Old 08-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
vitalker
Human being with feelings

Default v6.13+dev0804 - August 4 2020

v6.13+dev0804 - August 4 2020
  • + Media explorer: change display option from "show leading path" to "show full path"
  • + Media explorer: don't re-scan after deleting files
  • # Area selection: fix mouse modifiers to delete or split a single area
  • # Area selection: fix undo on send envelope areas
  • # Media explorer: filter out duplicate files when adding path to database
  • # Theme: restore cursor_seltrack.png support
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
n997

Quote:
# Theme: restore cursor_seltrack.png support
Thanks! Hoping this will carry over to main release eventually.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Win Conway

Seems a little broken here, the image has no relationship to the top of the track, 1st pixel at the bottom of the image is lower edge of track, shouldn't the 1st pixel at the top of the image be the top of the track ?
So your upper most edge is somewhere in the middle of the track, see images below.

Original cursor image

Zoomed cursor image

Result in Reaper

Last edited by Win Conway; 08-04-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
1st pixel at the bottom of the image is lower edge of track
Hm yeah, the code-drawn bracket is designed to sit just inside the part of the lane where media is drawn, but the theme image should fill the whole track so it can be designed to do whatever, so we'll fix that.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
Funkybot

"Show full path" is working as expected now over here. Still getting the weird glitch where the disk drives disappear in the My Computer shortcut as posted here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...82&postcount=6
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Win Conway

Media explorer is broken entirely here.

Drag n drop

Double click

EDIT*
Roll back and it works fine, reinstall this build, still not working.

Last edited by Win Conway; 08-05-2020 at 12:31 AM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Embass

inconsistency

You can copy locked media items using normal time selection, but with area selection it doesnt work.
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Embass

Move automation to track 2. Sometimes it draws area selection over track 2, sometimes doesnt..
gif: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EHV...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #9
Embass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
[*]# Area selection: fix mouse modifiers to delete or split a single area
action "Split media items at one area selection" still splits at all selections
Old 08-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #10
Embass

Media explorer doesnt update pitch, rate knobs while draging
gif: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pop...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-05-2020, 02:39 AM   #11
PetrWerba

Quote:
v6.13+dev0804 - August 4 2020

+ Media explorer: don't re-scan after deleting files
Thanks you !!!

If you use the mouse to select - it's good now.

But...
Let's say I need to go through the list and delete unnecessary files.
I don't use a mouse for this.
I use keyboard shortcuts.

If you use the shortcuts to move through the list, and to deletete files, it would be convenient:

After deleting/moving a file, when you press the down/up keys, focus(selection) would be given to the next/previous file, relative to the deleted, instead of the first in the list.

Is it possible? It would be great!
Thanks !!!

Last edited by PetrWerba; 08-05-2020 at 02:52 AM.
PetrWerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:47 AM   #12
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
the code-drawn bracket is designed to sit just inside the part of the lane where media is drawn
Why is this so when the bracket represents a track?
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Media explorer is broken entirely here.
Oops. Enable "Options > Show > File extension even when file type displayed" and it should work.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #14
bFooz

Would it be possible to really think thoroughly about how the area selection is going to co-live with time selection, loop points and mouse modifiers?

For example this, if I want to adjust several envelope segments at once using AS, cannot do it:

The relationship between time selection and area selection reminds me the redundancy of track selection vs last touched track.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:10 AM   #15
nappies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Would it be possible to really think thoroughly about how the area selection is going to co-live with time selection, loop points and mouse modifiers?
Yes, it is very important. I also insist on the "virtual" selection of items with AS.That would be compatibility with old scripts.
nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #16
Coachz

Quote:
v6.13+dev0804 - August 4 2020[*]# Theme: restore cursor_seltrack.png support

Excellent.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #17
n997

Quote:
# Area selection: support engaging snap mouse modifier after starting to create area
In dev0803 and dev0804, this (or something related to this) has severely impacted the ability to activate right-click when using a pencil [via pencil button when hovering], if "Area selection" is set to be activated by "right drag".

When "Arrange view" > "right drag" is set to "Area selection", it seems like the differentiation between right-click and right drag is now very precise. Mouse/pencil cursor must stay in exactly same coordinates for click to be interpreted as a right click, otherwise it is interpreted as right drag.

Due to pencil being held in hand, there is almost always some amount of movement between pencil button pressing down and being released - even the act of clicking itself shakes the pencil a tiny amount. In above described situation, this movement is being interpreted as initiating drag.

This does not appear to happen in dev0729 [when "right drag" is set to "Area selection"]. It also does not affect click-drag differentiation in "Marquee select items".

To some extent, this can also be tested by moving the mouse fast and seeing whether it activates click or drag.

I am not 100% sure what exactly affects this in the source code, but I suspect that there are values that define how many pixels of movement (and perhaps how many milliseconds) between mousedown and mouseup are allowed before interpreting the movement as click or drag - or something to that effect.

If that is so, I suggest that these values are made user-adjustable in some way, perhaps in "Preferences" > "Editing behavior/Mouse", under "Use pen/tablet safe mode".

Last edited by n997; 08-05-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: added information
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
Funkybot

Quote:

For example this, if I want to adjust several envelope segments at once using AS, cannot do it:

The relationship between time selection and area selection reminds me the redundancy of track selection vs last touched track.
I'm thinking [hoping/wishing/praying], that stuff will come when AS is stable with major issues ironed out. Hoping for 'iron out the kinks, get the fundamentals right, then expand the feature set in later releases.'
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #19
PhelixK

Hi, just tried +dev0803 on macOS Mojave. Latest +dev0804 isn't fully working here..

cursor_seltrack

My wish for the coded fall-back cursor (when not using image):

-A simple straight vertical 1 px line.
-Full track height, inside top/bottom boundaries.
-Settings in Tweaker, to define primary/alternate colors and blend method.

Here's a mockup showing a pulsating track indicator (red in this example), and optional static appearance (white example). In both examples, the full cursor is also set to blink:

– IMO there is no need for a bracket shape or anything showing the direction. Even for newcomers, I think it will be very obvious items are placed to the right.

** If performing an undo after items insertion, I would like the cursor to move back (re-position). Now it does not.

Really like the new track highlight!

Media Explorer
So many nice new features!

I have a couple bugs to report here on Mac, and some wishes/suggestions:

– would love to be able to drop folders as new databases -like most apps are integrated on mac.
– instead of the volume slider, perhaps a knob and options to type exact values.
– abcd, jumping rows when docked panel is narrow: Top: a+b, Below: c+d
– would it be possible to display Album art? Just an idea since the Video/media viewer seems improved a lot with latest MX.

bugs:
* the file name in footer is cut off, probably better if aligned to the right, still before bpm info.
* on mac, when collapsing all folders using [Option] + close, the list disappears = new MX instance
* sometimes the old yellow folder icon is upside down. One way to trigger this behavior on my system, is by choosing Classix_1x, and then back to Default 6 and reopen MX.
* some symbols for navigation isn't reversed in dark mode.

Using Dark Mode for the test:

+dev0804: MX not working:

Last edited by PhelixK; 08-05-2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: mockup -not muck.....
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Hi, just tried +dev0803 on macOS Mojave. Latest +dev0804 isn't fully working here..
See post #13 above.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #21
musicbynumbers

Default can anyone confirm this automation recording bug?

If anyone here has a second to test this automation bug that would be appreciated as I still don't know if it's just a setting I've got "wrong" or it's a bug.

It's quite a bad bug too with fundamental automation recording behaviour being very broken for me.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....78#post2328478

Thanks!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 08-05-2020 at 01:40 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #22
PhelixK

Quote:
See post #13 above.
ah thank you, better now!
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
inspired

Running VST3 instances in separate/dedicated process is broken!

Posted this as a bug report but nothing changed..
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=236029
Old 08-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #24
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
If anyone here has a second to test this automation bug that would be appreciated as I still don't know if it's just a setting I've got "wrong" or it's a bug.

It's quite a bad bug too with fundamental automation recording behaviour being very broken for me.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....78#post2328478

Thanks!
Thanks to a few others we found out that this is caused by not having the time selection tied to loop points. well.. basically if you have time selection active it works but if you don't have a time selection it breaks.

If this is easy to fix that would be amazing to workflow with automation. Thanks!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 08-05-2020 at 07:02 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #25
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
When "Arrange view" > "right drag" is set to "Area selection", it seems like the differentiation between right-click and right drag is now very precise. Mouse/pencil cursor must stay in exactly same coordinates for click to be interpreted as a right click, otherwise it is interpreted as right drag.

Due to pencil being held in hand, there is almost always some amount of movement between pencil button pressing down and being released - even the act of clicking itself shakes the pencil a tiny amount. In above described situation, this movement is being interpreted as initiating drag.

This does not appear to happen in dev0729 [when "right drag" is set to "Area selection"]. It also does not affect click-drag differentiation in "Marquee select items".

To some extent, this can also be tested by moving the mouse fast and seeing whether it activates click or drag.
I know the devs don't want to hear this, but there HAS to be an option for left-drag area selection. Has to be. There are so many input devices, trackpads, etc. where it just is not feasible. And tbh, I don't understand the reservation. As currently implemented, anyone who makes serious use of area selection is just going to end up with carpal tunnel.

Even if for some reason you guys don't want to add mouse modifiers (which I also don't understand), at least you could give the option for swapping left and right drag in the arrange so that left-drag could be AS and right-drag marquee select. Please don't force us into a really awkward workflow when it isn't necessary,
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #26
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
I know the devs don't want to hear this, but there HAS to be an option for left-drag area selection. Has to be. There are so many input devices, trackpads, etc. where it just is not feasible. And tbh, I don't understand the reservation. As currently implemented, anyone who makes serious use of area selection is just going to end up with carpal tunnel.

Even if for some reason you guys don't want to add mouse modifiers (which I also don't understand), at least you could give the option for swapping left and right drag in the arrange so that left-drag could be AS and right-drag marquee select. Please don't force us into a really awkward workflow when it isn't necessary,
I still like the idea of a mode between: item selection and area selection.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:58 PM   #27
Win Conway

Quote:
Oops. Enable "Options > Show > File extension even when file type displayed" and it should work.
This works after a restart, you didn't previously need to have that enabled right ?
It is possible I changed that setting while theming though.

Quote:

I would guess they just haven't added it to the track mouse modifier or something yet, for those of us who use that to get a left drag marquee now, it has to have at lest the AS key cuts in there, agreed that left drag in the arranger modifiers would be best though.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #28
jrengmusic

Quote:
I know the devs don't want to hear this, but there HAS to be an option for left-drag area selection. Has to be.

Please don't force us into a really awkward workflow when it isn't necessary,
Quote:

These are two things which stopping me from using current state of AS. It’s there but not that useful to incorporate it into my workflow. Rewriting muscle memory is slow and painful. Yet, I believe the main objective of adding new features is to increase productivity in using REAPER.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #29
deeb

the feature is there and is amazingly useful as is. I need to be fair in this.
Everything comming next is welcome but it's an extra.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #30
planetnine

I think the root problem with AS and left-drag is the complexity of things performed in the Arrange View with the left mouse button in REAPER's tool-less environment; as the more specifdic Modifiers (media item, MI edge, envelope points, SMs, etc) take precedence over the broader left drag aspect of Track or Arrange MM, you don't get free rein over where you drag in arrange without dragging destructive furrows through your existing project.

Set the "Alt" MM on Track|Left drag to Marquee Select or Marquee zoom and try to use it in a crowded editing area. Unless you start over background trackspace, you are going to Alt-Left-drag media items, stretch markers or envelopes in some way. Left button MMs are too congested a method for Arrange.

Other DAW environments tend to use tools, and so what you can manipulate with the left button is more controlled in the tool-space that you are in for their AS. If in REAPER you disabled the Left Drag MM actions for higher-layer objects like media items and their contents to allow unrestricted Left Drag landing points, you would need tools or modes creating to replace that functionality.

Right button drag is much more sparse by comparison, and I'm sure that is why the default MMs for Marquee select, marquee zoom and AS are set to right-button-drag. To be honest, it can be a little odd getting used to it, but I prefer this over losing the tool-less environment to gain left-drag AS.

Left-drag and even left-click has never been been added to the Arrange View in Mouse Modifiers. I wonder what the specific difference is between Arrange and Track, maybe it is a layer precedence thing..?

>
Old 08-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #31
jrengmusic

I don’t think context sensitive left-drag would be a problem. Because currently we can have left-drag (for time selection i.e) in arrange view however crowded your project is.

The problem are
  • Inconsistency mouse modifier action between time/item selection combo with area selection. Which in a lot of cases seems illogical and counter-intuitive.
  • If we can have left-drag for time selection why not for Area Selection? AS is just selective time selection on lanes, tracks, isn’t it?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #32
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I wonder what the specific difference is between Arrange and Track, maybe it is a layer precedence thing..?
I thought Arrange view is something under all the tracks, but after checking mouse modifiers I'm not sure at all.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #33
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
I don’t think context sensitive left-drag would be a problem. Because currently we can have left-drag (for time selection i.e) in arrange view however crowded your project is.

. . .

Yes, but you do need to be careful to click empty track space before you drag. If you catch any media item or envelope point, you're going to be undoing an unintended object move. This isn't the case with Right Drag; that isn't cluttered with more precedent layer mouse hooks...

>