Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #361
nkovac
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Please retry with the new version I just released.

Yes, with clip I mean the items on a track. The log you sent me shows that there are several items for which the name could not be retrieved. I also tried to add some Croatian characters but could not reproduce the problem. Can you please post an example project?
Hi Moss,
I have completely removed old version, installed version 5.5, Started afresh (empty project) added one track.
removed my Novation Launchpad Pro from the list of Controllers, added it again. nothing changes on the controller itself. went to ->configuration -> re-set MIDI in and out ports to Launchpad Pro, pressed "Rescan Midi Devices" and got this log:
Code:
Novation Launchpad Pro: Starting...
Novation Launchpad Pro: Running.
Closing controller...
Exited.
Release resources...
Closing midi connections...
Novation Launchpad Pro: Starting...
Could not execute scheduled task.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Receiver is not open
	at java.desktop/com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice$AbstractReceiver.send(Unknown Source)
	at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiConnection.send(MidiConnection.java:264)
	at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiConnection.sendCC(MidiConnection.java:164)
	at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiOutputImpl.sendCC(MidiOutputImpl.java:35)
	at de.mossgrabers.controller.launchpad.controller.LaunchpadControlSurface.setButtonEx(LaunchpadControlSurface.java:305)
	at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.setButton(AbstractControlSurface.java:539)
	at de.mossgrabers.controller.launchpad.command.trigger.LaunchpadCursorCommand.delayedUpdateArrows(LaunchpadCursorCommand.java:393)
	at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.lambda$scheduleTask$2(AbstractControlSurface.java:749)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Novation Launchpad Pro: Running.
	at java.desktop/com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice$AbstractReceiver.send(Unknown Source)
	at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiConnection.send(MidiConnection.java:264)
	at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiConnection.sendCC(MidiConnection.java:164)
	at de.mossgrabers.reaper.framework.midi.MidiOutputImpl.sendCC(MidiOutputImpl.java:35)
	at de.mossgrabers.controller.launchpad.controller.LaunchpadControlSurface.setButtonEx(LaunchpadControlSurface.java:305)
	at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.setButton(AbstractControlSurface.java:539)
	at de.mossgrabers.controller.launchpad.command.trigger.LaunchpadCursorCommand.delayedUpdateArrows(LaunchpadCursorCommand.java:393)
	at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.lambda$scheduleTask$2(AbstractControlSurface.java:749)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

It seems to me there is something other wrong apart from possible "weird" letters in clip names. (I can still send you previous project, you asked)
Should I ensure the device has a certain firmware version or something like that? Is it sensitive to the type of USB port being used? I am using the same USB port I use for Ableton/launchpad combo.
And thank you once again.

EDIT: I connected my Akai APC40 (mk1) to the same USB port, did everything the same as with Launchpad and it works. Device lights up with your custom look, and as far I can gather everything works as it is supposed.

Last edited by nkovac; 02-24-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: new information available
nkovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #362
revp

Thanks so much for this work around.

I love Native Instruments sounds and the concept of Komplete Kontrol, just haven't been able to get it to work in reaper. I recently purchased one of the newer controllers, the Komplete A25. Followed your instructions but the A25 transport controls are not working.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong or maybe the A-series is different in full MKS protocol from the S-Series.

I'm using latest version of Reaper on MacOS 10.13.6, with latest version of Komplete Kontrol.

Last edited by revp; 02-24-2019 at 09:45 PM.
revp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #363
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by revp View Post
Thanks so much for this work around.

I love Native Instruments sounds and the concept of Komplete Kontrol, just haven't been able to get it to work in reaper. I recently purchased one of the newer controllers, the Komplete A25. Followed your instructions but the A25 transport controls are not working.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong or maybe the A-series is different in full MKS protocol from the S-Series.

I'm using latest version of Reaper on MacOS 10.13.6, with latest version of Komplete Kontrol.
The A-series is not (yet) supported.
moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #364
moss

5.6 is online!
  • MCU
    • Fixed: Removed unescessary clip indication.
  • Midi Monitor
    • Fixed: System Exclusive formatting was wrong.
    • Fixed: Check for MMC was wrong.
  • OSC
    • Fixed: Track selection did not work when using only "select" and/or did not set 1 as parameter.
    • Fixed: Decimal changes of tempo did not work.
    • Fixed: /device/layer/{1-8}/send/{1-8}/volume and /device/layer/{1-8}/send/{1-8}/volume/touched
Old 02-25-2019, 12:33 AM   #365
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkovac View Post
Hi Moss,
I have completely removed old version, installed version 5.5, Started afresh (empty project) added one track.
removed my Novation Launchpad Pro from the list of Controllers, added it again. nothing changes on the controller itself. went to ->configuration -> re-set MIDI in and out ports to Launchpad Pro, pressed "Rescan Midi Devices" and got this log:
Hmm, it seems that the midi output port cannot be opened. Are you sure it is disabled in Reaper?`Have you tried a different USB cable?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:19 AM   #366
Skijumptoes

Moss, a quick question for you. I'm currently on Mac and i've been looking at upgrading but the cost of the new Mac's (and their tiny storage) has made me purchase a secondhand win 10 PC so i can test if i enjoy using a Windows machine for audio.

I've always used the great software you've made available as it's the only 'ready to go' option for us Mac MCU users, and the Push support is exceptional.

The question is, i now will have access to Klinke's Csurf for my MCU (Windows only), Do you have any idea how Klinke and DrivenByMoss compare in terms of machine resources? Or is it so tiny not a concern?
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 AM   #367
tomo34

Hi,

I'm using Klinke with my MCU and I am very satisfied, but as we know is only solution for Win users.

I would like to ask about DrivenByMoss - how this working with MCU? Is some video tutorial showing MCU with DrivenByMoss ?
tomo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #368
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo34 View Post
Hi,

I'm using Klinke with my MCU and I am very satisfied, but as we know is only solution for Win users.

I would like to ask about DrivenByMoss - how this working with MCU? Is some video tutorial showing MCU with DrivenByMoss ?
You can watch the following videos on my Youtube channel. They are for Bitwig but the feature set is identical to the Reaper version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-OYQHaFRtQ&index=29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-_GZw-0I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_tT92HKGRg
Old 02-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #369
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
Moss, a quick question for you. I'm currently on Mac and i've been looking at upgrading but the cost of the new Mac's (and their tiny storage) has made me purchase a secondhand win 10 PC so i can test if i enjoy using a Windows machine for audio.

I've always used the great software you've made available as it's the only 'ready to go' option for us Mac MCU users, and the Push support is exceptional.

The question is, i now will have access to Klinke's Csurf for my MCU (Windows only), Do you have any idea how Klinke and DrivenByMoss compare in terms of machine resources? Or is it so tiny not a concern?
DrivenByMoss has more configuration options and special support for the icon QCon Pro X. I never compared the performance to Klinke.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #370
tomo34

Quote:
You can watch the following videos on my Youtube channel. They are for Bitwig but the feature set is identical to the Reaper version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-OYQHaFRtQ&index=29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37-_GZw-0I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_tT92HKGRg
Thanks. Looks promising.

Can you add option for new release to DrivenByMoss to transport buttons section:
- when you press "play" button while playing song, this will equals pause,
- when you hit "stop" button twice (quick) this will snap locator to nearest bar,
- solo button (first from left above record) reset all soloed tracks

Those functions are in Klinke and are very handly.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #371
moss

Quote:
- when you press "play" button while playing song, this will equals pause,
Have you tried to change the setting "Transport -> Behaviour on Stop" to "Pause"?

Quote:
- when you hit "stop" button twice (quick) this will snap locator to nearest bar,
Hmm, not sure about that, since if you currently press stop twice you return to the start of the project (which I use all the time).

Quote:
- solo button (first from left above record) reset all soloed tracks
Will think about that.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #372
tomo34

Quote:
Hmm, not sure about that, since if you currently press stop twice you return to the start of the project (which I use all the time).
Klinke transport functions are handy in some scenarios:
- when you listen mix or track and suddenly you find something to correct. Then press play button to pause and stop button twice to align locator to nearest bar (X.XX.000 on display)
- when you using jog wheel (precise) and need quick set locator to nearest bar. You don't need to grab mouse everytime and put locator at begining of bar.

In Klinke, which also is handy, when you want to go at begining (or end) song, you press rewind button with control button. Pressing rewind (or fast fwd) with no "control" button, adjust locator relative to previous position, for example - when you hit pause on 1.3.674 and press fast fwd, then locator goes 1 bar to 2.3.674 etc. And then when you need to align to bar, just press stop twice and locator is on 2.1.000.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #373
revp

Quote:
The A-series is not (yet) supported.
Is there anything I can do to help you get support going for the A-series or the coming M-series?
Old 02-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #374
moss

Quote:
Is there anything I can do to help you get support going for the A-series or the coming M-series?
No, NI needs to add the support to their DAWHost service. For the time being you can configure the Generic Flexi with the midi mode.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #375
jackmilas

Suggesting Behringer X Touch One support, where clicking on a track in Reaper would focus it on the physical fader.
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #376
revp

Quote:
No, NI needs to add the support to their DAWHost service. For the time being you can configure the Generic Flexi with the midi mode.
And will the GENERIC FLEXI configuration give me ability to use Komplete's transport control buttons in Reaper? I ask because the browser, plugin features of Komplete are working fine in reaper without the DrivenByMoss install.

Thanks for your help. Let me know
Old 03-01-2019, 12:44 AM   #377
moss

Quote:
And will the GENERIC FLEXI configuration give me ability to use Komplete's transport control buttons in Reaper? I ask because the browser, plugin features of Komplete are working fine in reaper without the DrivenByMoss install.

Thanks for your help. Let me know
I have not tested it but it should work fine.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #378
Gass n Klang

super nice to see the QCon support. Too bad, I got the QCon ProG2 and EXG2. Any chance to see support for these 2 babies?
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:01 AM   #379
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
super nice to see the QCon support. Too bad, I got the QCon ProG2 and EXG2. Any chance to see support for these 2 babies?
Should already work fine too.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #380
moss

DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper 5.7 is online!
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

Launchpad
  • New: The Bootloader and Firmware version is now logged to the console
  • New: Pro: The user button acts now like the Shift button

MCU
  • New: Option + one of the Mute buttons: Deactivate all mutes
  • New: Option + one of the Solo buttons: Deactivate all solos

Push 1/2
  • New: Select + Mute: Deactivate all mutes
  • New: Select + Solo: Deactivate all solos
Old 03-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #381
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Very Cool the unmute all !! Thank you moss
Old 03-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #382
revp

Quote:
I have not tested it but it should work fine.
Maybe I don't know what I'm doing but the transport controls on my A25 don't light up and do nothing even after I try a few configurations in generiflex.

Any help is appreciated. Not sure how toe get the buttons selectable. That must be locked in NI's NKS settings. Reaper doesn't see them. Only if I open ableton or garageband.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #383
moss

5.8 is online, which fixes a problem with switching note and sequencer views.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #384
moss

Version 5.9 is online!
  • Beatstep
    • Fixed: Track and Device mode selection did not work.
  • Maschine Mikro Mk3
    • Fixed: Pan and Send modes could not be switched.
  • MCU
    • Display mode names for Track, Volume and Sends. Send modes also display the name of the send.
    • You can flip backwards through the send modes with Shift+Send.

Enjoy!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #385
Jorgen

Quote:
Version 5.9 is online!
I tried the previous version just now and I get a runtime error/microsoft visual-something when I choose your driver in the osc/preferences and then Reaper closes. Updated Microsoft visual to 2017-something but no luck.

Windows 10 64, latest Reaper version. Any ideas?
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #386
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

hello moss !
Do you have a video or pdf that explains how to use the push in step sequencer, like with Live? I tried intuitively but I didn't find it.
A second question:
In my research I came across clip creation and I admit that I absolutely did not understand the logic.... How can we talk about a "clip" in Reaper?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #387
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I tried the previous version just now and I get a runtime error/microsoft visual-something when I choose your driver in the osc/preferences and then Reaper closes. Updated Microsoft visual to 2017-something but no luck.

Windows 10 64, latest Reaper version. Any ideas?
I guess with "runtime error/microsoft visual-something" you mean that you are missing a .NET runtime. Download the version named in the error from the Microsoft site and install.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:53 AM   #388
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
hello moss !
Do you have a video or pdf that explains how to use the push in step sequencer, like with Live? I tried intuitively but I didn't find it.
A second question:
In my research I came across clip creation and I admit that I absolutely did not understand the logic.... How can we talk about a "clip" in Reaper?
You can watch the Bitwig videos on my Youtube channel, it is nearly identical to the Reaper implementation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as8_...84hD9HngDDKF3s
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #389
Jorgen

Quote:
I guess with "runtime error/microsoft visual-something" you mean that you are missing a .NET runtime. Download the version named in the error from the Microsoft site and install.
Thanks. However, the error message doesn't specify what version. Trying to install the latest framework is no go since the installer says I already have it installed. Microsoft says you can't do a reinstall (or uninstall a previous install.) Tried your latest update but no change.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:07 AM   #390
Skijumptoes

You have to make sure you're only installing the runtimes, have you got a screenshot of error?
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:41 AM   #391
zookthespook

big fan of your work moss !
thank you for this
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #392
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
You have to make sure you're only installing the runtimes, have you got a screenshot of error?
Yes, have a look.https://imgur.com/QaOu4df
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #393
moss

Quote:
Yes, have a look.https://imgur.com/QaOu4df
Searching for this error does not bring up a quick solution. It seems that something got mixed up on your system. You can try to uninstall (all) Visual C++ releases and reinstall them but that is a bit of work.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #394
Jorgen

Quote:
Searching for this error does not bring up a quick solution. It seems that something got mixed up on your system. You can try to uninstall (all) Visual C++ releases and reinstall them but that is a bit of work.
I could try. How exactly would I go about this?

I watched one of Kenny's videos how to set up your midi controller with Reaper's start, stop and record functions and the keyboard control was already listed as a shortcut in the actions list -- must have something to do with your program, since I didn't do it manually. Another mystery. (And trying to do it manually, like in Kenny's video, didn't work at all.)

And in case I didn't specify it, my keyboard is the Komplete Kontrol A49.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #395
moss

Quote:
I could try. How exactly would I go about this?
1) Open the list of installed programs ("Apps & Features")

2) Filter the list by "visual c++ redistributable" ("C++" should be enough)

3) Depending on what software you have on your system you should see versions from 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2017.

Out of curiosity I uninstalled all of them. To my big surprise I noticed that NONE of the programs I have installed requires the dynamic runtime anymore (this freed up quite some disc space). So, you could try the same and see if that helps.
If you have one left on your PC it should tell you or even reinstall it automatically.

Quote:
I watched one of Kenny's videos how to set up your midi controller with Reaper's start, stop and record functions and the keyboard control was already listed as a shortcut in the actions list -- must have something to do with your program, since I didn't do it manually. Another mystery. (And trying to do it manually, like in Kenny's video, didn't work at all.)

And in case I didn't specify it, my keyboard is the Komplete Kontrol A49.
Not, quite sure what you are talking about or who Kenny is :-) The A49 is not directly supported (yet) but you can use the Generic Flexi, I guess that's what is described in the video you mentioned.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #396
crcopp

First off thanks so much for all the hard work you have put in on this implementation! I got worn out just reading this thread

I have recently acquired an older Mackie Control Universal and XT sidecar. Does anyone know if I could get the full DrivenByMoss MCU functionality in Reaper on the 2.1.2 microcontroller firmware platform or do I need to upgrade to 3.0.x (MCU Pro microcontroller)?

Thanks again!
crcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 AM   #397
Jorgen

Quote:
Out of curiosity I uninstalled all of them. To my big surprise I noticed that NONE of the programs I have installed requires the dynamic runtime anymore (this freed up quite some disc space). So, you could try the same and see if that helps.
I gave it a try. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Didn't seem to make anything worse, either.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 AM   #398
tomo34

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcopp View Post
First off thanks so much for all the hard work you have put in on this implementation! I got worn out just reading this thread

I have recently acquired an older Mackie Control Universal and XT sidecar. Does anyone know if I could get the full DrivenByMoss MCU functionality in Reaper on the 2.1.2 microcontroller firmware platform or do I need to upgrade to 3.0.x (MCU Pro microcontroller)?

Thanks again!
Older MCU can handle 3.0 firmware, but probably is better to have 2.1.2 which was the last official.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #399
moss

Quote:
I gave it a try. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Didn't seem to make anything worse, either.
I am running out of ideas here. I would suggest the following strategy:

Try with a naked portable install:
-> If that fails there is a somehow very basic problem on your system
-> If it works:
* either your Reaper installation is broken,
* or there is a conflict with one of your plugins, if that is the case try to put all plugins in a single process (there is a setting for that in the plugins section)

Fingers crossed!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #400
Jorgen

Quote:
Try with a naked portable install
I did a portable install and Reaper did its scan for plugins - was that a mistake? There seems to be a way to install with a "clean" .ini file. Is that what you mean by "naked"?

Anyways, it didn't work. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I hope NI sorts it out eventually.