Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #161
Jorgen
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
maybe the drums n bass in places? -an early snare feel at times? What's Andy doing? Maybe a rock or church organ used sparingly amongst the gtrs would be good? Decisions ,decisions... life is a series of decisions.
Yes, yes and yes. A bass player has been offered the job, see what he says... church organ is massive! Too little of it these days.

Then again, with fresh drums and bass, you'd want to redo stuff, I know I would... change the bass-line, and the groove is out of whack... you have to change everything else, too... I wouldn't mind, I can go on forever...

Andy, what's up? You can pm me... good guys said no to participating along the way, which is perfectly alright with me... there will be other occasions, I'm sure. If this doesn't fit your schedule, or your sentiment for the moment or anything, no hard feelings.

About the Tull thing... I'd prefer to think about it as a classic electric band, singing and playing. Bass, drums, two keys(?), electric git, acoustic git. With vocals and everything else done by the players. I'd love to do some clever hand-clapping... and voice effects, like say a few words together, shout a statement, with the instruments at full stop, bam, maybe just a bar... at other times, a classic choir... music entertainment, no less. Fun to listen to.

Well, just brainstorming... everything is possible.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #162
Jorgen

Cheers morgon, you take a break. I love the vocals overall, especially in the last round, it's just beautiful... The guitar is a masterpiece... what's to do really? You have done a lot of work on this. I added some vocals and moog sounds/fx/pads - high in the mix for show... also a fake rhythm git, only hitting damped strings... some church organ at the end: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ma3p5xj787...Kopia.mp3?dl=0

Too much?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #163
morgon

Hey Jorgen, that sounds great, you really round it out wonderfully there. Not too much at all, its really sounding like a record now. Ima fix my tracks on it today with plenty of enthusiasm.
If not too difficult I would add a snare roll at beat 4 leading into the gtr solo, but its not essential. The playing and sound accompanying the gtr and synth solos work great too, cheers! Well done.

Last edited by morgon; 10-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #164
Jorgen

Good! I see what I can do about that roll, at least a fill...

I listen to the track on repeat till I nod off, and then that snare intro suddenly startles me, wakes me up... took it from Light My Fire, no less... my favorite drum-intro. I'm sure nobody noticed. Your guitar makes that bass come alive and swing, it's the coolest thing...
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #165
morgon

There is already the synth gtr shuffle riff right before the gtr solo so I don't know how necessary for any extra snare, either way the song sounds really good.
I wont change my gtr much, theres a bit where the fx tail blurrs the following notes, and I will reimport the gtr solo dry then add the fx so it will remain much the same only clearer and a touch less verb. The harmonies I'll alter the 1st 4 bars of the 1st one and maybe the 2nd 4 bars of it a bit as well. Then theres just a couple of touch up jobs on the later ones, a word or two, and a fraction more, just a couple of seconds, to add. Really minor alterations, should all be done by today for sure.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #166
brockorama

Interesting. Is that Trilogy Bass?
brockorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #167
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I think Jorgens using the Bass included in the free version of Kontakt [Classic Bass?] He'll prolly be along soon to confirm that or not.

Last edited by morgon; 10-16-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #168
Jorgen

Quote:
Good morning, gentlemen. Brockorama, morgon is right. It's the "Classic Electric" from Kontakt free... as is the drums /Funk kit and the electric piano. I also use Minimogue and Alpha free something... the Alpha synth had lots of presets that suited the music perfectly, imo.

My pal uses Trilogy. It's a beast, right? I limit myself these days, got an aging comp. I find I put together a basic arrangement much faster when I already "committed" to the sounds/patches etc etc... Bass, drums and keys are always Kontakt free (with additional keys as listed above) and they simply sound good together without much or any tweaking at all. Probably intended by NI, big thanks, guys.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #169
Jorgen

Cheers morgon, about that roll, I could do it if I still had ez-drummer, it could produce a decent roll, but I always hated the sound and got rid of it... I don't think kontakt can handle it, maybe you got something, or the writing chops to make a roll? Some multisampled thing is a must, right?

Andy, still with us?
Old 10-17-2014, 02:31 AM   #170
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
Cheers morgon, about that roll, I could do it if I still had ez-drummer, it could produce a decent roll, but I always hated the sound and got rid of it... I don't think kontakt can handle it, maybe you got something, or the writing chops to make a roll? Some multisampled thing is a must, right?

Andy, still with us?
The snare roll is really unnecessary now imo since you've added those extra tracks, was only a 4 an-a kind of thing anyway. Ive done the alterations I talked about, just leaving it til tomorrow for a last proof-read.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #171
Jorgen

Alright... I re-recorded my back-up vocals, sharpened them up a bit. Made a new mix, with the pads a bit lower... sounds absolutely fab.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #172
morgon

Cool. Yeah I also use that kontakt bass/funk drmkit/keys setup on a lot of projects now for the same reasons you mentioned, good sound, low maintenance. Surprisingly easy on cpu as well.

Speaking of snare rolls, did you notice theres an octave of keyboard for kontakt drums thats all snare rolls? I haven't used it yet but I intend to. Im not hinting about this song, its coincidence. Moving the mouse cursor over the keys makes some good snare combos if and when you need em.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #173
Jorgen

I've noticed the loops... there are rolls, too? I must check it out... I see if I can get something progish going... I have a 5/4 thing from way back, I'll see if I remember it... it's called Taco Hei, and the "words" are all made up... dadaist thing...
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #174
Jorgen

Or I have this old gothic song, big as a house... I'd love to do that one properly, maybe in some kind of smashing pumpkins-style... they could prog alright...
Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #175
brockorama

Quote:
Good morning, gentlemen. Brockorama, morgon is right. It's the "Classic Electric" from Kontakt free...
Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #176
Garrick

Brokorama, I seen that name on the gs songwriting forum. If you're the same guy I like your posts.

If not, kiss my ass
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #177
morgon

Was trying to redo over some harmonies today but the old mate over the back fence was making too much a racket with a weed whacker and mower, so I had a few drinks while I waited...and was blottoed by the time he'd finished lol
Old 10-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #178
morgon

For the less politically correct version of this ^^^ story just leave out the old guy, weed whacker and mower.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #179
Jorgen

You deserve your drink, old guy or not! I've stuck a few drops of whiskey away for tonight, can't wait...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 AM   #180
morgon

Im on it, the last bit always takes me longer.

I changed the first voc harmony bit into a rhythm figure [more staccato] Theres one bar im trying to make cool ie the lead in to the gtr solo, but not there yet, soon though.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #181
morgon

Still trying angles on the 1st harmony part, at the least it prolly needs editing out a bit or maybe punting.

https://app.box.com/s/quffaedq8wwky6qkk8eo

Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #182
Jorgen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvvvrmnqbi...Kopia.wav?dl=0

There's this, too. Sounds rather beautiful. I suppose the flute plays the melody? We cold do something with it. What part do you want me to play in a "prog" projet? Words and melody seems to be my thing. A bit of programming and counterpoint, too.

edit: and there is more: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvvvrmnqbi...Kopia.wav?dl=0

Last edited by Jorgen; 10-21-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #183
morgon

Quote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvvvrmnqbi...Kopia.wav?dl=0

There's this, too. Sounds rather beautiful. I suppose the flute plays the melody? We cold do something with it. What part do you want me to play in a "prog" projet? Words and melody seems to be my thing. A bit of programming and counterpoint, too.

edit: and there is more: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvvvrmnqbi...Kopia.wav?dl=0
The same file twice, did you mean to post another one? Anyways, that can be used as an intro or bridge or maybe ending anywhere it suggests itself, or not, its a building block looking for a home.

Quote:
What part do you want me to play in a "prog" projet?
The kind of thing youre doing now is fine, what about that Gothic piece you mentioned and Taco Hei?

As for that voc harmony part in closing time, if any of its kept it should just be back in the mix prolly, maybe panned all over the place, with some other voice or inst as the focus. Its kinda over-busy, its a very 4/4 song though so the idea of 16th notes for tempo/rhythm change is ok, I really don't mind what stays or goes at the finishing stage with it, I'll fix it a bit and then leave it to the final edit/mix/master decisions.

Last edited by morgon; 10-21-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #184
Jorgen

I'll find us something really good. Something with dynamics. Like baroque and grunge. Give them progers a match.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #185
morgon

Go for it, Im in, its been worth the effort and I want to continue with these online collabs. Im geographically all over the place atm so theres a few days here and there Im not around much but its always good to get back, online collabs are great for focus it seems. Cheers
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #186
Jorgen

Didn't I comment on this one? I' m sorry. Well, I think a bit much of fx... but the right kind, something like that... now I got used to them and like them just as they are... but they are far away... btw they could have first chair in the intermezzo, with the whimsy midi from moog, piano and elgit in the background... if they, the choir, lose some of the reverb... just a thought.

Where is our mixerman?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #187
morgon

Quote:
Didn't I comment on this one? I' m sorry. Well, I think a bit much of fx... but the right kind, something like that... now I got used to them and like them just as they are... but they are far away... btw they could have first chair in the intermezzo, with the whimsy midi from moog, piano and elgit in the background... if they, the choir, lose some of the reverb... just a thought.

Where is our mixerman?
No comment required, ok to leave it out even if you want. Maybe a keyboard solo or something there instead, with or without voc harmony background, idk but the fact is I scrap my recorded ideas quite often if they don't quite work out, don't worry about it, I say.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #188
morgon

^^^^ I wasn't very coherent there, what I mean is when I send the stems there will be a dry version of the vox as well, but I will also lower fx level on the wet version, the more overdubs in a harmony increases the verb it seems without dialing any extra.

No prob, all good, cheers. Im nearly done with my part of Closing Time I think and will soon send stems. Post up the next one whenever youre ready.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #189
Andy Hamm

I'm back in town, but I have to put together a few live recordings before I do anything else. I have hours and hours of shows to sift through atm.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #190
Jorgen

Cheers Andy, in your own time...
Old 10-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #191
morgon

Its all done, added something that actually works in the second half of that 1st harmony.
So the stems for the harmonies, I should make separate files for each pitch group so they can be panned individually , I removed the verb but its multi tracked so it still sounds a bit verby, if its too much I can separate out the takes onto other tracks which would help prolly.
Will post stems tomorrow, yes really this time, the lot. Cheers
Old 10-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #192
Jorgen

Good news, morgon, I'm excited... never been involved in a collab with such a great result as this one. Can't thank you enough. I seem to have a bit of a flu going, but would love to do some more stuff soon.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #193
Andy Hamm

OK so I have a few hours today, where are the latest stems?
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #194
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
OK so I have a few hours today, where are the latest stems?
Hello Andy, I will put together a package for you with the lot soon... got a bit of a cold slowing me down atm.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #195
brockorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Brokorama, I seen that name on the gs songwriting forum. If you're the same guy I like your posts.

If not, kiss my ass
Haha ...yeah that's me, and sorry I don't check in here too much.

I am a registered owner and lover of Reaper, so when I have a complex issue I will see if I can find a solution from the great experts here. That's not very often though lol---cheers!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #196
Jorgen

I'm working on it...
Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #197
Garrick

Quote:
Haha ...yeah that's me, and sorry I don't check in here too much.

I am a registered owner and lover of Reaper, so when I have a complex issue I will see if I can find a solution from the great experts here. That's not very often though lol---cheers!
ahh good man. on GS im crashedthecar, dont post much. This is my real name. or maybe crashedthecar is my real name and garrick is some weird shit I thought up.

wait...

no
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #198
Jorgen

The flu hit me pretty hard, but I'm recovering... here's an interesting take on Ashes To Ashes: http://moundsandcircles.blogspot.se/...s-killing.html