Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 AM   #1
4johnny
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 tweaks

Hello, can anyone point me to a list of tweaks for win10 to optimize for audio recording? What services I can disable among other things.

Thanks
4johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
LightOfDay
Banned

ctrl - shift - esc and have in the first place a close look to what is running and if it is stoppable without messing up your system stabilty and if its worth the hassle in regards to CPU-usage. there isnt that much and I doubt you will gain anything from "tweaking". except trouble with your machine.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
ivansc

(grin ) if you are online, an awful lot of it will be connected to your browser and your AV!

I really MUST take my studio desktop offline.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
richie43

I will probably get cyber-slammed for this....
I was a huge OS tweaker in the XP days. There were many legitimate modifications a person could make to their DAW system to "optimize" it. I will admit, I did some detailed benchmark testing and can verify (for my work at least) that many worked. BUT...
From Windows 7 onward, in my opinion, there are very few things that need to be done. And like was said in one post already, you are likely to experience drawbacks with tweaks. If you really are determined to do any, I highly encourage you to not only document some settings before you start, but also make a few OS images before. You will want a working and stable system to return to after you make so many so-called optimizations that you can't undo them. I think the trick with modern OS's is that they require at least semi-modern systems and resources to work properly. Windows 10 will operate on modest systems, but maybe not to the level you want with demanding real-time audio. But I don't see that as a draw-back, it just is a result of bigger gear with bigger demands. My i7 4790 is amazingly stable and productive with a stock Windows 10 64bit installation. I even upgraded form 8, didn't do a fresh install.
Good luck and again...MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE YOU START TWEAKING.
I'll try not to do the "I told you so.."...

lol
Old 09-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
kkuehl

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/o...-on-windows-10
kkuehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
From Windows 7 onward, in my opinion, there are very few things that need to be done....I think the trick with modern OS's is that they require at least semi-modern systems and resources to work properly....it just is a result of bigger gear with bigger demands.
a lot of great advice there, richie, but i'd disagree with your first quoted comment above. from 8 onward, there is a TON of stuff that need to be tweaked in my opinion to make windows a DAW-worthy platform - and by that i mean make it look and behave as much like older windows platforms as possible. essentially, much like customizing windows explorer to display "details" view ALWAYS, you have to customize your OS for power users.

i would disable every single stinking metro application/screen you possibly can. this requires some registry tweaks and classicshell. "charms?" fuck it, get it the hell away. all tablet features, windows appstore, etc. gone.

one thing i haven't figured out how to do in windows 10 is to get rid of the new behavior where if you hit windowskey+(arrowbutton) to place a screen justified right/left, windows10 automatically offers minimized versions of all other open windows for you to click on and choose for the other half. it's horrible, we're not dummies, stop trying to be so helpful that you trip powerusers over their own os.

also, IIRC windows 8 is actually less resource hungry than 7, and 10 is ~= to 8 in that regard.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
a lot of great advice there, richie, but i'd disagree with your first quoted comment above. from 8 onward, there is a TON of stuff that need to be tweaked in my opinion to make windows a DAW-worthy platform - and by that i mean make it look and behave as much like older windows platforms as possible. essentially, much like customizing windows explorer to display "details" view ALWAYS, you have to customize your OS for power users.

i would disable every single stinking metro application/screen you possibly can. this requires some registry tweaks and classicshell. "charms?" fuck it, get it the hell away. all tablet features, windows appstore, etc. gone.

one thing i haven't figured out how to do in windows 10 is to get rid of the new behavior where if you hit windowskey+(arrowbutton) to place a screen justified right/left, windows10 automatically offers minimized versions of all other open windows for you to click on and choose for the other half. it's horrible, we're not dummies, stop trying to be so helpful that you trip powerusers over their own os.

also, IIRC windows 8 is actually less resource hungry than 7, and 10 is ~= to 8 in that regard.
You have the freedom to disagree all you want. I can just say that the most stable DAW I have ever had was starting with 8.1 and 10 with Reaper and almost zero tweaks. And I don't want my DAW to look like old Windows. I cringe at the thought at anything XP...yuk. I am fine with change. Yes, Windows 10 looks and behaves differently...I just took a few hours and relearned a few things, no problem. I am an old dog that CAN learn new tricks!

Oh yeah, I still say that if you are going to do registry tweaks, have a plan B ("B" is for Back-up...been there-done that)
Good luck. I have to go and seamlessly work with audio on my unusually stable and rock-solid DAW now...ha ha.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:

well, what you are talking about is not I would call "tweaks". its all in the GUI of Win 10 and done with a right-click and its gone. lasts 30 seconds at most and is no tweak.

disabling services is "tweaking". and these are optimized already. Win 10 is NOT Win XP or worse. its an optimized system to run even on phones. you maybe can imagine that Microsoft put some thoughts into the fact, that is is best to have the less amount of services run as possible.

and thats what I meant witrh ctrl - shift - esc. there you can see that there are near to none services running, that are not neeeded to run a stable system. or they are started and use near to zero resources, but destabilize your system if switched off or have other drawbacks if disabled.

again: this is not XP, and of course not 98, where you could on weaker computers gain something from "tweaking".

but do your thing. "tweak" and have a lokk at what you gained. or if there is even a slight difference in performance.

regarding the look of file-exploring boxes ... you do that under folder / options. that is no tweak, that is user-knowledge.

the most easy way to do these "tweaks" is to use the GODmode.

make a new folder anywhere and call it

"GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (without quotes and absoluteley exactly so). double click it and there you go. "tweaking" til the cows come out. (variation on a ZZ-top cite)

Last edited by LightOfDay; 09-09-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
sickamorz
Banned

Default best windows 10 tweak

Delete windows 10
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
DBMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuehl View Post
Disregard the sermonizing. I've been tweaking every OS since XP and never had an issue. Many of us prefer a minimal system bereft of all the useless crap MS tells us we need (especially true with W10).

The above link from kkuehl is a good place to start. I'd also turn off all the data sharing and telemetry nonsense. A simple web search will lead you to instructions.

Personally, because of the loss of control over Windows Update, in particular with driver updates, I'm not letting W10 anywhere near my DAW. But if you're ok with that, tweak away.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
That's completely cool but none of ^that has a single thing to do with DAW performance. Now if you want to rip out everything you can find because it is a DAW and only a DAW ever, have at it, but you'll be yanking out stuff that makes absolutely zero performance difference as well as making the machine unique enough that any anomalies may be impossible to sort out. That's still OK but some of it, is a nothing more than a mental fix.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Disregard the sermonizing. I've been tweaking every OS since XP and never had an issue.
I doubt most people even care if you tweak it. Some may care if it's presented as the only way to have a performant DAW because that would simply be false. The smartest thing to do, when possible, is to only address the items you can prove are reducing DAW performance. That gives the highest likelihood of total long-term success.

Academically... 90% of all DAW tweaks were born from archaic times where the machines and the technology could barely reach the level of recording and processing a handful of tracks. You'd have to tweak a good bit just to do much of anything with my 733 Mhz processor with 256 MB of RAM using slow ass ATA 133 drives on Windows 98. Machines (and the OS) are so far above that bar now, it's almost silly in comparison and is why a large number of users can simply install the OS on a machine, install Reaper and be mixing 100 tracks with and never break a sweat.

In some cases the tweaks are good on a user by user basis so no one cares if you tweak but the correct information about tweaks and non-tweaks is important. The only other thing I can add is that if I had to tweak my box too much to get it to run a DAW well, I'd be asking myself if my projects are truly complex enough comparatively, if they are, problem solved, if they aren't, I'd be asking myself what else went wrong.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-09-2015 at 07:50 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
(grin ) I really MUST take my studio desktop offline.....
I am doing it again. After all I've seen and read lately about the whole security situation on the net these days -- and in particular all I've learned about Windows 10, including not not limited to their forced 'update' programme -- I'm keeping my audio PCs off-line forever, just as before..

I'm upgrading hardware all this fall; for the computers, it's time for replacement once again. I just bought one to get the process started: it's Windows 7 and no wifi on-board. I expect to do the same with the next one later this fall.

If you'll indulge me this OT moment, let me quote Steve Jobs from the so-called "Lost Interview" done by PBS in 1996, as I think it is every bit as true today and very much pertains to the look, feel and some behaviour of Win 10:

Steve Jobs on Microsoft (PBS 1996, 'the lost interview'):

“The only problem with Microsoft is that they just have no
taste. They have absolutely no taste, and I don’t mean that in
a small way, I mean that in a big way. They don’t think of
original ideas and they don’t bring much culture into their
product.

"You say, why is that important? Proportionally spaced
fonts come from type-setting and beautiful books, that’s
where one gets the idea. If it weren’t for the Mac, they
would never have that in their products.

"So I’m saddened—not by Microsoft’s success, I have no
problem with their success. They’ve earned their success,
for the most part. I have a problem with the fact that
they just make really third-rate products. Their products
have no spirit to them. They have no spirit of enlightenment
about them. They are very pedestrian. And the sad part is
that a lot of customers don’t have a lot of that spirit either.
But the way we’re gonna ratchet up our species is to take
the best and spread it around everybody so that everybody
grows up with better things and starts to understand
the subtlety of these better things. And Microsoft’s
just McDonald’s.”

What do you think of Job's opinion, especially now looking at this new Win 10. Is he right? Does it pertain still?

[edit:]On a Win 7, I can have it 'poweruser' tweaked, rip out telemetry, etc., and super-stable for e.g., REAPER in about 2 hours total. Done it some 4 times before for self and friends.

Last edited by The Telenator; 09-09-2015 at 07:29 PM.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #14
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMusic View Post
Disregard the sermonizing.
lol....that is also sermonizing, so you are suggesting that we disregard the disregarding......This may become some sort of alternate reality or black hole of DAW energy....

(Meant totally in jest....)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
mccrabney

Quote:
That's completely cool but none of ^that has a single thing to do with DAW performance. Now if you want to rip out everything you can find because it is a DAW and only a DAW ever, have at it, but you'll be yanking out stuff that makes absolutely zero performance difference as well as making the machine unique enough that any anomalies may be impossible to sort out. That's still OK but some of it, is a nothing more than a mental fix.
that is objectively accurate in hard terms of measured performance.

but. i would consider mental fixes to be very important to daw performance. these fixes are subjective, but i also think that advanced users would agree on many such fixes. basic non-os specific example - for daw performance, W.E. defaults to details instead of "thumbnail."

as for eliminating wholly dormant services...i do admit that i disabled the print spooler service out of spite.

Quote:
as well as making the machine unique enough that any anomalies may be impossible to sort out.
that is also accurate. and timely - i'm imaging my OS partition tonight.

sadly i work in IT. perhaps i am numbed to the idea of hopelessly unique PCs, having trudged through the gore and viscera of hundreds of such devices...
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:

sadly i work in IT. perhaps i am numbed to the idea of hopelessly unique PCs, having trudged through the gore and viscera of hundreds of such devices...
That made me giggle Slight off topic, I was "Mr. Tweaker" for a long time and it mattered not if the machine needed tweaking, I was as much into it from pure geekiness which had its benefits. I think my first actual "PC" I had for only 36 hours before I had successfully turned it into nothing more than a black screen with a blinking cursor. I had previously been down the whole Atari/Commodore route in the early 80s but I went into playing music and didn't return until 1997.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #17
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
What do you think of Job's opinion, especially now looking at this new Win 10. Is he right? Does it pertain still?

[edit:]On a Win 7, I can have it 'poweruser' tweaked, rip out telemetry, etc., and super-stable for e.g., REAPER in about 2 hours total. Done it some 4 times before for self and friends.
The better question is what do you think Job's opinion would be on an ipad pro that comes with accessorized detachable cover/keyboard and a pen (ahem...pencil)? He was definitely a style maker and I don't think he would have aped MS to that degree.

I like 10 and I find very few problems with it. As far as style goes I think that west coast tech design is all drawing from the same pool of people moving around, working on different products (with the exception of John Ive of course).
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
richie43

I'll keep saying it.....

Make back-ups first.
I never sermonized, either. I merely have related my experiences, which have been great with a stock OS installed on a powerful machine.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Win Conway

Bes tweak for win 10, put it in flight mode until those MS fools change their "we know whats best for you and your computer" ways
Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #20
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
The better question is what do you think Job's opinion would be on an ipad pro that comes with accessorized detachable cover/keyboard and a pen (ahem...pencil)?
He was on record about hating the pen and much of the new rubbish -- a lot of that proposed and discussed when he was still around, just not implemented.

I think Tim Cook and some of his current crew are nothing but a bunch of goofs and posers. Check Cook's ego over on the Charlie Rose interview -- whew, smelly!
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #21
ivansc

Perspective:

I can remember reading (with some amusement) conversations online like this for every new version of Windows since Windows for Workgroups.

And probably IBM (remember them?) PC people who were used to their single sided, single density 5" floppies were horrified by the idea of a DOUBLE sided disk.
"What if I accidentally put it in the wrong way round?"
I also remember the shocked comment from the salesman when I ordered my first 10mb miniature winchester drive. "Why on earth would any one ever need THAT much storage?"
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:06 AM   #22
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:

that is bollocks. to quote Steve Jobs on issues @ Microsoft? ridiculous. and its from 1996. a designer and perfect salesman of white toys with rounded corners that spy on everyone and everything is not the right witness for anything.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 AM   #23
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Perspective:

I also remember the shocked comment from the salesman when I ordered my first 10mb miniature winchester drive. "Why on earth would any one ever need THAT much storage?"
yes, and we were warned about the "extremly dangerous color-TV-radiation" that would wipe out the whole western culture. that was in the early 70s.

ok, they were right in some aspects. color-TVs wiped out some culture.

but, hey, there is always a downside. its darwinistic.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #24
EvilDragon

Quote:
That was 20 years ago, it was sorta valid then, but not for quite some time now.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #25
kulich

Learn something every day

I'm also from the win95/98 tweak everything camp who gradually accepted the defaults because life was too short and things worked pretty much out of the box ... not like win 3.X drivers installs

Win 10 finally installed this weekend in a wtf moment and I find I'll have to find work-arounds for some of my ingrained work-flows, but that's fine.

What I meant about learning was that some tips from above sent me scurrying only to discover the god mode is simply an All Tasks page for the control panel, and ctrl-shift-esc is simply a task manager shortcut, and that both have been in existence from Vista.

My Win 7 recording computer lives far downstairs and has no internet or network connectivity and we're happy that way.

P
kulich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #26
karbomusic

Quote:
What I meant about learning was that some tips from above sent me scurrying only to discover the god mode is simply an All Tasks page for the control panel, and ctrl-shift-esc is simply a task manager shortcut, and that both have been in existence from Vista.
I missed the god mode reference but yep, it is nothing more than a folder shortcut that opens a GUI with pretty much all possible setting and management shortcuts in one place.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #27
Joaquins Void

I've done a tonne of tweaks, but none for performance I think. Priority for background services maybe.
I've:
Installed a theme with visible borders on the windows.

Explorer: removed onedrive, quick access, "user" folders, turned libraries back on. Disabled adaptive folder view.

Turned off all that data sharing stuff.

Uninstalled all those apps that lack uninstallers (xbox etc). You can uninstall them properly from the power shell.

Cleaned up the mess of firewall rules and set it to block outgoing by default.(There are so many allow rules in that firewall by default you have to wonder why they even bother.)

Set the old windows image view as the default. It's still there.

That's just what I can think of, off hand..

All in all I like it though. Windows always has to be beaten into submission so this is business as usual. Win7 was an anomaly in how uncluttered it was.

But as far as performance goes, my CPU meter never goes very high and I have 4ms of latency with the ESI Maya 22 USB. I don't think it's really be relevant for me for a long time.
Joaquins Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #28
richie43

I haven't even changed the processor priority to Background services since Windows 7. I tested it on 8 and 10 and the performance using a very large project with tons of midi and plugins (that I worked on for an entire day for each test) was the same.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #29
msea

I updated from 7, enjoyed the buzz for a day or two, and then realized all my subsequent tweaks were just an effort to get 10 back to what I already had with 7. So I reverted to 7.

Possible to revert but it did a number on my HD partition "restore to factory default." So I ended up reinstalling (clean) from backup DVDs of my default system restore. If I hadn't made those backup DVDs, I'd have been stuck with a version of 7 that I could not make clean instals from. And that would suck because I test out a fair amount of software.

But what really sucks is that MS said I could restore to 7. Well, yes. But not fully.

So my initial distrust of big brother MS proved true to some extent.
msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #30
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by msea View Post
I updated from 7, enjoyed the buzz for a day or two, and then realized all my subsequent tweaks were just an effort to get 10 back to what I already had with 7. So I reverted to 7.

Possible to revert but it did a number on my HD partition "restore to factory default." So I ended up reinstalling (clean) from backup DVDs of my default system restore. If I hadn't made those backup DVDs, I'd have been stuck with a version of 7 that I could not make clean instals from. And that would suck because I test out a fair amount of software.

But what really sucks is that MS said I could restore to 7. Well, yes. But not fully.

So my initial distrust of big brother MS proved true to some extent.
Another great example of "something for everyone". I have enjoyed 10 more than 7 and 8.1 for sure, and have noticed even some performance improvements for audio (in my use). "YMMV".
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #31
msea

Quote:
Another great example of "something for everyone". I have enjoyed 10 more than 7 and 8.1 for sure, and have noticed even some performance improvements for audio (in my use). "YMMV".
That's cool. I may try it again some day. It was mostly the ram. I just couldn't get it down to the win 7 idle usage level.
msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #32
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by msea View Post
That's cool. I may try it again some day. It was mostly the ram. I just couldn't get it down to the win 7 idle usage level.
And maybe you never will, 10 is a bigger OS with more needs....but in my opinion, that is not a good gauge for a modern OS anymore. I don't expect my OS to use the same low resources, I want it to do more with more. I have no issue beefing up the RAM and using a powerful CPU. I feel like there is some threshold that once you go over, then the advantages kick in. All I do know is that I am using Windows 10 on the same machine that I had Windows 7 and then 8.1 on and 10 is out-performing both. But I think the hardware is over this possible threshold I am guessing about....
Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #33
Boydbob

I used to do a lot of tweaking, but not so much anymore.
I did the free upgrade to windows 10 a month ago, and so far I haven't run into any problems.
All my hardware, programs and plugins, are working just fine.

The closest I've gotten to a tweak is customizing the new "Start Menu."
I put all the stuff I actually use on the start menu, and removed all the crap I don't use.
Once I got used to it, I actually liked it.

All that, along with a Logitech keyboard with 5 pads and 10 function keys, all assignable, and life is good in the fast lane.

Be nice to the old guy with all the new toys.
Boydbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:08 AM   #34
kenz

Quote:
And maybe you never will, 10 is a bigger OS with more needs....
Needs you don't need.

Quote:
I don't expect my OS to use the same low resources, I want it to do more with more.
More such as what? Things you most likely don't care about.

If it uses more resources for the same things, it's worse. Imagine if you suddenly needed twice the amount of CPU for same audio buffer processing, because of some "new service" that does nothing but get in your way. "Does more" yeah right.

To be fair, this was just a hypothetical example of why "does more with more" is most of the time invalid for an Operating System. I'm sure Windows 10 actually is more efficient at the audio stack and so on (especially WASAPI), so it actually goes against the "with more" thing.

The rest of the RAM is, plain and simple, extra junk you don't need. But hey, they're probably in partnership with hardware makers and they need to sell that RAM you know.

I don't see why people would advocate not tweaking Windows 10 when it has the potential to be more efficient than 7 overall -- unfortunately also comes with a lot more crap so tweaking is even more of a must.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:33 AM   #35
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4johnny View Post
Hello, can anyone point me to a list of tweaks for win10 to optimize for audio recording? What services I can disable among other things.

Thanks

If you're looking to disable services to run your DAW your probably way under specced as any half-decent computer should run REAPER just fine withount any tweaks on the very latest version of Windows. The footprint of background services is not significant in the way it used to with the exception of some very aggressive anti-virus scanners or malware. YMMV.

Last edited by Sibben; 09-11-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Sibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 AM   #36
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
I don't see why people would advocate not tweaking Windows 10 when it has the potential to be more efficient than 7 overall -- unfortunately also comes with a lot more crap so tweaking is even more of a must.
Do whatever you want, I have just been saying that it is my opinion that this tweaking is unnecessary these days. I don't care if my OS is using extra resources, I have a good system and can run enormous projects with tons of intensely CPU and RAM hungry plugins with almost zero tweaks and have zero problems. I am currently doing a project that is a total of over 100 tracks (busses and actual tracks combined), has well over 100 plugins, some of which are CPU munching Nebula and Acqua plugins (look them up if you are not familiar with them), and my RAM usage is at about 25% (including the OS needs) and CPU hovers around 45%. Why would I ever even consider messing with the OS??
It's like removing parts of a car engine because you are worried about the parts having some nefarious intentions...I understand the actual needs to mess with the OS with XP and a dual-core CPU with 2 GB's RAM. I have embraced the new technology and I get tons more done with nearly zero problems. Tweak away y'all....just MAKE BACK-UPS FIRST (my real message to those who feel the need to tweak their OS). Back to my seamless and tweakless work now...lol

Edit:
Also, what Sibben said^^
Old 09-11-2015, 04:55 AM   #37
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
Needs you don't need.

More such as what? Things you most likely don't care about.

If it uses more resources for the same things, it's worse. Imagine if you suddenly needed twice the amount of CPU for same audio buffer processing, because of some "new service" that does nothing but get in your way. "Does more" yeah right.

To be fair, this was just a hypothetical example of why "does more with more" is most of the time invalid for an Operating System. I'm sure Windows 10 actually is more efficient at the audio stack and so on (especially WASAPI), so it actually goes against the "with more" thing.

The rest of the RAM is, plain and simple, extra junk you don't need. But hey, they're probably in partnership with hardware makers and they need to sell that RAM you know.

I also need to add that my system does do more with more. It does not take twice the resources, that is a huge exaggeration. As I keep saying, I get more done with less hassles with an untweaked OS than I ever did with any other system I have had (and I go back to XP and a very weak system).
Have fun and......

make back-ups.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #38
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
I also need to add that my system does do more with more. It does not take twice the resources, that is a huge exaggeration. As I keep saying, I get more done with less hassles with an untweaked OS than I ever did with any other system I have had (and I go back to XP and a very weak system).
Have fun and......

make back-ups.
exactly that is my experience too. tweaking gains you nothing but the risk of doing something wrong and causing unwanted sideeffects.

and all the folks who know how to do proper operating system without "all the stuff noone needs" should do so, program one and get rich.

I will be the first to buy this operating system.

but if someone in real has not the slightest clue about operating systems he/she/it should simply shut up. its pointless ranting.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #39
kenzo

I've never needed any "tweaks" on Win 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. YMMV.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #40
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
If you're looking to disable services to run your DAW your probably way under specced as any half-decent computer should run REAPER just fine withount any tweaks on the very latest version of Windows. The footprint of background services is not significant in the way it used to with the exception of some very aggressive anti-virus scanners or malware. YMMV.
I dont bother disabling services (uneccessary since win7 IMO) but the audio card manufacturer recommended OS tweaks make a ton of sense to this IT guy. These are REALLY easy and conservative tweaks that have zero chance of making your OS unstable. And if it gives me ANY performance increase its worth the 5 minutes it takes to do.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...-for-daws.html

I stop at disabling the firewall and A/V though. I dont have the luxury of having a dedicated DAW PC. Its also my internet portal.

Now...the bios tweaks (turn off cpu dynamic power and C-states) are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL if you want low latency performance without Snap Crackle and Pop ruining the party. I use S-gear heavily and I need <10ms latency for it to sound good for realtime playing. This just isnt possible without these bios tweaks on my PC.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote