Old 12-18-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
Velimartin
Human being with feelings

Default Triggering audio tracks live

Hi!
I'm creating a live one man band using a Midi synth (Yamaha MX49) and AKAI LPD8 pad controller with Reaper. I'm doing fine as long as triggering midi events but how trigger Reaper tracks that play audio? I need to be able to arm/disarm OR change the output volume of a track with the pad controller. It only sends CC or notes...

I have choir sounds on certain tracks with a pattern sequencer. I play them with my Midi keyboard but the same keyboard also controls the MIDI sounds. I need to turn on and off the choir tracks live. So that some times the choir sounds are played , sometimes not.

VM
Velimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
Zelos

You should clarify a bit more, but I'm just going to assume it would be enough to have an on/off toggle for your tracks.

I do this with the 'Bypass' parameter. In the VST window click on the checkmark in the top right corner, then Param -> Learn. This will basically put an on/off switch on your chosen MIDI control.
Also if you want to select specific tracks for record arm you can search for 'select track' in the action browser and map that to your controller. Then make sure that 'automatic record arm when track is selected' is activated. This can be found my right-clicking on the record-arm button on a track (can also be set as a default for new tracks in the preferences). For multiple tracks you can make groups and use the 'select all tracks in group 1/2/3...' action.

There's also an action called 'bypass FX on selected tracks', but I think you need to install SWS for that.

By the way - if you just want to play with REAPER like you'd do with a normal keyboard, you can do this:
1. Activate automatic record arm
2. Set actions 'Track: Go to next track' and 'Track: Go to previous track' to buttons on your MIDI controller
(3. Set 'Bypass FX on selected track' to a button)

Then you'll have 2-3 buttons for switching through your tracks and, most importantly, sounds you played before will not cut off like with bypass FX or on a keyboard. You'll be able to play the next sound while the last one is fading away. If you want to cut off you just press the button from 3. before switching. Remember that this will leave the FX bypassed until activated again.

Last edited by Zelos; 12-18-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Zelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Velimartin

Thanks this was a good advice, I never learned to this learn thing before
The problem is that when I press the pad to turn off the vst sampler, it immediately turns it back on. I have to hit really quickly so that it only takes one push. How can I overcome this?

Is it also possible to control track volume with a CC value? That would be most handy.

VM
Old 12-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Velimartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimartin View Post
Thanks this was a good advice, I never learned to this learn thing before
The problem is that when I press the pad to turn off the vst sampler, it immediately turns it back on. I have to hit really quickly so that it only takes one push. How can I overcome this?

Is it also possible to control track volume with a CC value? That would be most handy.

VM
Adding to this: I have one of the controllers CC knobs controlling the volume of midi channel 15 on the synth. I linked the sample track's volume to this channel... But for some reason it's not working. The volume of midi channel 15 is going up and down as wished but it's not affecting the sample track in Reaper.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimartin View Post
tracks that play audio?
ReaSampölomatic5000 an trigger ("fire") definable snippets of the audio content of tracks via Midi Notes.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
Velimartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
ReaSampölomatic5000 an trigger ("fire") definable snippets of the audio content of tracks via Midi Notes.

-Michael
Thanks, Reasamplomatic looks interesting, but it doesn't satisfy my needs in this case. I have made samples using the TX16WX sampler (mapping several samples on different sections of the keyboard. So I have a track with that sampler and played with the MIDI keyboard. I need to control the volume / arm / solo-mute of that track via MIDI (so that even though I'm playinkg the keyboard, the track will stay muted). Is that possible?
Old 12-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
mschnell

I don't exactly understand what you are tying to accomplish. But I do know that you can mute/unmute tracks from a Midi keybpoard. I am doing this all the time, as I use Reaper as a versatile VST host for live playing.

In fact I use Midi program change messages to trigger SMS-LiveConfigs and same does the muting/unmuting (and a lot more).

In fact SMS LiveConfigs can call any Reaper Action and hence control any aspect. Of course there are other options as well.

(The key to using preprocessed Midi to control Reaper is "MidiToReaControlPath".)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-23-2016 at 01:51 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Velimartin

Well, I just managed to make the "learn" method work for the VST gain. I can now adjust the sampler's volume with the pad controllers CC knob.

However, it would be also handy to mute/unmute the track, so will still give it a try.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
preferred.nomenclature

"The problem is that when I press the pad to turn off the vst sampler, it immediately turns it back on. I have to hit really quickly so that it only takes one push. How can I overcome this?"

How did you assign the pad to the bypass? In my experience with the default assingment of a parameter to a single MIDI note, is that the note's velocity determines the intensity of the parameter, which I initially found rather confusing when applied to an on/off parameter such as bypass until I realized that a quiet note would bypass and a loud one would engage.
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote