Old 01-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
hands360
Human being with feelings

Default QL Pianos playback sounds bad

I am using soundsonline QL Pianos. The sounds are great when played from the vst interface ("Play"), but when playing back a MIDI track the sound is terrible. Really poor quality, some dropped sounds, uneven volume, muffled, etc. I have tried adjusting the ASIO buffer with no change.

I have used this plugin with Reaper 10 years ago and it worked great right out of the box. I am just adding a track and then choosing the vst. Should I be "inserting a virtual instrument on new track" instead? That prompts me to add about 10 additional tracks but I don't understand what they're for or if I need to do anything with them. I've tried that approach and it still sounds as bad so maybe there is something I (as a relative DAW newb) am missing.

I welcome any suggestions.
hands360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
DarkStar

"inserting a virtual instrument on new track" is a feature in Reaper which loads the plug-in and offers you the opportunity to create separate tracks for each of the audio outputs of the plug-in. This can be used, for example, if you have several different instruments (or drum kit pieces) loaded in the plug-in and want to apply different FX to each of them.

Within the plug-in you would route the different instruments to different outputs.

Anyway, loading the plug-in in that way is not likely to help.

You mentioned that you have used this plugin with Reaper 10 years ago. Can you recall the last time playback was OK? What has changed on your system since then?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
hands360

Thanks, DarkStar. Agreed the routing doesn't really apply in my case.

This is the first I've installed both Reaper and the plugin on this PC, so the last time it worked was 10 years ago. My system certainly has more horse power today than it did 10 years ago, and the OS is different (probably was Vista back then vs. Win 10 today). Obviously a different Reaper version as well, and the plugin is the latest version.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
DarkStar

Hmm, perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment (or elsewhere)so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
hands360

I was exchanging emails with soundsonline (the vst mfgr.) support today and they thought the problem could be due to the 5400 rpm drive I was using. I copied all the sound samples to a 7200 rpm SATA and the problem still exists.

I've attached the same Reaper project file I sent to them. They said it worked for them and to contact them if I still had issues. Argh...

I also attached an mp3 of the output I am getting when rendering. This is what I hear in playback in Reaper as well. This is a very high quality sample library of a Steinway concert grand so the sound should be top notch. As you can see (or hear), it's far from that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestProj.zip (583.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
mschnell

(Standard "offline") rendering will not suffer from speed problems any part of your equipment might introduce. The rendering would just take longer is such case.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote