Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default ReaComp .............. It's all in the make-up gain.....

Hey, All:

I have been struggling a lot with trying to get my vocals to sound right.
I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about compression and have seen a lot said about make-up gain.

On a lot of the videos on this topic the people are using other DAWs and the compression plugins they are using has a make-up gain knob.

However, looking at ReaComp, it does NOT have one. I have been very confused about this part because very little is actually talked about it in the videos I have seen, or, it might be that I was just not understanding what they were saying. The point is, I wish ReaComp had a make-up gain knob like so many other compressor plugins. I suppose there might be a reason for this. I've seen the checkbox there the whole time but just never have seen any videos that spend very much time if at all talking about it.

I just so happened to come across one today that touched on it for about 30 seconds .......

I am glad that I finally figured it out because it makes my waveform much more manageable and needs almost no dynamic vocal processing whereas before, my waveforms were all over the place! it also help a bunch with the volume of my vocal track, including the delay and reverb.......

So, just goes to show you (and me) how just one setting, be it a check box or a switch, or whatever can make all the difference in how things can sound on your tracks!!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Coachz

Or you can just forget compression and just ride the faders with volume Automation and also preserve all the beautiful transients at the same time.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bruc...sion-kids.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...kids-quot.html
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
On a lot of the videos on this topic the people are using other DAWs and the compression plugins they are using has a make-up gain knob.

However, looking at ReaComp, it does NOT have one.
hi Steven, actually ReaComp does have an "auto makeup gain", you can find it just below the meters.
It isn't something you can adjust but I find very useful, and how it works will depend on your other adjustments
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
hi Steven, actually ReaComp does have an "auto makeup gain", you can find it just below the meters.
It isn't something you can adjust but I find very useful, and how it works will depend on your other adjustments
Hey, Tod:
I went back and read my original message and I guess I was not entirely clear. What I was trying to say is that I did finally discover this auto make-up gain checkbox just a couple days ago! And, it has simply changed everything about how my vocals sound!
Old 07-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Or you can just forget compression and just ride the faders with volume Automation and also preserve all the beautiful transients at the same time.

Yeah, I agree and something can be said bout that, but that's something that needs to be done on a track by track basis, and back in the old days that's all we had.

Also the many video's about proper recording technics, such as mic placement, vocal training, along with many other things, has improved the understanding of recording today.

Vocals are the most difficult and prominent when you consider the aspect of recording and mixing, and that's where using envelopes can do a lot.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Yeah, I agree and something can be said bout that, but that's something that needs to be done on a track by track basis, and back in the old days that's all we had.

Also the many video's about proper recording technics, such as mic placement, vocal training, along with many other things, has improved the understanding of recording today.

Vocals are the most difficult and prominent when you consider the aspect of recording and mixing, and that's where using envelopes can do a lot.
And you can also eq individual syllables and add fx to very short phrases with automation.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Hey, Tod:
I went back and read my original message and I guess I was not entirely clear. What I was trying to say is that I did finally discover this auto make-up gain checkbox just a couple days ago! And, it has simply changed everything about how my vocals sound!
Good for you Steven, keep in mind too when adjusting a compressor listen for a kind of a pumping
sound, you'll probably want to start backing off at that point.

Quote:
And you can also eq individual syllables and add fx to very short phrases with automation.
Yeah, your right Coachz, there's an envelope for every thing now days. In all honesty I'm pretty
conservative with the envelopes. Even back when I was producing songwriters and stage musicians, I used
them when I had to, sometimes more then I should have. One thing I can say coming from the tape days,
I certainly appreciate what we have now.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
sjs94704

Quote:

So, I just went and read at least most of these threads (at least enough to get the idea). I then pulled up my song "Evergreen" by Barbra Streisand.

My Lead Vocal Started out with:

1. EQ
2: reaComp
3: Waves Tune Real-Time

I just cut the reaComp out of the chain and am getting a good sound. The waveform is not too crazy all over the place

I'm guessing that I should ride the faders only if and when I think I should, right? I pulled up a few videos on 'Riding the Faders', and in the examples they used, it may have been for the sake of providing an example, but, the spots where they were riding the faders there were very obvious volume differences.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
jrengmusic

ReaComp has Wet gain slider to compensate gain reduction post compression, which basically the same as make up gain.

I never use auto make up gain because on many cases it would overcompensate the post reduction gain higher than input signal.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
sjs94704

Since EQ on the vocal is what is left after this discussion, I thought I'd show you what I'm doing with it.

Awhile back I had picked up MTurboReverb from Melda Productions. It is an awesome Reverb. Tod has taught me a lot about how to use it correctly.

They also have an EQ plugin that is FREE with purchase of another plugin called 'MEqualizer'. I use it a lot because I like the interface. It is easy to understand (at least for me)

The point in sharing this with you is... here is the PRESET EQ for the vocal ...

However, after watching yet another video, one guy EQed his Lead Vocal this way and when I tried it, it sounds a bit brighter...

Yes, yes..... I know..... there is no one way to do this, I just thought I'd share this.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:27 AM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
So, I just went and read at least most of these threads (at least enough to get the idea). I then pulled up my song "Evergreen" by Barbra Streisand.

My Lead Vocal Started out with:

1. EQ
2: reaComp
3: Waves Tune Real-Time

I just cut the reaComp out of the chain and am getting a good sound. The waveform is not too crazy all over the place

I'm guessing that I should ride the faders only if and when I think I should, right? I pulled up a few videos on 'Riding the Faders', and in the examples they used, it may have been for the sake of providing an example, but, the spots where they were riding the faders there were very obvious volume differences.
The way I do it as I get all of the other parts of the song working including Rhythm Section solos and miscellaneous percussion sounds. Everything except background harmonies and lead vocals. Then I put the fader in latch mode for the vocal and ride it until it is exactly sitting just above the mix slightly and then I do the same thing for the background vocals putting them wherever they need to sound right.

This way your vocal sits just on top of the mix slightly and it's always peeking out without ever being too loud. In latch mode I can set it up over certain sections and just keep looping over until I get it exactly how I want it and then move on to the next section and loop over that if needed.

Usually I do a first run-through with no loops and latch mode. Then for small tweaks I switch to touch mode because then after I let go of the fader it goes right back to where it was. I also have a toolbar on the left side right next to the tracks that have buttons for all the modes and more so that all I have to do is Select my track and select the button for the mode and I'm good to go and then when I'm done I select the button for read mode and I'm back and everything doing it's magic.

I also have my keyboard shortcut letter R set to the reaper action to reduce the number of points in an envelope and as I go through Section by section I will highlight all of the envelope points and keep pressing R to get just the points I need. Reaper writes a ton of envelope points and it's just way too many for me. I wish there was a setting to cause Reaper to write many fewer points during automation

Use your ears and mix at the volume you think others will be listening to your mix at and you'll get it right every time.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
sjs94704

I just went and played back a practice run through on of my songs and it sounds like I will need to ride the faders on the music itself vs. the vocal.

I say this because I have it set so that the music sits at about -18 at the loudest parts of the song. So, that means that I'll have to bring up the volume of the softer parts of the song.

I guess that now that I am paying attention to that I can hear it more.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #13
Coachz

Quote:
I just went and played back a practice run through on of my songs and it sounds like I will need to ride the faders on the music itself vs. the vocal.

I say this because I have it set so that the music sits at about -18 at the loudest parts of the song. So, that means that I'll have to bring up the volume of the softer parts of the song.

I don't worry about the DB levels on the individual tracks but instead just get the mix sounding the way I want and then on the master effects I adjust the gain up or down to get that lufs level that I want. the tracks themselves are not going to clip and have plenty of hheadroom so all I worry about is setting my output limiter to -0.2 DB and adjusting the master effects gain as needed
Old 07-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
Lokasenna

Unless it was fixed at some point, isn't the Auto Makeup Gain option broken? Pretty sure it just adds the opposite of your Threshold regardless of how much gain reduction is actually going on.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #15
serr

"It's all in the make-up gain....."

Hmmm...
Since louder always sounds better to the ear... do make sure that the actual compressor leveling is actually doing what you want and you're not just hearing the whole thing louder and getting fooled by that. Just sayin'

You can put the output level of your compressor to match the the input level except for the peaks you're leveling.
The workflow for that is hearing proper level most of the time except for when the too loud peaks poke out. This actually makes it straight forward with how the compressor works.

Most people do it the other way around though...
You liked the loud bits and wanted the rest of the track to match. So you first set the compressor to knock down the peaks (that you liked). Then make-up gain to turn the whole thing (now leveled) up to the level that just the peaks were originally.

Just be careful that you aren't fooling yourself with a volume boost. You can get into smashing things too hard with a compressor but be none the wiser with a volume boost sometimes.

If you start doing it the first way - turn the level up until the quieter parts sit right and thus with the peaks poking out too loud - it's more straightforward to set that compressor to knock down those peaks to taste.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #16
Tod

Quote:
I just cut the reaComp out of the chain and am getting a good sound. The waveform is not too crazy all over the place.
Hi Steven, first let me say that compression will not hurt you vocal or make it sound crazy if it's setup right. Below is a picture of ReeaComp. Notice the settings on it:

Attack: around 3ms
Release: 100 to 150 (this is just a round about figure)
Ratio: set it at 4 for now.
Threshold: When set to 0.0dB, the compressor does nothing, it just passes the signal unaltered.

So load ReaComp back in your vocal track and put it after the EQ as you had it. Then set it up as shown in
the picture and remember to check "Auto make-up".

Now solo your vocal, hit play and slowly start bringing the threshold down as you listen. The first thing
you should hear is the softer parts of you vocals coming up and smoothing out the vocal. Then as you continue
lowering the threshold, it will appear to get louder and eventually you should hear kind of a pumping sound
which means you've gone too far.

So bring the threshold up again to 0.0dB and as you play the vocal, adjust the threshold down to where it sounds good to you.

Quote:

I don't have time right now Steven, but as soon as I can, I will show you how to adjust the backing instruments
through out the song using a VCA.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #17
sjs94704

Hey, All:

I Appreciate so much everyone's effort and willingness to help out I just wish I was close by one of you to sit down with me for a minute.

Anyway, today (7-8-2019) I will be spending lots of time dealing with caring for my dog. She is very sick and I'm taking her to the vet ($700 !!), so, please keep good thoughts for us both.

But, I will be back at it later today unless something major happens today........
Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #18
Greg Savage

Quote:
Hey, All:

I Appreciate so much everyone's effort and willingness to help out I just wish I was close by one of you to sit down with me for a minute.

Anyway, today (7-8-2019) I will be spending lots of time dealing with caring for my dog. She is very sick and I'm taking her to the vet ($700 !!), so, please keep good thoughts for us both.

But, I will be back at it later today unless something major happens today........
Sorry to hear/read that. Hoping for the best.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
1111Eugene

PLEASE STOP WATCHING YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON MIXING
there is no useful videos on this topic, not a single one.
all you need to know is just basics. It is what nobody said a single word on youtube about. This is all you need. Basic psychoacoustics and basic daw\vst workflow. the end. I advice you to forget all you have seen on youtube about mixing. It would be much easier and healthier. Because most of the people drag this "knowledge" (smth VERY useless and VERY confusing) for many years... All you see on youtube in 99% is just a software\harware advertisement.
but
I know only one person, who's worth listening to. Bobby Owsinski. He is the one and only in my list of english-speaking people who say smth useful and smth that make sense in mixing and around.
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Unless it was fixed at some point, isn't the Auto Makeup Gain option broken? Pretty sure it just adds the opposite of your Threshold regardless of how much gain reduction is actually going on.
Hi Loka, I didn't realize the auto makeup was messed up, I know the "Knee" don't work right.

The auto makeup is really pretty important.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
Lokasenna

Quote:
Hi Loka, I didn't realize the auto makeup was messed up, I know the "Knee" don't work right.

The auto makeup is really pretty important.
I don't see anything in the changelog about it, but unfortunately I'm not on my Reaper machine right now to check.

The issue was that if your signal is (for example) down around -10db, you have to put the threshold down that far before the compressor will do anything. With the makeup gain just mirroring the threshold that means the signal is boosted by 10db for no reason.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #22
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
I don't see anything in the changelog about it, but unfortunately I'm not on my Reaper machine right now to check.

The issue was that if your signal is (for example) down around -10db, you have to put the threshold down that far before the compressor will do anything. With the makeup gain just mirroring the threshold that means the signal is boosted by 10db for no reason.
Thanks Loka, I've been using Reacomp for a long time and didn't notice any problems, but I wasn't looking for any. I've got plenty of compressors, most of them paid for.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #23
Lokasenna

Small clarification: It's apparently trying to guess based on both your threshold and the ratio. i.e.

Input @ -12db (I'm using a noise generator here)
ReaComp @ 3:1, auto makeup gain On

As the threshold comes down, the signal goes up. With the compressor just kissing the signal - showing ~0.1 of GR - the output is at -6.6db. Lowering the ratio backs off the makeup gain.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
JayJSE2

Someone else might have said this already and I just didn't notice, but you don't *have* to use the auto-makeup gain. All you need to do it take note of the max amount of gain reduction and use the "wet" slider to "make up" that amount of reduction. That might give you more accurate results.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
sjs94704

Quote:
This is the reaComp settings for the vocal as Tod provided.

I am just beginning to get introduced to compressors and how they work, so, instead of giving me the answer outright, can someone offer ideas of how I might take this same compressor, put it on the instrument BUSS and figure out how to determine what settings of the compressor I should begin changing if at all to begin to the best sound from the instruments BUSS track?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #26
Greg Savage

Are you working with instrument track outs or pre-mixed bounced files (2-tracks)?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #27
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
Are you working with instrument track outs or pre-mixed bounced files (2-tracks)?
Great Question. Here is the answer I am able to give.
I am a singer. I belong to a website that offers what to me is very realistic sounding karaoke music divided up by instrument. Some songs have 3 instruments, others have 12 and I route them all to a BUSS called

Here is a typical setup:
BTW, I have since removed all those VSTs off of the MASTER track.

You will see on the far right is each instrument routed to the INSTRUMENT track. I hope the rest is self explanitory
Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #28
Greg Savage

Gotcha.

The basics controls you'll want to adjust are

Threshold: Tells the compressor when to kick in

Attack: Tells compressor how fast to kick in

Release: When to stop compression

Ratio: How much to compress

I'd start with a low ratio 2 to 1, medium attack and longish release, then start bringing in the threshold.

Might be wise separate each instrument in 'like' groups and dedicate a bus to those instruments so each group can get their own compression for gluing before hitting the instrument bus and then very very light compression if any on the instrument buss.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #29
frood

the section in the yep thread ("why do your recordings sound like ass?") about compression is really insightful.

this bit was particularly helpful for me:

"He uses the ARRT acronym for this, first you crack attack, then Release,
then Ratio, and then Threshold.
First you set ratio to the maximum value, put release to the lowest/fastest setting, and
lower the threshold so that the entire signal is compressed. Ignore the horrible pumping
you hear, but focus only on the ‚beginning' of the sound i.e. You focus on the attack button
only. With this button you can create e.g. the thickness (or thinness) of a sound. If
the material is e.g. a snaredrum you can almost ‚tune' the size of the stick the drummer
is using. The attack affects the size of the hit.
Once you are happy with that, leave attack alone and adjust release. Release essentially
controls the groove, the volume envelope over time. Try to set it as slow as possible
while still hearing a nice groove.
Then leave attack and release alone and adjust the ratio (which was at its max). You can
think of the ratio as a sort of lens. High ratios the sound will be firm, but small. Lower
ratios the sound will be bigger but softer (also less controlled). Lower the ratio until you
loose your above created groove, then increase it again to get the groove back.
Then adjust the threshold so that some sound still gets uncompressed so that the compressor
comes to rest ‚in special moments' as stav puts it.
I hope this helps some people, and the above is not at all my invention. I just wanted to
post this as i believe it is in the same vein as Yep's other comments in this thread AND it
surely helped me to finally understand how a compressor works."
frood is offline   Reply With Quote