Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
eox08
Human being with feelings

Default Presonus firestudio mobile question

Hey guys, I recently purchased the Presonus Firestudio Mobile card which is my first actual audio interface i have ever purchased so i am a newbie to this. But my question is, since i have installed my card and upgraded the firmware version and everything, i have noticed in reaper that under eaudio device tab where you can choose your audio card settings. There isn't a "presonus" audio drive to select? just waveout, asio, and direct sound? however there the presonus option is a selection in the output section. But what get's me is i purchased this card to get a very low latency and with direct sound or any other selection that i have there is a noticeable latency. Can anyone please help me out?
eox08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
sumpm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eox08 View Post
Hey guys, I recently purchased the Presonus Firestudio Mobile card which is my first actual audio interface i have ever purchased so i am a newbie to this. But my question is, since i have installed my card and upgraded the firmware version and everything, i have noticed in reaper that under eaudio device tab where you can choose your audio card settings. There isn't a "presonus" audio drive to select? just waveout, asio, and direct sound? however there the presonus option is a selection in the output section. But what get's me is i purchased this card to get a very low latency and with direct sound or any other selection that i have there is a noticeable latency. Can anyone please help me out?
You want to choose "asio" as your device; this is the low latency option you were looking for. Try that and we will go from there.
sumpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
eox08

Mmh so the sound card doesn't give you a different driver to use? Cause asio is great and all but I didn't like how it could get glitchy when it was being over worked. I figured the sound card would fix that and also there would be audio driver for the firestudio mobile
Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
TimOBrien

Sequencers like Reaper talk to the asio driver and the asio driver talks to the hardware.

It doesn't have to specifically say the soundcard's name.

Just use the ASIO driver.

If it's glitchy you may have the latency set TOO low. You usually want to get it to 10-25ms where you can't hear any latency anymore and NO LOWER (which just needlessly stresses the cpu) On every soundcard you will have to experiment to see what the best settings for it to work.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
eox08

ahhh..okay thank you guys for clarifying that up for me. Like I said I am new to a sound card!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Lawrence

You want to use the PreSonus universal driver... and yeah, it's ASIO (or Core Audio on Mac), but make sure you have the latest version 3.5.2.

Scroll down this page, it's under "Firestudio" devices. All of those devices in that class use the same universal driver. http://www.presonus.com/technical-su...vers-software/

As to latency, it has direct hardware monitoring so unless you're recording through plugs then you shouldn't have any latency at all.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote