Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
zydeceltico
Human being with feelings

Default Compression While Tracking

I've read and re-read the manual and am still unclear on this one thing: Say when tracking a guitar - if I have reacomp as an insert on the track being recorded, I know I hear the compression happening but is the compression actually going to "tape?" I ask this because of wanting to attempt to control some of the spikiness of my strat wilst tracking.

Also - what is technically happening when I insert JS:stillwell/majortom on any track and change the input detector to sidechain that gain instantly increases without introducing anything at all into the sidechain?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Last edited by zydeceltico; 05-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
zydeceltico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
nofish

Since Reaper v4 there are separate 'inputFX' slots.
A compression plugin 'goes to tape' only if you use it as a inputFX but not as normal insertFX.

But note that even if you use a comp or limiter as inputFX it doesn't help preventing your input converters of your soundcard from clipping.
How I understand your question, for what you actually want to do I think, you'd need a hardware (analog) comp or limiter that acts before the A/D converters.
I personally think that if you're recording in 24bit there so much dynamics/headroom available that hardware comps aren't necessary anymore like in the old tape days. The only thing to worry is not clipping your converters.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
zydeceltico

inputFX slots? This is new to me. Where can I find them and more info? Has the manual been updated or maybe I totally missed that dialogue.

Also - what is technically happening when I insert JS:stillwell/majortom on any track and change the input detector to sidechain that gain instantly increases without introducing anything at all into the sidechain?

Again - Thanks for the clarifying!
zydeceltico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
nofish

If you use the v4 default theme there's a button called 'Input FX', on the TCP, right to the record arm button. Push it to load Input FX. ('slots' was just a term I used, probably not the official wording)
I'm pretty sure it should be in the manual since it was one of the main new features of v4.

edit:
Here's the official announcement with a short explaination
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=69734

Can't help with your other question, sorry.

Last edited by nofish; 05-25-2012 at 03:58 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
zappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
But note that even if you use a comp or limiter as inputFX it doesn't help preventing your input converters of your soundcard from clipping.
How I understand your question, for what you actually want to do I think, you'd need a hardware (analog) comp or limiter that acts before the A/D converters.
I personally think that if you're recording in 24bit there so much dynamics/headroom available that hardware comps aren't necessary anymore like in the old tape days. The only thing to worry is not clipping your converters.
I'm with nofish here. I see very few (if any) reasons to ever record with fx/comp/etc. post A-D, though there are numerous examples of when it is useful to do it before the A-D stage. Eg., when using a nice mic strip like the Focusrite ISA430.

The flexibility of being able to adjust and change these things during mixing is key and once nailed into the audio they're impossible to remove/tweak/change. If you're using software processing for any of this stuff in Reaper, do it non-destructively.

z.

Please check my (recently reopened) Normalisation bugrep and confirm, thanks!
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote