Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-11-2019, 02:23 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Linear env point on a square-only envelope

A linear envelope point is showing up on a send mute envelope, which should never happen. Reaper interprets a mute envelope past a certain value as UNMUTED.

And that has fucked up parts of my film mix.

Envelope points are created in two ways here. Editing and automation recording(&writing). The latter did not create this judging from the tests I've done with all automation modes and writing functions.

That leaves editing to be the likely culprit.

Settings in Preferences / Automation are set like this

Add points before and after edit position. That's likely the culprit.
Somewhere the function is not respecting the default envelope point shape when creating points before and after the edit position.

By the way, the "Reduce envelope point data..." is not used for a reason. It can mess up envelopes dramatically, creating long linear rises and falls for parameters that have no business doing that, but whose value just didn't change all that much. That messes with a all kinds of plugins as the "space type" in a reverb plugin gets gradual changes. But that's a sidenote to this problem here.

I found almost a dozen instances of this linear(I am assuming it's linear. The context menu shows NO CHECKMARK on the shape submenu!!!) point problem in my send mute envelopes. To demonstrate it, here's a small excert from yesterdays session, without the media. It displays a send mute envelope on the media lane.

https://stash.reaper.fm/37105/SendMu...uare_point.RPP

A shot of that envelope at the markered position:

If you move that item on the right, more linear points will be created, but where did that first one come from ? Did I say one ? I meant every other damn point is LINEAR instead of square.

It looks like just splitting and moving items around creates all kinds of funny points. A lot of redundant stuff too.

Last edited by airon; 09-11-2019 at 08:12 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
airon

One more note about troubleshooting such problems.
The solution came from an SWS function. If I want to see the same envelope on every track, it can't be done by Reaper by itself, but in the SWS extension there are actions to show all active send mute envelopes on selected tracks, for example. So that's how I found all these things.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Any idea how it got into this state?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
airon

When I start a session, I‘ll arrange the material first, naming tracks, condensing and colouring stuff.

Then I set those tracks to WRITE, hit Play briefly and stop making everything latched. I use the action to write the current value to the entire envelopes of all currently Writing(latched) parameters, to clear away any junk. The a write-to-timeselection on actively writing(i.e.latched) parameters across the entire session. Clean slate.

After the I’ll start editing and mixing.

I use three methods to mute or unmute sends. OSC via an action(no direct osc support for send mutes atm), midi note triggering the same action and Shift+click on the MCP send.

Automation modes used are Latch Preview, Latch and Write.

The envelopes are never visible.

I can run some more simple tests, seeing what the auto modes and writing actions produce each step of the way. I just had little time before today.

The action I use toggles the send mute X on selected tracks.

That’s about all I can do until I run some more tests. I do have some time now.