Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
unsound
Human being with feelings

Default Please help with computer purchase

Hey Guys I was walking thru sams and came across this
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...746&pCatg=5816

so I thought I would get some input,what do you guys think? seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
dub tree

seems good enough, but hard to say without knowing the actual components used (e.g. brands, mobo)

probably has stock cooling, no info about fans, case, etc.

no available PCI slots? hope you've got an external soundcard.

i personally like to know exactly what is inside my computer, therefore i roll my own pc's (this is often cheaper than buying a premade system)

plus, most of those PCs you buy pre-assembled already come with tons of unneccesary software pre-installed, hogging valuable system resources. definately not a system for a tweaker.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
unsound

Thanks Dub Tree I know that the only pci slot is occupied but I don't really plan on using any pci cards, here are the specs...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3766907

Also I plan on partitioning the drive so I can put Dux's xp pro nlite version on it.......I use it now on a hp laptop.....fast as hell.
Edit: I just noticed that it does not support Win xp so maybe I should look into building one myself.

Last edited by unsound; 09-13-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: because I can...
unsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Bebop52

Good deals on Dells now. Mine works very fast, no messing with components. Very easy to just uninstall unnccessary pre-installed software.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Document02

I'd go for making my own. Usually cheaper, and you will be able to get a tower with quite cooling and sound insulation (like the antec solo), quite fans for the CPU & GPU, know which firewire chipset is onboard etc...

Note that if you buy your computer premade and wish to change components, you'll void the warranty by opening the case. If you still want to go this way, Dell provide good customizable computers, and have very nice screens which respect colors. I would suggest buying the option windows on a CD to start by formatting the computer and installing windows without any other imposed software.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
LCipher

Default cut corners

The major way they cut costs is to use a micro ATX motherboard. This has onboard video, and usually 1 or 2 pci slots.

Onboard video can be turned off, but microATX is usually not what you want if you are going for a high powered smooth running DAW.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
brainwreck

i've not been satisfied with hp due to the bloat and mediocre performance. look for something that comes stripped or roll your own. no matter which way you end up going, stay away from the media center stuff.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
unsound

Thanks guys.........I guess its the 24" widescreen monitor that comes with the hp bundle that has me all googly-eyed. ......
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
thequietroom

Default cyberpowerpc.com

I have purchased 2 from them, 2 ppl at my work have bought one this year and we have all had good experiences. I priced for months and could not find better price/performance/flexibility ratio anywhere. They have some lukewarm reviews on the net but I can speak from my own experience and others I know well.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
thequietroom

I just had a custom build from cyberpowerpc.com and seems to be at least as good pricewise, a couple disadvantages to that one
1 hard drive.. not ideal for DAW, you want to write audio to a non-system drive
Im using BFD drums wich pretty much needs another drive (3 total) so you want headroom for adding drives.. if you use any older usb 1.1 interfaces you will likely want a dedicated USB PCI card and that one looks like there is no spares.. not good.

also that wierd memory config (3 1-gig, 1-2gig) is going to force the memory into single channel mode. I could go on about the motherboard and what not, but I think basically that might be a decent PC, but wont be ideal for a DAW

Cyberpowerpc has some lukewarm reviews but I will say that from 3 purchases, I have had no trouble.

good luck
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote