Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #121
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
Could you or anyone pls also make a list of all availlable Software for e-guitar ? A list for freeware and one for chargeable software.///
There's a pretty comprehensive (I think) list of freeware amp sims here

KVR's product database is also a good place to look.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #122
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
There's a pretty comprehensive (I think) list of freeware amp sims here

KVR's product database is also a good place to look.
Thank you !
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #123
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
... and as far as gear or software for e-guitars is concerned, there are so many different and/or similar products available from so many different companies (Effect pedals or whatever), it would maybe take more than a year to test them all and you will maybe get mad or poor if you are not rich :-)
And it´s good to find YOUR gear that pleases you !

Just to name a few companies
Eventide
Marshall
Fender
Korg
Eltro Harmonix
Boss
Roland
Mooer
Cmatmods
Carl Martin
Mad Professor
Darkglass
Way Huge
Diezel
Okko
Pro Co
Suhr
Weehbo
Tech 21
Roger Linn
Rocktron
T-Rex
Moog
Zoom
Digitech
Line 6
Behringer
Vox
Zoom
TC Electronics
Ibanez
Mesa Boogie
MXR
Xotic
Fulltone
Maxon
Z.VEX
Strymon
Lovepedal
Blackstar
Wampler
Ernie Ball
Dunlop
LEHLE
Avid
Morley...

Crazy !!!
Have not even added most of the software stuff!!!

... and maybe some more information and your experience with all these or some brands with Reaper ?!
That would be more helpful !
Any audio tracks ?!
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #124
Time Waster

I'm not a 'guitarist' and when I use a guitar in my music I just plug it directly into the input device, record the raw signal (adjusting the input accordingly for maximum signal with no overs) and treat accordingly with distortion, reverb or whatever. I haven't used amp sims, but I'm curious:

I would think that a lot of the sound characteristics using hardware amps (particularly sustain) are due to feedback or self excitation, so the volume you play at and your proximity to the speakers would affect the sound. So when using an amp or cab sim, do you still need to monitor through speakers at full volume, or does the sim somehow model those effects?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #125
hamish

Valid questions. I only ever saw one plug that tried to emulate guitar/amp feedback with a previously recorded signal. I guess it wasn't so successful.

I'm thinking it could be done, but I want to try the idea first.

No again. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by hamish; 09-04-2014 at 05:03 AM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #126
hamish

Can't help myself.

Here is a version with feedback, using REAPER routing to creat a feedback loop with a Reverb plugin on it, feeding back into the ampsim. Plus a few other things.

Feedback is automated via volume envelope on the loopback track.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/z3...dfbf82qbp0.mp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I would think that a lot of the sound characteristics using hardware amps (particularly sustain) are due to feedback or self excitation, so the volume you play at and your proximity to the speakers would affect the sound. So when using an amp or cab sim, do you still need to monitor through speakers at full volume, or does the sim somehow model those effects?
Sustain is usually coming from the guitar itself, and tube compression in the amp. Feedback is certainly sustain, but a different thing physically.

Last edited by hamish; 09-04-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #127
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Sustain is usually coming from the guitar itself, and tube compression in the amp. Feedback is certainly sustain, but a different thing physically.
Yes, it's not the same as direct audio feedback. The strings and body of the guitar resonate with the sound from the speaker. I imagine that this could be modeled mathematically, so my question is whether it is actually done and how well it works?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #128
hamish

Quote:
Yes, it's not the same as direct audio feedback.
I guess you mean a feedback loop with a microphone?

Quote:
I imagine that this could be modeled mathematically, so my question is whether it is actually done and how well it works?
I think I've got some kind of approximation of it now using REAPER routing feedback. I am filtering the loop with an IR of the guitar itself, although in the example above it's an IR of my strat copy not cerendir's original guitar.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #129
The Telenator
Banned

hamish, would you be so kind as to describe in full detail the Reaper feedback setup you used with an amp sim? I'm dying to try that but have up to now always keep the feedback option turned off ... and I've avoided it. Suddenly, with your mention, I see a possible great use of the feature.

Time Waster: "I would think that a lot of the sound characteristics using hardware amps (particularly sustain) are due to feedback or self excitation, ..."

Probably not nearly as much today as you might think. Modern amps usually have plenty of ways to create overdive and sustain (cascading preamp tubes, tranny and power stage overdrive), and there are so many FX pedals and more to turn to. Back when it was little more than the player, the guitar, and an amp cranked up, true, live feedback use was much more common -- sometimes discovered at first by mistake when volume and sounds might get out of control from a player.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #130
hamish

I'll just quickly explain it in text, maybe I'll try to do a little video sometime. This example is the simplest possible setup. I should add that I tried something like this years ago and it was total crap, that's because I was missing a few things. Since then I did a lot of thinking about it.

This method is for reamping (mixing) a recorded D.I. guitar, not a live setup.

Before you start, make sure you have set the master to mute at > +3 dB.

First obviously, go to project settings 'Advanced' and enable feedback in routing.

Second - You have a track with your D.I. Guitar signal as an item, FX chain minimum is ampsim + cabinet IR + reverb (algorithmic or IR)

Third (BIG STEP) - Make an IR of your guitar, preferably the one the recoding was made on. This is easy really, just plug in and whack the neck gently with a hammer. Then trim a 1.5 second item and make a wav file.

Fourth - Make a new track, colour it Red, call it 'FEEDBACK!!!' and set the volume fader to - infinity. Add an instance of ReaVerb on this track and load up the guitar IR from step 3. Make it 0 dB wet level and -inf dry level. Make a (post fader) send to the ampsim + cabinet + reverb track. Make a receive from that track back to the 'FEEDBACK!!!' track.

Fifth - Just play with everything until you get the right sound!! What you need to do is find a suitable level for the 'FEEDBACK' fader and frequency response in the reverb, also relative mixes of guitar IR and reverb will need a lot of tweaking.

Once you have something going, automate the fader of 'FEEDBACK!!!' to model the performance aspect of turning toward and facing away / moving toward moving away from the amp.

TO DO - better guitar IR - add resonant EQ emphasis band and automate frequency to track notes (i.e. fretted note)
Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #131
NecroPolo

Except for Peavey Revalver I don't really like software emulations to be honest. They developed to a level to sound okay by now, they just don't feel right in my hands when I play through them and it's all about the subjective feel when you play, is it?

Whenever possible I stick to the old amp-cab-mic setup but quite often I just go direct as quite often I need an instant solution or I just want to record mix-ready tracks during the night. I just use these:

AMT P1 emulates a Peavey 5150/6505, M1 goes for Marshall JCM800. Both preamps include a completely usable Cab Sim out that sounds like one fixed cab and one fixed amp with one fixed mic. There is no variation but they work in the mix. Sometimes I recorded carefully mic'd real rigs with more problematic sweet spots, to be honest.

When I want something else than the fixed cab sim I use this one:

It's like having an abstact cabinet sim with one mic that you can move around, change speaker magnets, up and downsize cabs whatsoever, and do it instantly. If you know what you do and have some "mic-my-cab-know-how" and a little guitar cab knowledge it is quite capable of producing great results with any preamp / dirt box.

These boxes are all analogue and solve the case instantly, without burning your fortune on an otherwise great Kemper Profiler or AxeFX-II that are the kings of the hill of recording mix-ready guitars directly these days.

I have used this micro rig from rockabilly to death metal and everything in-between on all my post-2011 stuff. I used them a lot on songs that I have produced for other acts, too. I could post dosens and dosens of released tracks where they were used this way or another but I won't.

https://soundcloud.com/strayboom/rage-of-the-emperor

https://soundcloud.com/andreaswallst...eloungelizards

Last edited by NecroPolo; 09-05-2014 at 08:23 PM.
NecroPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #132
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I'll just quickly explain it in text, maybe I'll try to do a little video sometime. This example is the simplest possible setup. I should add that I tried something like this years ago and it was total crap, that's because I was missing a few things. Since then I did a lot of thinking about it.

This method is for reamping (mixing) a recorded D.I. guitar, not a live setup.

Before you start, make sure you have set the master to mute at > +3 dB.

First obviously, go to project settings 'Advanced' and enable feedback in routing.

Second - You have a track with your D.I. Guitar signal as an item, FX chain minimum is ampsim + cabinet IR + reverb (algorithmic or IR)

Third (BIG STEP) - Make an IR of your guitar, preferably the one the recoding was made on. This is easy really, just plug in and whack the neck gently with a hammer. Then trim a 1.5 second item and make a wav file.

Fourth - Make a new track, colour it Red, call it 'FEEDBACK!!!' and set the volume fader to - infinity. Add an instance of ReaVerb on this track and load up the guitar IR from step 3. Make it 0 dB wet level and -inf dry level. Make a (post fader) send to the ampsim + cabinet + reverb track. Make a receive from that track back to the 'FEEDBACK!!!' track.

Fifth - Just play with everything until you get the right sound!! What you need to do is find a suitable level for the 'FEEDBACK' fader and frequency response in the reverb, also relative mixes of guitar IR and reverb will need a lot of tweaking.

Once you have something going, automate the fader of 'FEEDBACK!!!' to model the performance aspect of turning toward and facing away / moving toward moving away from the amp.

TO DO - better guitar IR - add resonant EQ emphasis band and automate frequency to track notes (i.e. fretted note)
I'm not sure I'm ready to take a hammer to my guitar, but that sounds like an interesting setup.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #133
cerendir

Sorry for falling off the face of the earth, but I haven't had time for any further amp sim exploration lately. So, another question:

Why is it that boosting the signal on its way into an amp sim gives me more gain (and less noise) at lower levels? And yeah, I know this is how real amps behave and all that, but why is this a desirable behavior in software?

If a simulated pedal can provide a nice clean boost, shouldn't a simulated amp be capable of doing the same thing all on its own, before hitting the preamp stage? And dispose of the need for a clean boost "pedal" in the first place.

I just don't get it. Are developers just blindly mimicing every tiny detail of the hardware here, warts and all, without stopping to think whether there might be a better way to do it. What's next, having to use a 9v AC adapter VST to power my virtual pedals?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #134
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
I just don't get it. Are developers just blindly mimicing every tiny detail of the hardware here, warts and all, without stopping to think whether there might be a better way to do it. What's next, having to use a 9v AC adapter VST to power my virtual pedals?
Isn't that the whole point? Why do you need an amp sim anyway? It's just an effect. I would have thought that the challenge of writing an amp sim *was* to emulate every little detail and imperfection. If you don't want the guitar to sound as shitty as it does going through a hardware amp, don't use an amp sim :-)