Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #41
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I don' think this is working correctly:
I don't like that I can't reproduce this. What timebase is the project and track in?

[edit] Aha, got it! Fixing, thanks.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #42
mawi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ FX: fix ID collision in quick-add FX/FX chains menu [t=196760]
It seems the bug is fixed. Thanks!
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #43
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Not quite sure what this means?
When I send something to ch 3-4 (sidechain) to another track, when soling both I still cant hear the source track.
Sorry, now I get it. Yes this works now when doing alt solo on source track!
One more thing: Can you make the behaviour also work with the tracks are going directly to HW outs? It doesn not as of now.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #44
Luster

Not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour:
I have a folder F with track A and B within. From the folder track F a send goes to track C. This send now is muted and track C moved into the folder F. When I solo now the folder I only hear track C through folder but not the other tracks.

Of course, when the send would be reactivated we have a feedback loop - I am aware of that. When I delete the send then everything is fine.

Why I do such a move? Because track C was a hardware reverb which I now recorded and want to have in that folder together with the source sounds.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #45
nofish

Could we have an option to switch between old and new solo send behaviour please ?
The old one was totally fine for me.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #46
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Could we have an option to switch between old and new solo send behaviour please ?
The old one was totally fine for me.
Have to agree. When sending reverbs returns into other reverbs the solo behaviour is counter-intuitive.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #47
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
also MPL i'm seeing that your script for "Insert 1 measure long automation item for last touched parameter" is creating multiple stacked AIs for the same parameter.
It happened to me some pre`s ago. Pre10 seems ok here.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #48
dupont

Quote:
also MPL i'm seeing that your script for "Insert 1 measure long automation item for last touched parameter" is creating multiple stacked AIs for the same parameter.
Working fine here on OSX.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #49
mawi

I don't like the new solo behavior.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #50
musicbynumbers

Just to balance things out.. I like the new so behaviour

But.. either make it optionally or maybe give us mouse modifiers for these things so we define how it should work or a few more solo options in a sub menu when right clicking the solo button?

It seems like it would be good to have all the behaviours available as they all seem to be useful in different situations.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #51
EpicSounds

Can someone make a chart to explain the old vs new solo mode?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #52
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Can someone make a chart to explain the old vs new solo mode?
Suppose you have track A which sends to track B

With both tracks soloed-in-place:

Old behavior: hear A's master send, and A-via-B.
New behavior: do not hear A's master send, hear A-via-B.

The old behavior still exists if A is soloed in the non-in-place mode. You can also just solo A if you want to hear A's master send and A-via-B.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #53
Dimson

Here is a test project, with the new behavior of the solo mode, I can not hear the control track (BD). I only hear the send of this track to the reverb bus. In this situation, I need to hear three tracks, BD, Loop and Rev BUSS. In version 5.52 all works correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Test Routing 2.rar (80.8 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Dimson; 10-08-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #54
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
I've dreamt of one possible solution that I would personally like, but I realize it's not to everyone's liking from a GUI standpoint:

Automation items having the possibility of little "chase snap" icons at their start and end edges. Sort of like the pins that pin UI windows. If you click the icon active, chasing the edge will be dealt with if you seek in the empty space in between that edge and another AI (or project edge). Seek where any corresponding edge(s) haven't got the chase snap activated, don't chase. Then an option whether to default create AIs with that snap on or off. And when not chasing, an option would say whether to go to a baseline value or leave the value where the AIs leave them. (Ideally, even that is something I'd like to have per-item control over =), maybe in the item properties for that one, but the chasing is the big one.)

This way I could have both behaviors at the same time, when ever the exception to the default preference was suitable for a particular parameter
Very nice... if we enter the realm of AIs icons/edges menues then we could add edge icons with the possibility to shape the transition per edge/item (5ms, 10ms, and shape)

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #55
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour:
I have a folder F with track A and B within. From the folder track F a send goes to track C. This send now is muted and track C moved into the folder F. When I solo now the folder I only hear track C through folder but not the other tracks.

Of course, when the send would be reactivated we have a feedback loop - I am aware of that. When I delete the send then everything is fine.

Why I do such a move? Because track C was a hardware reverb which I now recorded and want to have in that folder together with the source sounds.
Best would be to forbid nested cross sending at all (so moving track C under F not possible at all until send is deleted)

g
Old 10-09-2017, 03:52 AM   #56
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Best would be to forbid nested cross sending at all (so moving track C under F not possible at all until send is deleted)
Hmm. IMHO not good to forbid stuff - feedback isn't allowed anyway until you allow it in project settings. The deactivated send helps me to understand what I did when I dig the project months later out, you know.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #57
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
(regarding "Insert 1 measure long automation item for last touched parameter" is creating multiple stacked AIs for the same parameter.) ... It happened to me some pre`s ago. Pre10 seems ok here.
win10x64 here and it's happening on a newly created track. happening for FX param, volume, etc. behavior is different when there's a time selection -- top AI fills time selection, while your AI is 1 measure as expected. i think this is happening because it overlaps with some Cockos functionality.

so, schwa, i turn to possibly using WRITE mode to enter AIs and i encounter this possible workflow improvement.

let's say that playback is paused/stopped, and i'm using WRITE mode to create a new AI that is fitting the time selection. here's the current behavior, if i turn on WRITE mode for the track and begin moving the parameter:

edgepoints are created automatically, and the write point exists creating slopes between the AI endpoints.

my desired behavior -- EDIT perhaps by key modifier or something?? -- when playback is stopped and NO AI exists yet, entering a point via write mode would do this (Below). would be great if instead of entering/moving 1 point at cursor, it'd enter/move the AI edgepoints.

-------

lastly, i found this bug. if you use write mode to write in an AI, then delete the AI, and then try to enter it again using write mode, you can'd to it.

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #58
Edgemeal

Quote:
lastly, i found this bug. if you use write mode to write in an AI, then delete the AI, and then try to enter it again using write mode, you can'd to it.
I have these options as buttons on toolbar,

A) Options: Bypass underlying envelope outside of automation items
B) Options: Always create new automation items when writing automation and envelope is bypassed outside of automation items
C) Options: Always create new automation items when writing automation

I see same behavior when A or A & C are enabled, otherwise working when A & B enabled or A,B & C are enabled.

Win7/x64
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #59
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimson View Post
Here is a test project, with the new behavior of the solo mode, I can not hear the control track (BD). I only hear the send of this track to the reverb bus. In this situation, I need to hear three tracks, BD, Loop and Rev BUSS. In version 5.52 all works correctly.
Ahh, gotcha, because the BD is ducking the loop (which is also being soloed). OK let me think about this.

With the current code, you can alt+click solo the BD, which will cause you to hear it, but in that case you won't hear the Rev BUSS.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:26 PM   #60
kytdkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Suppose you have track A which sends to track B

With both tracks soloed-in-place:

Old behavior: hear A's master send, and A-via-B.
New behavior: do not hear A's master send, hear A-via-B.

The old behavior still exists if A is soloed in the non-in-place mode. You can also just solo A if you want to hear A's master send and A-via-B.
With the new solo behavior, if you solo a A and B, and A is also sending to tracks C and D you can also hear A-via-C and A-via-D. I find this a bit counterintuitive; if I wanted to hear A-via-B|C|D I would solo each one of those receiving tracks. Maybe I'm just not getting things right?
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #61
vinx

The old solo behaviour, which is perfect in its way (you hear whatever you're soloing), should be the default one IMHO.
The new "source" mode is really cool but it does not suit everybody because reaper is so much flexible in its routing, and you can do anything with a track (audio, midi, multichannel, sidechain...).

Last edited by vinx; 10-09-2017 at 01:15 PM.
vinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #62
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinx View Post
The old solo behaviour, which is perfect in its way (you hear whatever you're soloing), should be the default one IMHO.
The new "source" mode is really cool but it does not suit everybody because reaper is so much flexible in its routing, and you can do anything with a track (audio, midi, multichannel, sidechain...).
This sums it up for me. When you solo a track you expect to hear at least the track. Now you have to think why you don't hear the track.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #63
EcBaPr

another vote here for keeping it simple as the default always.. speed and ease of workflow helps creativity.
EcBaPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #64
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Dear devs,

might it be possible to implement a bit more variance in the visual possibilities how solo states are presented for every track? I am referring to this FR:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=191234
Just asking because you are now working in this area...
Thanks for consideration.
And this as well

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189706

G
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #65
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
With the new solo behavior, if you solo a A and B, and A is also sending to tracks C and D you can also hear A-via-C and A-via-D. I find this a bit counterintuitive; if I wanted to hear A-via-B|C|D I would solo each one of those receiving tracks. Maybe I'm just not getting things right?
This happened also before, it's not new. Go check in 5.40 or previous

The new behavior is that if you solo A and C and A is sending to C (and C is receiving from other tracks too) you onky hear A through C and not A directly and no other receives through C. Before this whas not possible at all, it's a new feature

Maybe it's triggered in a non super intuitive mode? But it's something possible now that was not possible before

I agree that more visual options on solo button would much improve the understanding of this (e.g. Think of solo button of sending track flashing when in his mode)

G