Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.13+dev0729 - July 29 2020

v6.13+dev0729 - July 29 2020
  • + Area selection: add option to move envelope areas based on envelope type or envelope lane
  • + Grid/snap dialog: apply grid snap length setting instantly rather than window close
  • + MIDI editor: fix update of CC lane labels when changing lane via action [t=240427]
  • + Theme: add cursor_seltrack.png image
  • # Area selection: allow moving areas across tracks if env-pts-move-with-items enabled and not all source envelopes exist on the destination track
  • # Media explorer: tweak minimum sizes when in horizontal vs vertical modes [p=2324146]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
planetnine

Quote:
. . .
  • + Area selection: add option to move envelope areas based on envelope type or envelope lane
    . . .
  • # Area selection: allow moving areas across tracks if env-pts-move-with-items enabled and not all source envelopes exist on the destination track
    . . .

Heyup, this looks interesting...

>
Old 07-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v6.13+dev0729 - July 29 2020
[list][*]+ Area selection: add option to move envelope areas based on envelope type or envelope lane
Huge thanks for this!

Even though where can i find the option?

Noticed some weird behaviour when move envelope points with items is on

EDIT: maybe this happens because there are no similar hidden envelopes to move/paste ?

Also i believe when the action move points with items is off and we have selected both items and envelopes, we should be able to move both of them because also this looks weird when happens as shown in the gif. If we can do this and have the action move points with items for copying hidden envelopes, would be the best

Last edited by Vagelis; 07-29-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Even though where can i find the option?
There is an action, or you can right-click the toolbar button.

Quote:
Noticed some weird behaviour when move envelope points with items is on
I think what's happening there is: because move-env-pts-with-items is enabled, all envelopes get moved regardless of visibility, and they get moved to similar envelope types. So the not-visible track 2 pre-fx volume env gets moved to the visible pre-fx volume env, etc, and the visible track 2 ReaDelay feedback env gets discarded because there is no such envelope on track 1.

Quote:
Also i believe when the action move points with items is off and we have selected both items and envelopes, we should be able to move both of them because also this looks weird when happens as shown in the gif.
I think you have the new option set to move envelope areas based on type, so that's essentially the same behavior as in your first gif, except that the not-visible envelope areas on track 2 aren't getting moved because move-env-pts-with-items is disabled. If you change the new option to move envelope areas based on lane, you may get the behavior you expect.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think you have the new option set to move envelope areas based on type, so that's essentially the same behavior as in your first gif, except that the not-visible envelope areas on track 2 aren't getting moved because move-env-pts-with-items is disabled. If you change the new option to move envelope areas based on lane, you may get the behavior you expect.
YES! I changed the type and now it works as expected Huge thanks schwa

Quote:
I think what's happening there is: because move-env-pts-with-items is enabled, all envelopes get moved regardless of visibility, and they get moved to similar envelope types. So the not-visible track 2 pre-fx volume env gets moved to the visible pre-fx volume env, etc, and the visible track 2 ReaDelay feedback env gets discarded because there is no such envelope on track 1.
So in this case when some of the hidden vst envelopes don't exist to the destination track, maybe it shouldn't create anything?
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
FeedTheCat

Quote:
[*]+ Theme: add cursor_seltrack.png image
Played around with it for a bit. I like that it's customizable. If it ends up being this "ball" attached to the cursor, I think it would look best if it was in the center of the track, no matter the track height.

FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
bFooz

Quote:
+ Area selection: add option to move envelope areas based on envelope type or envelope lane
I think the option could be renamed to contain one of words "lock", "force" or "allow".

Like "Force area selection of envelopes to their type" or something like that.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
bFooz

Quote:
+ Grid/snap dialog: apply grid snap length setting instantly rather than window close
This whole window needs serious reorganization. I did write about this previously at some point, there are also threads from others.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
bFooz

Quote:
+ Theme: add cursor_seltrack.png image
For me this circle is no good. Worse than the previous design. I don't think a circle like this would indicate "target plane to the right" and its position seems arbitrary.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
bFooz

MX - the pitch options menu should be displayed over the rate knob and tempo match box as well. It is related to all of them.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Played around with it for a bit. I like that it's customizable. If it ends up being this "ball" attached to the cursor, I think it would look best if it was in the center of the track, no matter the track height.
And it is shown only for first track. Blinking/flickering part of cursor would be better or at least other color without thickering.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
daniellumertz

If I

ON: Move enelope area selection based on envelope type

Then selecting an item and envelopes will move only matching envelope types
But
Selecting only envelopes will move "to visible envelopes" don't caring about the type.

Demonstrating

Don't know if it is a bug or this is how it is supposed to be and I didn't understood ...
Nice update thanks!!
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
Selecting only envelopes will move "to visible envelopes" don't caring about the type.
Yes, if there are only envelope lane areas selected then you can always move them anywhere regardless of the preferences.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #14
daniellumertz

Quote:
Yes, if there are only envelope lane areas selected then you can always move them anywhere regardless of the preferences.
thanks for the answer !
Old 07-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #15
Vagelis

Ok the new mode is huge, few minutes with it and it offers so much freedom. I love that if i select e.g from a source track an item with 3 envelopes and i move them to the destination track which contains 2 envelopes, it moves the first 2 envelopes of the source track which is great

If i do the same but instead of selecting all 3 envelopes of source track, to select only 1st and 3rd, then when i move them to the destination track which has 2 envelopes, it moves only the 1st one which of course make sense because it counts the number of selected lanes (1,3). There's no problem with area about that, just throw it as an idea that if we were able to rearrange the envelope lanes, then we could move the 3rd lane to the 2nd lane, so after we could move both of them to the destination track.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #16
SNJUK2

I like new cursor
SNJUK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #17
Edgemeal

When I do a simple copy and paste AI with keyboard its gets pasted at beginning of track, tho cursor keeps moving to the right as expected.

Win10 X64
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJUK2 View Post
I like new cursor
Oh,how can I enable this ?
Old 07-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #19
mccrabney

confirmed Edgemeal's report, pasting AI results in them being pasted at beginning of track and not at edit cursor.

----

i finally figured out what makes these additional AI get created: it happens when an AS block is dragged down into the empty space below all other tracks. a new track gets created, and then when the AS is dragged back up to its parent track, AI are created somewhere in the track - sometimes in the AS, sometimes outside of it.

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #20
n997

Quote:
Oh,how can I enable this ?
As far as I've tried, by increasing the width of cursor_seltrack.png (at least 2x your display resolution width), keeping magenta markers at edges of the file, and then filling it with transparent color for highlighting.

Quote:
+ Area selection: add option to move envelope areas based on envelope type or envelope lane
Thanks for making this optional! At the risk of overhyping the feature - comparing to some other DAWs I use, having this choice in REAPER's Area selection is rather amazing.

Quote:
Thanks for this as well!
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #21
mccrabney

Quote:
for cursor jewels, this is great.

however, when using it in the way shown by SNJUK2 and described by n997, the tint applies not only to the track background, but on top of all items and AI:

i understand why this is the case (cursor image must appear overtop of items) but when being used as a screen-wide last-touched-track indicator, i'm finding the tinting of items and AI to be distracting.

i really, really like a screen-wide last-touched-track indicator, but i think it should be its own .png in the theme.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #22
SNJUK2

And now need option -track select cursor Z order :under items
SNJUK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #23
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
As far as I've tried, by increasing the width of cursor_seltrack.png (at least 2x your display resolution width), keeping magenta markers at edges of the file, and then filling it with transparent color for highlighting.
Done, thanks!
Old 07-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #24
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i really, really like a screen-wide last-touched-track indicator, but i think it should be its own .png in the theme.
+1, separate selected track highlighting functionality would be the best solution, and ideally user could choose whether that highlight overlays only track background or also the items.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #25
nofish

Quote:
Shouldn't it. for more accuracy, be called cursor_lasttouchedtrack.png or something, because e.g. here last touched ≠ selected:

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #26
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
+1, separate selected track highlighting functionality would be the best solution, and ideally user could choose whether that highlight overlays only track background or also the items.
Totally agreed and still hoping for it.

Great update devs.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #27
musicbynumbers

Default Region manager - markers and regions can no longer be seen in the correct time order

This might be from when take markers where added but the way the region/Marker manager now works is a bit broken.

I swear you use to be able to sort by "start" and for markers and regions to be able to be mixed in with each other so that markers inside of regions would show up underneath that region (in timeline order).

No markers are always at the top no matter what which isn't great to be honest.

Is there an option I'm missing for changing this because if not, it would be great if this could be put back in Thanks!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #28
daniellumertz

I also think that track highlight could be a great add!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #29
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJUK2 View Post
I like new cursor

Very cool! Thanks for idea!

But, i found the bug here: when cursor is out of arrange view, cursor_seltrack.png is disappear.

cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #30
tredwel

With all the great progress going on with area selection.. I want to add something under this pre that bothers me aesthetically, probably mentioned numerous times..but, I have a new one... Can that 1995 gradient orange to yellow folder in media explorer be changed for hi dpi?? Since windows explorer visually was better I wanted to mention this. You still have not topped windows explorer yet!

Also, please, what is up with that route icon in ME. It is distracting
tredwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #31
ferropop

The extra love with recent additions is immensely appreciated devs. These little things (tinting, MX additions) and the more profound (area selection) offer some enormous productivity benefits, and allow Reaper to shine at all the things it does better than every other DAW while keeping in line with modern-day expectations. Thank you very much for your efforts, always.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #32
cairnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
The extra love with recent additions is immensely appreciated devs. These little things (tinting, MX additions) and the more profound (area selection) offer some enormous productivity benefits, and allow Reaper to shine at all the things it does better than every other DAW while keeping in line with modern-day expectations. Thank you very much for your efforts, always.
+1, thanks devs
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #33
cairnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
For me this circle is no good. Worse than the previous design. I don't think a circle like this would indicate "target plane to the right" and its position seems arbitrary.
devs (or others), is there a way to use the thick line from the previous build still, rather than the new point / dot visual?
cairnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:18 AM   #34
musicbynumbers

Indeed. Thanks devs for area selection!

The time stretch function of it just saved me a massive amount of time already!

Please consider a modifier option for timestretch though that only adjusts item starts and not lengths.
Great for drum hits and sound design!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:59 AM   #35
bFooz

Quote:
Opacity (gradient) does not seem to be properly calculated.

Photoshop:

Reaper:
Old 07-30-2020, 02:11 AM   #36
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Shouldn't it. for more accuracy, be called cursor_lasttouchedtrack.png
The last touched track is not updated when SHIFT-clicking the tracks. (It is not just a visual thing but program-wise)

Old 07-30-2020, 02:42 AM   #37
Vagelis

I think it would be great if the image could follow guideline when we move an item to another track.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:49 AM   #38
deeb

Maybe would be nice to have other daws licecaps, which might be good references for:
- selected track stupid proof highlight,
- last touched track
- on over dragging track
Old 07-30-2020, 03:02 AM   #39
Arthur

Dear devs, I would like to ask you about "thicker edit cursor over last selected track " or "cursor_seltrack.png image" as on the latest dev version. Maybe it would be better to do something similar as shown in the picture, without adding extra image of point , in my opinion it will be easier to look, will not be similar to other points, like on automation lanes etc, and will not distract attention.

https://piccy.info/view3/13917943/cc...aa5eb33f/orig/
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:51 AM   #40
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Now we have the freedom to customize, we can get this display right now by editing cursor_seltrack.png

cool is offline   Reply With Quote