Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 02-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #41
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Man if I could make an action to send a CC
Easy!

Push a preset to an appropriate JSFX to move it's slider(s) and the JSFX will send the CC value you set the slider(s) to at that moment.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #42
pipelineaudio
Mortal

This is exactly the type of situation where I want direct entry of the learnable assignments. Piz MIDI can send me another set of those CC messages, I just cant tell SWS to accept them as it will learn the first message it gets, if I could tell it to use the other one, I'd be set
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #43
mschnell

Quote:
I can find actions to load next and previous preset, but not directly load a preset number. I think I would like to have a mixer before the master and be able to select presets in it
As said in the message above, just "apply" sets the same value as had been used to fire the action.

So the pages will run in parallel.

-Michael
Old 02-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #44
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Easy!

Push a preset to an appropriate JSFX to move it's slider(s) and the JSFX will send the CC value you set the slider(s) to at that moment.

-Michael
Which JS can do this?
Old 02-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #45
mschnell

Quote:
Ahhh bummer this is exactly what I was going to try and do for the mixer, lemme see if I can't get one of those piz plugins to do it
I did not understand the "mixer" stuff. For additional parallel LiveConfigs pages it's not necessary, since I found that it works with the "LiveConfigs #x apply" action.

-Michael
Old 02-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #46
mschnell

Quote:
Which JS can do this?
I did a "SliderToMidiPS" JSFX. (It is installable and documented by ReaPack) It could easily be modified to send CC instead of PS. What exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

-Michael
Old 02-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #47
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I tried switching the mixer with a parallel config in live configs using one of the piz tools to send the same cc's on another channel, but there's a long mute while switching JS mixer presets, so I'm trying to figure a way to switch the mixer presets directly
Old 02-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #48
mschnell

Quote:
there's a long mute while switching JS mixer presets
What is JS Mixer ?
It would be good to find out what exactly causes the mute to be able to decently avoid that.

-Michael
Old 02-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #49
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I was testing using JS: 8x Mono to 1x Stereo Mixer

I know in your guide you said not to use both enable and control for the midi input, but it seems like I lose a lot of functions if I don't have them both on

I was able to use a piz plugin to change programs on the mixer and it works fine, but you are right, figuring out why SWS Live Configs mutes it would be way better. It seems like it mutes and unmutes if you put anything in the "Fx Presets" row
Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #50
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I did a "SliderToMidiPS" JSFX. (It is installable and documented by ReaPack) It could easily be modified to send CC instead of PS. What exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

-Michael
I want to send an action to send a CC value, say to turn the wet dry all the way to zero when I change channels
Old 02-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #51
pipelineaudio
Mortal

is there a way to activate more than one action per slot, or do I need to make macros to combine them?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #52
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm not finding a good way to toggle fx on and off here. Trying to think if I could just set up a pedalboard full of patches and not worry about turning fx on and off
Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #53
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I guess let me layout how I'd ultimately like to see this pedalboard and maybe you can make sense of it

pedal 1: Clean and dry

pedal 2: Distorted and dry

pedal 3: More distorted and dry

pedal 4: switch on/off chorus delay reverb

pedal 5: switch on/off C Major Harmonizer (with the ability to go thru pedal 4's fx)

pedal 6: Clean (can be pedal 1's instance) + delay plus chorus plus reverb (can be the fx from pedal 4)

pedal 7: More distorted (can be pedal 3's instance) + delay plus chorus plus reverb (can be the fx from pedal 4)

pedal 8: switch on/off E Major Harmonizer (with the ability to go thru pedal 4's fx)

pedal 9: tuner pops up in the window and mutes the audio. This tuner window goes away when any other pedal is picked

To complicate this, I would like a wah that can be toggled on and off with pedal ten (or better yet auto engaged) The wah should turn off if pedal 1, 2, 3 or 7 is picked (though it can be toggled on and off by switch 10 if chosen)
Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 AM   #54
mschnell

Quote:
I was testing using JS: 8x Mono to 1x Stereo Mixer
Is this in some ReaPack repository ?
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-04-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #55
mschnell

Quote:
I know in your guide you said not to use both enable and control for the midi input, but it seems like I lose a lot of functions if I don't have them both on
Seemingly you (and most) don't decently understand what the "control" checkbox in the Midi device setup means.

In fact "enable" means that the Midi input data stream provided by this device can be routed to tracks to be used as their Midi input. "control" means that the Midi input data stream provided by this device is routed to the "Reaper Control Path", and with that can be seen by Reaper itself (e.g. for learning Actions or LiveConmfigs or VST automation parameters to such messages.)

But in a more complex setup, you will want to review the Midi data stream you get from the controller that e.g. is supposed to switch sounds/patches, by your own functionality (i.e. JSFX scripts). Here additionally sending unfiltered Midi messages directly to the Reaper Control Parh could create a major hassle.

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 AM   #56
mschnell

Quote:
It seems like it mutes and unmutes if you put anything in the "Fx Presets" row
Nope. I did not finally check this out, but it mutes all those tacks that are configured on a page but the one in the row just activated, when the option "mute all but active track" is activated for this page.

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #57
mschnell

Quote:
I want to send an action to send a CC value, say to turn the wet dry all the way to zero when I change channels
Should I modify the plugin for you by having it feature two sliders "CC #" and CC value ?

If you (via LiveConfigs) push a preset (containing those two setting) onto it, it will send out an appropriate midi message if the slider settings are different from those you set before.

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #58
mschnell

Quote:
is there a way to activate more than one action per slot, or do I need to make macros to combine them?
AFAIU, you need to do a Macro for this.
-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:16 AM   #59
mschnell

Quote:
I'm not finding a good way to toggle fx on and off here. Trying to think if I could just set up a pedalboard full of patches and not worry about turning fx on and off
Do you want to create the toggle functionality to do you want to control a toggle functionality provided by a VST ?

For latter I don't see any decent way to do this unless the VST provides a means to set one of the states directly.

Regarding the first. I did recommend multiple times (for complex setups) not to use the "control" checked in the midi device for directly routing the messages to Live Configs, but to route them to a track and there use MidiToReaControlPath to access LiveConfigs.

This done, it's easy to do a JSFX that manages the toggle feature.

As your list of desired functionality includes losts of toggles:

It of course would be by far better if the pedalboard itself manages the toggling and just sends "on" and "off" messages, while showing the current state by an LED indicator (or whatever). But if it cant do that, you need to use a JSFX for this (and have the Padalboard send whatever it likes to).

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:16 AM   #60
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Nope. I did not finally check this out, but it mutes all those tacks that are configured on a page but the one in the row just activated, when the option "mute all but active track" is activated for this page.

-Michael
It definitely is muting the receives momentarily on "FX Preset" change here. If you open the i/o you can see the "M" on the recieves turn red then back
Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 AM   #61
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Do you want to create the toggle functionality to do you want to control a toggle functionality provided by a VST ?

For latter I don't see any decent way to do this unless the VST provides a means to set one of the states directly.

Regarding the first. I did recommend multiple times (for complex setups) not to use the "control" checked in the midi device for directly routing the messages to Live Configs, but to route them to a track and there use MidiToReaControlPath to access LiveConfigs.

This done, it's easy to do a JSFX that manages the toggle feature.

-Michael
I don't want to toggle, since that can create situations where it could flip the state and you'd end up with an unwanted effect on. I want to send an all the way off message, in this case I think i have narrowed it down to just the wah, upon switching tracks
Old 02-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #62
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Should I modify the plugin for you by having it feature two sliders "CC #" and CC value ?

If you (via LiveConfigs) push a preset (containing those two setting) onto it, it will send out an appropriate midi message if the slider settings are different from those you set before.

-Michael
I'm not sure what I want this to do will do it through JS, it would have to happen just as a preset was loading up....if that could then, yeah, that would be awesome, but it has to happen only once per channel change
Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #63
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I got the board to work wirelessly somewhat, but my quest to make it battery powered seems to have failed. I may have completely blown the power supply, I won't know till tomorrow when i can get some more fuses

On the plus side, I was able to get IK's Blueboard to work in windows!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:26 AM   #64
mschnell

Quote:
It definitely is muting the receives momentarily on "FX Preset" change here. If you open the i/o you can see the "M" on the recieves turn red then back
If it mutes the track for a dedicates amount of time, I suppose same is configurable. (Up till now I always used the "mute all" feature, So I did not see that behavior.)

I need to check this out when I revise the Guide (which to certainly will do based on this thread).

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 AM   #65
mschnell

Quote:
I don't want to toggle ...
So "clean/dry does not mean "clean vs dry" but "clean and dry"

I see.

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #66
mschnell

Quote:
it has to happen only once per channel change
What do you mean by "channel change" (we did not use the term "channel" up till now, here) ?

As said, the plugin will send out a message exactly when you modify one of it's two sliders. That would happen exactly when you switch to a LiveConfigs Line that is configured to put a preset on same (and this is not the same preset as currently active).

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 01:38 AM   #67
mschnell

Quote:
I was able to get IK's Blueboard to work in windows!
Great !

How did you do that ? Does it send Midi messages to Reaper ?

I in fact am searching for a way to do a wireless connection for my TEC BBCv2. Same sends midi CCs via USB and I'd like to have a small battery powered device that is connected to the TEC via the standard USB plug and connects to the PC via Bloototh (LE).

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 02:08 AM   #68
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
So "clean/dry does not mean "clean vs dry" but "clean and dry"

I see.

-Michael
No, "toggle" means switch state

"off" is off

"on" is on

off "toggled" is on

If I have the wah off and then the next channel switch is set to toggle it, it'll be on, when I dont want it on, so in some cases toggle is fine, in other cases, I have to insist to send an off
Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 AM   #69
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
What do you mean by "channel change" (we did not use the term "channel" up till now, here) ?

As said, the plugin will send out a message exactly when you modify one of it's two sliders. That would happen exactly when you switch to a LiveConfigs Line that is configured to put a preset on same (and this is not the same preset as currently active).

-Michael
I wouldn't want to put anything in the FX preset slot because it causes those temporary mutes
Old 02-04-2018, 02:11 AM   #70
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Great !

How did you do that ? Does it send Midi messages to Reaper ?

I in fact am searching for a way to do a wireless connection for my TEC BBCv2. Same sends midi CCs via USB and I'd like to have a small battery powered device that is connected to the TEC via the standard USB plug and connects to the PC via Bloototh (LE).

-Michael
The Pluggable Bluetooth LE dongle picks it up, then MIDIBerry converts it to something that loopMIDI can use, which then REAPER can see....hopefully we'll get the native support to avoid those two, but its working

Also, I was able to fire up my 1010 on 9v power supply, but I still can't get the JOYO battery to power it, the battery power part of this equation may not be so feasible
Old 02-04-2018, 02:48 AM   #71
mschnell

Quote:
because it causes those temporary mutes
... Which we should try to get rid of (if not desired) frim ground up !

(I only like workarounds if it's proven that the straight path is blocked.)

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 02:52 AM   #72
mschnell

Quote:
The Pluggable Bluetooth LE dongle picks it up, then MIDIBerry converts it to something that loopMIDI can use, which then REAPER can see...
Great ! Thanks ! I'll take a look.

Do you think the Bloototh dongle can be avoided in case the PC has Bluetooth LE on board ?

Unfortunately I am on Win 7 and MidiBerry does not seem to support same .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-04-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:26 AM   #73
mschnell

Quote:
I'm not sure what I want this to do will do it through JS,
Seemingly you also/better can use a ReaScript like suggested by mpl in the other thread and trigger same by the Action fired by LiveConfigs.

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #74
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Great ! Thanks ! I'll take a look.

Do you think the Bloototh dongle can be avoided in case the PC has Bluetooth LE on board ?

Unfortunately I am on Win 7 and MidiBerry does not seem to support same .

-Michael
Allegedly it’s better with the onboard one because there aren’t two drivers fighting for the same thing. Hopefully Justin will add the native support, that midiberry thing is sketchy. I’m not worried about loopmidi so much, that guys stuff is always solid for me, but being able to just grab the Bluetooth in in reaper like you can in sonar would be ideal for me
Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #75
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Its a related tangent but I really can't figure out why my Joyo Battery is not working for this when a 9v regular battery does fine. Not sure if I got a bad one or whatever.

If I plug the charger into it, it'll start the pedalboard up, and I can disconnect the charger, but after some button presses, it turns back off.

I wired it up they way they did here:

http://www.eurekasound.com/fcb1010-dc-mod

And I was following along on how they did this page, and that didnt work with the Joyo either. Both his original way and his newer version

https://community.cantabilesoftware....gle-cable/1819

Is there something I can check if I take apart the Joyo?

Or if there is another rechargable battery supply I can try, I'd be happy to, the Eureka site says any adapter from 5v to 9v. I tried a 5v power brick with no luck, I'm thinking there may be a cap it should really fill first or something, or can I wire a cap in here to help with this?
Old 02-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #76
mschnell

Quote:
Hopefully Justin will add the native support,
I hope for the contrary. A DAW is all about audio and Midi, but not about Bluetooth (or USB or Ethernet or whatever audio or Midi streams might be pushed through).

Somebody (maybe even Cockos) should provide a diver that provides a Midi device, Reaper can connect to, similar as all those hardware drivers (e.g. for combined audio and Midi I/O boxes).

-Michael
Old 02-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #77
mschnell

Quote:
I'm not finding a good way to toggle fx on and off here.
While I am more a friend of straight forward solutions (here: using JSFX and ReaTioMidiControlPath), in you special case you also could do this (provided a ReaScript can store a state variable between two calls to it):

- have the pedalboard send out a different CC # for the toggle switch
- do a ReaScript that sends out the CC # you learnd to LiveConfigs and alternately sends two different CC values (resulting in activating different LiveConfig Lines in that page.
- learn the "different CC #" to an action and assign the ReaScript to same.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-04-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #78
pipelineaudio
Mortal

dagnabbit, I really got stuck on the battery power for this damn thing, I'm going to give up on that for now and get back to setting up Live Configs, I think I'm pretty much there now
Old 02-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #79
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thanks again for all this, I'm setting up two templates now for the BIAS forum
Old 02-04-2018, 11:28 PM   #80
mschnell

Quote:
I'm setting up two templates now for the BIAS forum