Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
Hand Amputation
Human being with feelings

Default Please help! Acoustic duo live audio is way too quiet!

First of all, thanks in advance for reading this.

I recorded an acoustic duo perform the other night using a portable Tascam field recorder, and the audio came out VERY quiet. I am looking for the best way to salvage the audio and make it usable, as I have to edit a video for the group. The Camera audio is garbage, so I am stuck with using what the Tascam captured.

I use reaper for my day to day mixing needs, but I have never dealt with this problem before. The audio sounds decent, it is just very quiet.

I am pretty new to this, so any tips, tricks, or helpful links to more information would be greatly appreciated.
Hand Amputation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Hi H.A. Just raise it up to where you feel it needs to be.

My tendency is to put a plugin on the track or tracks (on a parent folder) whose function is just to correct the volume, such as a JS Volume Adjustment or the free Blue Cat Gain and raise it so that I can keep the track faders close to 0 instead of pushed up. You can also just click on the item properties and raise the gain there. You're better off hitting your plugins (compression/eq etc) when the audio is at a reasonable level than having them work on audio that's -30 db. I don't have stuff like this hitting the master at the super low level and making the master do the entire volume raise.

Before you do any of this, make sure it's not the monitoring that's making the file seem low, that it really is low audio.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Hand Amputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Hi H.A. Just raise it up to where you feel it needs to be.

My tendency is to put a plugin on the track or tracks (on a parent folder) whose function is just to correct the volume, such as a JS Volume Adjustment or the free Blue Cat Gain and raise it so that I can keep the track faders close to 0 instead of pushed up. You can also just click on the item properties and raise the gain there. You're better off hitting your plugins (compression/eq etc) when the audio is at a reasonable level than having them work on audio that's -30 db. I don't have stuff like this hitting the master at the super low level and making the master do the entire volume raise.

Before you do any of this, make sure it's not the monitoring that's making the file seem low, that it really is low audio.
Thanks, V.

I guess my question would be if there is any built in plugin or FX that I could use to make up for the low volume. I tried cranking the fader, but it's not getting quite loud enough. I also tried the 'amplify' effect in Audacity and that seemed to help a bit, but it's not quite there yet.

Please keep the advice coming!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
slipstick

JS Volume Adjustment IS a built-in FX, Just look in the JS set. It will give you a LOT of gain so be careful with it.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Hand Amputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
JS Volume Adjustment IS a built-in FX, Just look in the JS set. It will give you a LOT of gain so be careful with it.

Steve
Thanks for the info, I'll check this out. I really hope this works, this project depends on it!

If anyone else cares to chime in, by all means, please do so!
Old 08-12-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
sisaso

Just normalize the Item and hear where you stand, Sound to Noise ratio wise.Then take the item volume down to your operating level.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post

Steve
Yes, the JS plugins and tools are inserted as you would a VST plugin. Same as adding your other plugins just navigate to the JS folder. Once you get used to the plugin you can use it other than as an insert (such as take fx), but in this case raising the item volume 20 db will do the same as doing it with a take fx and will be simpler. I personally prefer to use a plugin (JS or other) for things like this because if ten minutes later I decide to adjust it it's right there and covers the whole track.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Hand Amputation

Thanks for the help. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb4eTR8YmIE