Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
ikhider
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on Wine in Manjaro Linux.

I have Reaper installed via WINE on Manjaro Linux. Am trying to configure audio playback. Ideally, this would be through ALSA onto my Motu M2 audio card. I installed ASIO4ALL, but get no audio. I would like to avoid pulse audio as it seems the only option. I do not need Jack because I am not recording.

What I am trying to do is get Windows audio plugins to work for audio repair/cleaning, something Linux currently lacks. These plugins for audio repair are for Windows only.
ikhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
Glennbo

Why not use the native Linux version of REAPER with ALSA and then bridge your Windows plugins using LinVST. I use Kontakt, Superior Drummer 2, and a whole lot of other Windows plugins this way. If you get them installed okay in WINE, then you run a one time process from LinVST that makes the plugins show up in the native Linux version of REAPER.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
ikhider

How would I configure LinVST on Reaper to get the Windows plugins I need? Just based on what I read so far, my way seems much simpler.

Last edited by ikhider; 10-14-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Glennbo

LinVST is two steps IIRC. You copy it's server file where it needs to live and then run linvstconvert. I've never run the Windows version of REAPER on Linux, so I'm no help there.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
Held

To install and configure LinVST (on Manjaro), open a terminal and enter

Code:
pamac install linvst-stable
Say 'n' to edit files and 'y' to apply changes.

In a terminal, navigate to the path that contains your windows vsts.

Code:
cd "/home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VstPlugins/"
Replace 'yourusername' with your actual username.

Run the conversion program.
Code:
linvstconvert-cli -r
This will add the '.so' files to your directory.

Make sure that

Code:
/home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VstPlugins/
is added to the vst plug-in paths in Reaper

If anything doesn't work or is unclear, I'll be happy to help you out.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
ikhider

Greetings, I did try the first command and received: Error: target not found: linvst-stable

I do have AUR enabled and there are various linvst packages such as linvst, linvstmanager-git, linvst3-x-bin (2.1-1), linvst3-bin (2.1-1), linvst3 (1.8.2-1), linvst-x-bin (3.1-1), linvst-bin (3.1-1)
Old 10-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhider View Post
Greetings, I did try the first command and received: Error: target not found: linvst-stable

I do have AUR enabled and there are various linvst packages such as linvst, linvstmanager-git, linvst3-x-bin (2.1-1), linvst3-bin (2.1-1), linvst3 (1.8.2-1), linvst-x-bin (3.1-1), linvst-bin (3.1-1)
It seems linvst-stable has been removed since I installed it. The replacement is linvst-bin. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the commandline interface, so you'll have to use the gui.

You can run it with

Code:
linvstconverttree
after you've installed it.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
ikhider

Thanks, I am a bit closer now, but the GUI drills down and will not let me settle on a folder so I can tell it, 'go scan there'. What would be the exact path? WINE apps are in numerous parts of my hard drive. The GUI does not let me navigate the previous path you stipulated, which was /home/user/.wine and so on.

I managed to get lnvstmanager to find the dll files, but there is a 'no bridge' message for all of them.

Last edited by ikhider; 10-14-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: update.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
Held

Quote:
Thanks, I am a bit closer now, but the GUI drills down and will not let me settle on a folder so I can tell it, 'go scan there'. What would be the exact path? WINE apps are in numerous parts of my hard drive. The GUI does not let me navigate the previous path you stipulated, which was /home/user/.wine and so on.
I just discovered the linvstmanager which is much more convenient to use. You can install it from AUR as linvstmanager-git.

Here's the manual. https://github.com/Goli4thus/linvstmanager

For the basic setup, go to Options->preferences and enable linvst. Set the path to /usr/share/LinVst/linvst.so

Then, go to Edit->Scan and select one of your folders with the .dll in the opened window.

Click "scan" and select the plugins you want to use with your mouse (or ctrl-A). Right-click on one of them and hit "select".

Then, at the bottom, click "add".

Then go to Edit->Update.

Now all plugins should have a yellow square and status "disabled". This is fine, and you should find them in Reaper.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
FeedTheCat

I've recently switched to yabridge, I really like it so far and it's easy to set up.

1. Install yabridge-bin from the AUR

2. Open a terminal and add the paths to your plugins, like this:
Code:
yabridgectl add "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VstPlugins"
yabridgectl add "/some/other/path"
3. When you're done, use sync:
Code:
yabridgectl sync
Old 10-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #11
ikhider

Held, I get stuck with the folder scans as I cannot point it to where the dll's are installed. I cannot do /home/user/.wine and so on.

Feedthecat, there is a part where tab completion will not work so I cannot get to that area. Typing the path directly just spits out errors. (invalid value for path).

Last edited by ikhider; 10-14-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: brevity
Old 10-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #12
osxmidi

Quote:
Held, I get stuck with the folder scans as I cannot point it to where the dll's are installed. I cannot do /home/user/.wine and so on.

Feedthecat, there is a part where tab completion will not work so I cannot get to that area. Typing the path directly just spits out errors. (invalid value for path).
Speaking for LinVst,

The windows plugins usually install to /home/your-user-name/.wine/Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins or something similar.

It's basically very similar to Windows except the paths are in a hidden wine folder .wine

But vst's can usually be installed to another place, say /home/your-user-name/vst which gets rid of having to deal with Wines hidden .wine directory.

For Linvst it (linvstconvert) needs to scan the vst folder and leave some linux .so files that have the same names as the Windows vst dll files do, so that the Linux Daw can load the Windows vst's, and that would usually be done by linvstconvert.

Then set the Daw to scan the vst folder.

To install LinVst just download LinVst 3.1 from https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases and copy the lin-vst-server-xxx files to /usr/bin

Start linvstconvert (it can handle hidden paths like /home/your-user-name/.wine/Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins) and find the linvst.so file (inside the downloaded zip) and then select the vst folder and hit the start button.

Then hope for the best, because some vst plugins don't work with Wine.

There is a test (TestVst) that can pre run vst plugins to see if they are probably going to work under Wine.

The above is for the Linux version of Reaper.

Adding Daw search paths in Linux Reaper is just Reaper Preferences->VST Edit Add, which comes up by default with the /home/your-user-name/.vst hidden folder

just change the .vst to .wine and then hit choose directory and you will be in the .wine directory and then you can go to the Program Files Steinberg VSTPlugins directory or whatever.

Running the Windows version of Reaper or another bridge is different but the same
wine path and vst path locations apply.

Last edited by osxmidi; 10-14-2020 at 06:58 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
ikhider

@osxmidi The way I did things before was simply install reaper and vst's on WINE. Sometimes, some of the other audio editing/repair programs would work too. (Lately it is glitchy or crashes.) The plugins do work, however. Dragging the Windows VST's into Linux programs is a bit more complicated.

Another solution is to set up another computer running windows. Mixing Windows and Linux is asking for trouble and if you are trying to get professional-grade work done for audio repair, this might not be a good solution. It is just another complication to bounce between machines and keep round-tripping, but maybe it is better than dancing on thin ice.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
Glennbo

In the year and some change that I've been running REAPER for Linux and a combination of Windows and native Linux plugins, I've not experienced any problems.

My Windows plugins pretty much work like they did in Windows. I haven't run a commercial studio since the late 80s using "This Stuff", but I wouldn't be afraid to use REAPER for Linux with some Windows plugins in a paying gig scenario.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #15
FeedTheCat

Quote:
The quotation marks "" around the path aren't necessary. They just help if you copy paste the path from somewhere else. If you don't add them, tab completion should work just fine. (The escape character \ will be added for spaces and brackets)

Code:
yabridgectl add "$HOME/path with spaces and (brackets)"
yabridgectl add $HOME/path\ with\ spaces\ and\ \(brackets\)
Edit: I just realized Manjaro might not ship with zsh by default which would explain why tab completion doesn't work. You could use the cd command to tab complete to the path and copy that. Or find the path somewhere in your file browser and paste it with quotation marks.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 10-14-2020 at 11:00 PM.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:15 AM   #16
Held

Quote:
Maybe your wine isn't installed at ~/.wine ? Or maybe you need to hit ctrl-h to show hidden files and folders.