Old 10-02-2018, 08:59 AM   #41
jens
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Are you positive that it isn't calling the old plugins at all?

this was the problem I had initially. I had both versions and it picked the older one

Yes, I am - it had indeed picked the old version here as well until I re-booted Windows.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #42
patriciocs

Just tested ARA2 with Melodyne 4.2 and the integration works (I can see the blobs, make pitch adjustments, etc)... but for some reason the voice track I am using for testing is played faster and out of sync with the rest of the tracks when melodyne plugin is enabled. Quite weird.

Anyone else have the same issue?

EDIT: I found the issue, I must apply Project Tempo in order to get the track in sync... I though Melodyne should gather the project tempo automatically but it looks it don't.

Last edited by patriciocs; 10-02-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: I found the issue
patriciocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #43
ferropop

Hi! Is this the intended behaviour? I've drawn Item Mute automation on the clip, but it is not reflected in ARA2 Melodyne.

Is this desirable?

ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #44
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Hi! Is this the intended behaviour? I've drawn Item Mute automation on the clip, but it is not reflected in ARA2 Melodyne.

Is this desirable?
Yes, ARA plugins are applied before everything, as they essentially replace the source audio with the edited audio.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #45
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Yes, ARA plugins are applied before everything, as they essentially replace the source audio with the edited audio.
Thanks Schwa, if thinking about it in that way this makes total sense. However it doesn't go the other way does it? If I delete notes in Melodyne, they stay in the waveform, so there is still a disconnect.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #46
ferropop

Quote:
Thanks Schwa, if thinking about it in that way this makes total sense. However it doesn't go the other way does it? If I delete notes in Melodyne, they stay in the waveform, so there is still a disconnect.
With that said, that's the pre-ARA behaviour anyways haha so this is all still a gigantic improvement -- just trying to wrap my head around how this all works and which visuals to trust. It's so cool moving clips around in Reaper and seeing them update their position in Melodyne.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #47
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Correct, the waveform preview in REAPER doesn't have any way to know what you've done in the ARA plugin.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #48
Xenakios

Quote:
Correct, the waveform preview in REAPER doesn't have any way to know what you've done in the ARA plugin.
Except if the plugin was offline rendered in the background to get the waveform...
Old 10-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #49
_Stevie_

Okay, I tried a couple of things... confirming project tempo, inserting Melodyne as an track fx, checking if the track is armed. Didn't help, I still can't hear anything. The channel doesn't produce any audio, when applying the Melodyne VST3 plugin.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #50
Susan G

Hi-

Just to clarify, Celemony isn't calling it "ARA2," just Melodyne 4.2, correct? I was a beta tester and got the announcement of the free update, but I somehow thought they'd make a bigger deal of it when it was released.

Thanks-

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #51
ferropop

Can we summarize the pre/post behaviour of all the Reaper elements pertaining to ARA2? This is important because it describes the disconnect between what you see and what you hear when using Melodyne.

1. Item stretching is PRE. If you stretch in Reaper it stretches in Melodyne, and even retains Melodyne pitch edits if you stretch again!)
2. Slip editing is PRE!
3. Stretch Markers are POST. If you use them, they are not necessarily applying to what you see in the waveform, but rather to Melodyne's copy of the audio. This is icky. However, you might as well just use Melodyne's stretching if using it at all.
4. Item Envelopes are POST. If you draw in Mute/Volume/Pitch/Pan automation on items, they are applying after your Melodyne edits. Even though it gives the appearance of affecting the waveform pre-Melodyne (Mute hides the waveform data) but it's actually operating post.
5. Crossfades are POST.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #52
Jae.Thomas

I'm definitely getting some tracks go out of sync and show no editing or blobs... its just stuck.... but when i move it out of it's folder track, it shows up but still not in sync
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #53
HighVoltage

Quote:
I'm definitely getting some tracks go out of sync and show no editing or blobs... its just stuck.... but when i move it out of it's folder track, it shows up but still not in sync
Have you tried opening the Track list in Melodyne (top left icons).
There you can switch between the tracks you want to edit with the orange blob icon after the track name.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:08 AM   #54
patriciocs

Quote:
And don't forget to set the Project Tempo.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #55
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciocs View Post
And don't forget to set the Project Tempo.
what exactly does that mean in this context? Isn't reaper's tempo always set?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #56
Jae.Thomas

im seeing this link from stevie in my email but not here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1En4...7S1nlMVQs/view

project start time...

YES I think I had an incorrect entry in there.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #57
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Do you guys think there is something REAPER could improve in this regard?
I don't know if this is possible for reaper, but if Reaper could just tell Melodyne "assume project tempo unless otherwise instructed" that would be great.

So, if a song is recorded at 90 beats per minute, regardless if it's actually AT those beats per minute, melodyne thinks it's at 90 bpm.

If the user wants melodyne to tempo map the piece, he can then do other things... but imo it should just do a number of things automatically...

we could have options in how files are treated with ARA, but I think right off the bat, it should just detect it in the background, save it's data about what it knows, and then you can manipulate later.

You insert melodyne
Melodyne gets access to the audio
melodyne gets all of the information it can about the audio (it can even detect the tempo it THINKS it is)
melodyne DOES nothing as far as adjustments
melodyne plays back, assuming tempo is correct

Then you can edit
Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #58
Trancit

Call me silly, but how do you guys do that...

I´ve got 5.96RC4 installed and Melodyne 4.2 VST3 installed...

and nothing...

If I load it on a track with vocals on, it loads as before with the transfer button and does nothing automatically
Same as a take fx...

I searched the preferences but found anything related neither...

Could please somebody enlighten me...
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #59
multibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
Call me silly, but how do you guys do that...

I´ve got 5.96RC4 installed and Melodyne 4.2 VST3 installed...

and nothing...

If I load it on a track with vocals on, it loads as before with the transfer button and does nothing automatically
Same as a take fx...

I searched the preferences but found anything related neither...

Could please somebody enlighten me...
ARA has been removed from the release candidate, you have to use rc3 or pre-releases:

v5.96rc4 - October 5 2018
+ Video: 360 panner spherical source mode
# ARA: ARA will not be in 5.96
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #60
schwa
Administrator

We are targeting 5.97 for an official ARA release. It was useful to get everyone's attention though!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #61
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibody View Post
ARA has been removed from the release candidate, you have to use rc3 or pre-releases:

v5.96rc4 - October 5 2018
+ Video: 360 panner spherical source mode
# ARA: ARA will not be in 5.96
Oh, ok, that´s the reason...
Thought already I am too silly
Thx...
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 AM   #62
Arionas

What about "Undo" when editing in Melodyne?
Right now, when I hit cmd(ctrl)+z it changes the cursor to the magnifying tool instead of undo my last melodyne edit.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #63
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
What about "Undo" when editing in Melodyne?
Right now, when I hit cmd(ctrl)+z it changes the cursor to the magnifying tool instead of undo my last melodyne edit.
The last dev branch should solve that because the undo system was re-enabled for Melodyne.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #64
Arionas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
The last dev branch should solve that because the undo system was re-enabled for Melodyne.
Thanks!
I was experimenting with the "v5.96+dev1009"
I'm going right now to try the "v5.96+dev1010"

Last edited by Arionas; 10-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Arionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #65
Arionas

Hmmmm.. nada..
Also here, cmd+z for undo, just selects the magnifier tool
Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #66
patriciocs

Quote:
what exactly does that mean in this context? Isn't reaper's tempo always set?
Sorry for my late reply. Besides having the tempo set in Reaper you must also set the tempo in the instance of Melodyne plugin. If you fail to do that the audio will be out of sync. There is a combobox at the upper left of Melodyne windows. You must select "use project temo" or something like that.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 AM   #67
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciocs View Post
Sorry for my late reply. Besides having the tempo set in Reaper you must also set the tempo in the instance of Melodyne plugin. If you fail to do that the audio will be out of sync. There is a combobox at the upper left of Melodyne windows. You must select "use project temo" or something like that.
Why is this nescesary? Can't melody be just use reapers tempo by default?

Also, why are stretch markers post-melodyne and stretch clip pre-melodyne?
StuhRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #68
MusoBob

Do you have to go through the Melodyne track moving notes manually to change chords or is there a way now to move the notes with Reascript ?

if you could get n set the notes

reaper.MIDI_SetMelodyneNote
reaper.TrackFX_SetMelodyneNote

??????
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #69
Eraz

I have a question about how Melodyne saves the changes it has made to an item.
I have 2 tracks, on one I have loaded Melodyne, the other one has no plugin loaded. If Itune an item on Track 1 and drag it to Track 2 and then back to Track 1, then melodyne reanalyses the item and the changes are gone.

This works instead if Track 2 also has loaded Melodyne. Then you can drag each tuned file between the two tracks..

Would it be possible somehow that Melodyne saves the changes somewhere, so when you drag that item back it will have the changes you made to it before?

Last edited by Eraz; 12-28-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #70
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraz View Post
Would it be possible somehow that Melodyne saves the changes somewhere, so when you drag that item back it will have the changes you made to it before?
this is actually the difference between track FX and item/take FX. if you want be able to edit an item and drag it to other track, you need the item/take FX.

I believe, you actually can add Melodyne as an item FX, but no clue if it really works. for some reason Reaper folks thought that most people will want to use Melodyne as track FX, there may be dragons when using it as item FX. although, everyone will benefit if they would be found and fixed.
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #71
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
this is actually the difference between track FX and item/take FX. if you want be able to edit an item and drag it to other track, you need the item/take FX.

I believe, you actually can add Melodyne as an item FX, but no clue if it really works. for some reason Reaper folks thought that most people will want to use Melodyne as track FX, there may be dragons when using it as item FX. although, everyone will benefit if they would be found and fixed.
I am no programmer anymore, but I am pretty sure that it should be possible also with track FX. I assume in Reaper each item has its own item ID, ARA could transfer that to melodyne, and if melodyne would save these ID's and all the changes made to them in files, then it should theoretically be possible to drag these items anywhere you want. And when you move them back to the track with melodyne loaded it knows the ID and it reapplies the correction.

But maybe ARA is not able to do that yet?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #72
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I have a question about how Melodyne saves the changes it has made to an item.
I have 2 tracks, on one I have loaded Melodyne, the other one has no plugin loaded. If Itune an item on Track 1 and drag it to Track 2 and then back to Track 1, then melodyne reanalyses the item and the changes are gone.

This works instead if Track 2 also has loaded Melodyne. Then you can drag each tuned file between the two tracks..

You have correctly described the current situation. Every track or item that has ARA FX can be aware of every other track or item that has ARA FX. For example, if Melodyne is on tracks 1 and 2, you can edit items on either track and move them to the other track without losing data. If Melodyne is on the item itself, you can move the item anywhere without losing data.

Data is discarded when you move media to a non-ARA-aware context because otherwise, the amount of persistent data would grow out of control. You can work around this by using ARA as per-take FX (which isn't any more resource intensive than using it as track FX), or by keeping a muted copy of the item on an ARA-aware track.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:32 PM   #73
Eraz

Quote:
Data is discarded when you move media to a non-ARA-aware context because otherwise, the amount of persistent data would grow out of control. You can work around this by using ARA as per-take FX (which isn't any more resource intensive than using it as track FX), or by keeping a muted copy of the item on an ARA-aware track.
Such a pity. Maybe somewhen ARA is able to handle this efficiently without a lot of effort. Thanks anyway for the precise answer!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #74
Joe90

Quote:
Such a pity. Maybe somewhen ARA is able to handle this efficiently without a lot of effort. Thanks anyway for the precise answer!
It is. Use Take FX as Schwa suggested. You get the exact behaviour you're asking for.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #75
amagalma

Is it (or will it be) possible that "melodyned" audio play at different playback rates like the rest of audio? Currently, if I change the project playback rate then I get no sound
Old 12-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #76
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It is. Use Take FX as Schwa suggested. You get the exact behaviour you're asking for.
Yes I tried it today and it really seems to work okay like that! Need more time with it to be sure, but it seems to work. Thank you and Schwa for the suggestion!
Old 12-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #77
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
Is it (or will it be) possible that "melodyned" audio play at different playback rates like the rest of audio? Currently, if I change the project playback rate then I get no sound
Noticed the same, thought something was broken, but yeah it was only with tracks which had melodyne on it. Not a really big problem for me though.