meter from my house
- go to metro station which is 1 km away
- go to beach which is 1km
-------
What i need is a bicicle and what you are suggesting me is a truck.
You are calling the bicicle a Swiss army knife and calling the truck a dedicated transportation.

Examples of simple samplers:

directwave from FL Studio:
https://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/directwave14.jpg

Sampler from Ableton
https://cdn-resources.ableton.com/80...4abb469ce3.png

Simpler from Ableton:
https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q...pler-large.jpg

sampler from bitwig:
https://cdn.shortpixel.ai/client/to_...n-1024x563.png

Last edited by deeb; 10-09-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #19
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
Examples of simple samplers:
Seems like these are samplers that are part of a DAW. I already did acknowledge that this will have advantages for a certain kind of workflow (for a certain group of users).

(You seem to be fond of weird analogies: Like there are cars that feature a loading platforms and others that feature electric motors, but only very few with both.)

-Michael