Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.13+dev0723 - July 23 2020

v6.13+dev0723 - July 23 2020
+ About box: clicking import license key button with license in the clipboard asks to import license
+ Arrange view: Display slightly thicker edit cursor over last selected track (to indicate where pasted content will go)
+ Linux: improve behavior when copying symlinked media
+ Media explorer: add action to create subfolder
+ Media explorer: add various delete actions
+ Media explorer: set focus to arrange view after dragging samples from media explorer
+ Media explorer: support renaming folders in tree view
+ macOS: improve behavior when copying symlinked media
# Area selection: fix moving areas containing MIDI items across tempo changes
# Area selection: reduce edge hit areas when area is very small
# Media explorer: allow coexistence of option to retain search when changing folders, and option to search subfolders
# Media explorer: don't automatically browse to folder/database after dragging files
# Media explorer: fix file dragging
# Media explorer: fix minimum width when docked [p=2322747]
# Media explorer: fix unicode issue when switching list modes
# Media explorer: improve handling of symlinks on macOS
# Media explorer: reduce visual artifacts when resizing panes [p=2321363]
# Media explorer: select files after dragging into file list

This thread is for pre-release discussion. Please post other requests in the Feature Requests forum.

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

Thanks guys!

Regarding actions and media explorer..

Please could you consider putting an action in so that we could select a sound in the project bay "media items" tab and then use this action to show this sound in media explorer (ideally with it's start and end points shown by the time selection. We have this action in the "Source media" bay but this is never the bay I use as most sounds come in from a time selection and get foldered into the media items area instead.

The reason for this is as much as the project bay is awesome for sound designers, without it's own waveform display, we are kind of "flying blind" in there with anything other than short one shot sounds.

Anything quite long needs to be also seen in the media explorer and then dragged in from there if needed.

A lot of us in games, use the project bay to store/collect up sounds we stumble across whilst searching the library and store them in the project bay for later. If we either had an action or if the bay had it's very own waveform view this would go a long way to improving it!

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ Arrange view: Display slightly thicker edit cursor over last selected track (to indicate where pasted content will go)
This is not visually updated on track selection change. Only when you scroll it gets updated.

For the sake of rooting in the best UX possible for given circumstances, could you try to make the thicker line be just on the right side of the cursor? It would reflect how the content behaves on pasting. This could be then potentially reverted back.

This is a new thing and although it's small, if integrated well would affect workflow in a significant positive way. The questions are for example wouldn't it be better if the thicker cursor would be shown over all selected tracks? And what about integration with horizontal guides when moving media items?
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
Edgemeal

Can I turn this thick line off?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Maybe it's possible to implement an indepedent edit cursor for track?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
ferropop

Quote:
Accidentally looks like the edit cursor FR a few of us begged for lol.

Just curious - why don't we have an edit cursor indicator in Reaper? Currently if you briefly take your eyes away from the screen, it's practically impossible to know where your Ctrl-V paste will occur. That goes for items, AI, automation...

This is made worse by the lack of active track tinting. There's just nothing to help us out.

Seems perfectly reasonable to want a visual indicator of where the X/Y intersect, no? We are otherwise tracing the intersection of the Ruler with the Active Track (way at the left side of the screen) with our fingers.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't see it in the dev notes lol. Hope people can chime in, I personally think it's essential -- but maybe blinking, to draw our eyes to it?

Last edited by ferropop; 07-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
ferropop

MX: Preview: Stop/Start not working in Custom Action

Trying to create this awesome workflow!

Yup, preview different loops, in context, in realtime, perfectly stretched. It's so close!

BUT! I can't make the Custom Action stop the Preview player.

No matter which Stop/Start/Unload action I use, it just does nothing - the Preview plays at the same time as the Project.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Accidentally looks like the edit cursor FR a few of us begged for lol.
Oh OK, will just take a little time to get used to, I thought it was a bug at first LOL! Carry on.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
bFooz

Quote:
Oh OK, will just take a little time to get used to
That's true for me too.

It probably needs thinking (if not already done) about how it could be designed the best way possible, or if there are any other ways how to solve the same problem.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
Phazma

Quote:
Ugh this looks weird... I hope we can disable it.
Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
puddi

Quote:
# Media explorer: allow coexistence of option to retain search when changing folders, and option to search subfolders
Nice, now the Media Explorer is 95% there for me.

Would anyone else think it's a good idea to (optionally) filter the subfolders as well so that only folders relevant to the search filter are shown?

In this example all the circled folders would be hidden when searching for "Clap":

I know some DAW browsers does that because empty folders are just extra clutter when you need to find something.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
That's true for me too.

It probably needs thinking (if not already done) about how it could be designed the best way possible, or if there are any other ways how to solve the same problem.
Blinking (the line pulsating from 0-100% transparency?) would draw our eyes to it and it would not obstruct items!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
In this example all the circled folders would be hidden when searching for "Clap":
Because they do not contain any files or any subfolders with files that have "clap" in the searched fields? Yes, that is one option (posted Bitwig browser had this?). The other option is to keep folders shown but make clear they are empty by removing a "+" or "-" button. Premiere Pro does it this way if I remember correctly.

What about "clap" in a folder name?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
puddi

Quote:
This is made worse by the lack of active track tinting. There's just nothing to help us out.
Hnnng, track tinting. Look how easy it is to see what track is selected:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Because they do not contain any files or any subfolders with files that have "clap" in the searched fields? Yes, that is one option (posted Bitwig browser had this?). The other option is to keep folders shown but make clear they are empty by removing a "+" or "-" button. Premiere Pro does it this way if I remember correctly.

What about "clap" in a folder name?
Yes, Bitwig does it.

In Bitwig it seems like if a folder name matches the search filter then it just shows the whole folder... Which is not perfect imo, but it's better than nothing I guess?

Last edited by puddi; 07-23-2020 at 09:52 AM.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
No matter which Stop/Start/Unload action I use, it just does nothing - the Preview plays at the same time as the Project.
Could you just uncheck autoplay?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #16
vitalker

Quote:
Hnnng, track tinting. Look how easy it is to see what track is selected:
That's what I was referring to!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
Nostrap

Noticed that if you select a different track by clicking on the TCP area, the thicker edit cursor line doesn't update to the new track even though items will be pasted on that track instead
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could you just uncheck autoplay?
That works schwa but I wanted to keep Autoplay on for traversing with Up and Down (like normal), and use [ and ] to Traverse And Replace Media while suppressing autoplay.

Not a huge thing, just noticed that the Stop/Start actions were not working in MX when in a Custom Action.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
That works schwa but I wanted to keep Autoplay on for traversing with Up and Down (like normal), and use [ and ] to Traverse And Replace Media while suppressing autoplay.

Not a huge thing, just noticed that the Stop/Start actions were not working in MX when in a Custom Action.
It's not that they aren't working, it's that the selection change triggers the autoplay again. There are actions to enable/disable autoplay fwiw.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
horneusz

When changing the mode (list/details), the color changes to the default from V6 theme:

Attached Images
File Type: gif remove_theme_color.gif (48.2 KB, 1004 views)
horneusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #21
Funkybot

Can confirm the color change when switching between list/details view here. On Windows 10 anyway.

Media Explorer Problem: I want to bulk metadata tag a folder full of .wav files, but the .reapeaks files prevent this from happening. The Tag/Metadata options disappear from the menu whenever a .reapeaks file is included in the selection. If I uncheck "Show -> All Files" that does the track, but it's not necessarily something I want to keep off.

Request: Would be fastest/easiest if Reaper could just ignore .reapeaks file in relation to which Metadata context selection options appear. This way, if there are some .reapeaks file in a folder with .wav files, I can still get the Edit/Add Metadata options and bulk edit tags on the .wav files and the .reapeaks are just ignored entirely.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrap View Post
Noticed that if you select a different track by clicking on the TCP area, the thicker edit cursor line doesn't update to the new track even though items will be pasted on that track instead
Ya needs some work yet.
It moves if I double-click a track. If I single-click a track it doesn't move but if I then change focus to another app the line then moves, or when in another app and then single-click a track (which gives REAPER focus) the line moves.
Win10_x64
Old 07-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #23
dsyrock

It would be better if MX allow user to create symlink. For instance, I drag a folder from media column or Explorer/Finder, to a shortcut list, then MX creates a symlink of the source folder.
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #24
n997

This is very useful. Thanks!

As further improvement: can this thicker cursor (and paste functionality indicated by it) also be implemented for automation lanes, to facilitate copypasting envelope areas with Area Selection?

I believe it would require the equivalent of following pseudocode:

Code:
if last clicked coordinates are on an automation lane 

then 	
	/* set clicked coordinates as paste position for envelope */
	select the clicked automation lane's parent track
	select the clicked automation lane 

/* display thicker cursors */
	display thicker cursor on clicked automation lane's parent track
	display thicker cursor on clicked automation lane

Also, +1 for tinting of selected track.

Currently my solution for making track selection obvious is using a very bright color for "Selected track control panel background", and making tcp_bg.png and tcp_bgsel.png fully transparent.

Having a tinted track background would be simpler, more elegant solution.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #25
mccrabney

Quote:
this is a good step, but even this disappears in complex projects. i think that ferropop's suggestion of some sort of movement (ala the blinking cursor on this very forum text entry box) is a good one.

another +1 for tinting of selected track.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #26
ferropop

IMO should just sit and blink exactly where you last clicked, whether it's item lane, envelope lane, etc.

This honestly looks perfect to me (tint & blinking cursor):

Satisfies all the behaviour/feedback expectations we have from using any productivity software.

Last edited by ferropop; 07-23-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #27
n997

Quote:
IMO should just sit and blink exactly where you last clicked, whether it's item lane, envelope lane, etc.

Satisfies all the behaviour/feedback expectations we have from using any productivity software.
I'd be happy with this kind of implementation, as well.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #28
mccrabney

Quote:
# Area selection: reduce edge hit areas when area is very small
an improvement, but it still requires a high level of accuracy to pick out the movable area between the edge adjustment hit areas. moving the mouse across the AS shows that ~2/3rds of the area is taken up by edge adjustment hit areas.

(whole screen licecappers, take note)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #29
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
an improvement, but it still requires a high level of accuracy to pick out the movable area between the edge adjustment hit areas. moving the mouse across the AS shows that ~2/3rds of the area is taken up by edge adjustment hit areas.
This issue concerns not only AS.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #30
mccrabney

i'm running into a user error trap -

when attempting to remove a file from a database, my finger has hit the delete key by muscle memory. i've assigned this to "delete to recycling bin, no confirmation."

however, all i wanted to do was remove it from the database. is there any way to make this action context aware, so that we're not accidentally deleting important files?

i'm afraid that using the delete key to delete is too ingrained, and that requiring a different action for such a commonly grouped-together behavior is going to result in a lot more of this accidental file deletion.

tlrd "delete file if exploring folder, remove file if exploring database"

also, "undo"
Old 07-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #31
Stevie

Oh wow, last improvements is absolutely brilliant! Thank you very much!
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #32
Vagalume

Quote:

I agree.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #33
puddi

If the search box is empty and I click on a folder it doesn't show any of the folder contents.

It should show all the files in the folder, right?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #34
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
If the search box is empty and I click on a folder it doesn't show any of the folder contents.

It should show all the files in the folder, right?

Is there a space character in the search box or something?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #35
mccrabney

whoa. i'm suddenly getting very strange behavior with moving AS blocks.

this is a project that was written on dev0719. grabbing AS sections and moving them results in them skipping over different tracks.

edit, switching back to dev0719 eliminates this behavior
edit2, i am unable to reproduce this again once i returned to 0723 ...

Last edited by mccrabney; 07-23-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #36
puddi

v
Quote:
Is there a space character in the search box or something?
Nope, nothing like that.

Contents only show when I click on the deepest subfolder. It's like the "Search in subfolders" isn't working when the search box is empty:

Edit: Edit: Curiously enough this only happens with my Samples folder. Not with Desktop for example. Weird.

Last edited by puddi; 07-23-2020 at 11:55 AM.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #37
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Edit: Curiously enough this only happens with my Samples folder. Not with Desktop for example. Weird.
I can't reproduce this.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #38
mccrabney

Area Selection block movements do not respect "Automatically show affected media lanes when moving media items across tracks"

Last edited by mccrabney; 07-23-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #39
puddi

Quote:
I can't reproduce this.
Yeah, I don't know why it's happening to some folders. I'll investigate further.

I'm also suddenly getting a weird bug sometimes when typing in to the search box. The first letter ends up as the last letter of the search word:

I searched for clap, snare and bassdrum and not lapc, nares and assdrumb.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make sure search box is empty

2. Click on random folders

3. Focus on the search box and start typing
Old 07-23-2020, 12:10 PM   #40
WyattRice

Quote:
v6.13+dev0723 - July 23 2020

Is there a way you guys could have this as an option, or a way to adjust it back to normal somehow?