Old 06-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Bluzzi
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer X-Touch One

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-by-touch-one

Totally new to Reaper and this product is also new (not available yet actually). Looks like a close clone the Presonus Faderport.

Just wondering how easy and bugfree Presonus or the Behringer X-Touch controllers are with reaper.

Is it just a matter of pluggin a USB cable into the PC or is there more setup to do then that?

Cheers

Jim
Bluzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
mykrobinson

Following. This looks like a nice controller. Even has Reaper stick on templates for it

mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Bluzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
Following. This looks like a nice controller. Even has Reaper stick on templates for it

Your right! I hadn't noticed it.

Seems to have more buttons than the Faderport. But I wonder if they all work?

Cheers

Jim
Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
mschnell

Regarding the picture they seem to have tested it with Reaper.

Reaper provides MCU mode for DAW surfaces out of the box, but other modes can be added,

Supposedly the One can work in MCU mode, and it's firmware maybe provides option settings according to the pictured sheets (hence including Reaper). Or maybe they provide some thing to be loaded in the target DAW (including Reaper) to support the One.

Additionally, Geoff is working on a versatile Reaper Extension supposed to support a wide range of surfaces and user defined workflows.

In fact I am considering adding a One to the Behringer X-Touch Compact I own right now.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
G-Sun

This looks very interesting.
I'd not be surprised to see this one becoming the most popular control surface for Reaper.

Clearly builds on the Presonus Faderport,
but seems to (finally) address some of it's shortcomings.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
Bluzzi

Not sure what the Presonus shortcomings are but I assume it does not function 100% with Reaper. I'll be waiting for the Behringer unit to come out to see if integrates better if that is the case.

There may be something the Behringer can do that the Presonus won't.

It should be available shortly and I am sure there will be a few here that will beat me to it.

Cheers

Jim
Old 07-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzzi View Post
Not sure what the Presonus shortcomings are but I assume it does not function 100% with Reaper. I'll be waiting for the Behringer unit to come out to see if integrates better if that is the case.

There may be something the Behringer can do that the Presonus won't.

It should be available shortly and I am sure there will be a few here that will beat me to it.

Cheers

Jim
Just waiting on my email from Sweetwater to tell me they are in stock
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Ideosound

I currently use the Faderport and I can't live without it! I am using it with the amazing driver you download on this forum. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....derport+driver

The main thing about the custom driver is it avoids the 8 fader Mackie banking limitation. This means when you have a large project and you click on any track it will lock the physical fader to that track. When you have to manually bank through all of the tracks in 8's to get to the one you want it KILLS way too much time. So much in fact that it's quicker to use a mouse and therefore makes using the hardware pointless in my eyes. I hope either this X touch one doesn't suffer this limitation (as does any hardware using the Mackie protocol). You can also make any button on the Faderport run actions/scripts and even make the pan knob scrub the play head. Super cool....
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Stella645

Quote:
Not sure what the Presonus shortcomings are
First thing that springs to mind is no screen so you don't know which track you're on.

NB: IntaAudio in UK are advertising the One as in stock already if anyone is desperate to get hold of one.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
G-Sun

Quote:
Not sure what the Presonus shortcomings are
I was thinking:
- Display of name/# of selected track
- Display of time/beat-position
Old 07-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #11
lucky_bleeder

Hi chaps

I've just taken delivery of the X Touch One as a Presonus replacement.
So far very impressed, it is better in every way except one really annoying shortfall.

With the Presonus (and Alphatrack which I had before) Vol fader and panpot follow track selection via mouse click, but in the X Touch you have to use the channel select buttons to change track selection for fader and panpot even though the other controls (automation,mute,solo etc) follow mouse selection.

I suspect that this is a firmware error that will get a fix in future updates or I've got some settings mixed up somewhere, but I hope it is fixable because it ruins an otherwise great bit of kit.
lucky_bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #12
steveo42

Same problem here. Just took delivery today and Reaper, Studio One and Cubase 9.5, all latest versions, fail to follow fader when clicking on channels. Real downer.
Mousing on screen doesn't seem to do anything via fader most times.

Otherwise the unit is very, very solid, well constructed and nice. Only other complaint is jog wheel is a little stiff using finger in depression. It's fine when grabbing outside of ring. Encoder knob has a little side to side play but is accurate and solid... I'm waiting on approval to log into the official Berhinger forums and see what's up but if this is BAU, it's going back to Sweetwater.
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #13
mschnell

Could you try it with Geoff's CSI plugin -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143 ?

-Michael
Old 08-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
mb945

Just got my X-Touch One in today and I'm using it in MCU User mode where I can customize the buttons and it's working great overall. The main annoyance is that as mentioned above, it does not follow the track selected like the Faderport XT did. You have to use the channel button to find it manually which is definitely a hassle but not a total dealbreaker. Hopefully someone can figure out a way around this for Reaper?
Another hassle is that there is no on and off switch so I guess you just have to turn it off by physically unplugging on the back. That's no good.
It also has a very bright light on the jog/shuttle wheel which I would like to either turn off or dim. I just emailed Behringer support about that to see if that's possible.
Other than that, it's a very nice and solid unit that I prefer to the Faderport. The time display is really a novelty for me and not needed or useful but I think it might look cool for clients to see.
Before I had the Faderport and also a separate MIDI controller with several buttons but I'm consolidating those both down to just the X-Touch One and I think it will do the job.
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
steveo42

Same feelings here except that I'm finding I don't know what track I'm on as the DAW highlights one track and the Touch One is really assigned to a different track so I'm screwing things up and constantly trying to figure out where I am.
It's the same in all the DAWs I tested so it's definitely a Berhinger problem. I'm suspecting some kind of limitation of the MCU protocol and since the Faderports use their own driver/protocol that's how they are able to get around the limitation.

I don't see this one making it past the weekend in my studio.
It's very frustrating because everything else about the unit is excellent.

BTW is your jog knob kind of tight when using the finger depression to turn?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo42 View Post
I'm suspecting some kind of limitation of the MCU protocol and since the Faderports use their own driver/protocol that's how they are able to get around the limitation.
Actually, no, it's neither a limitation of the MCU protocol, nor something special about the Faderport drivers, their protocol is very similar to the Mackie protocol.

It's all about the integration software -- the dll/dylib that you use.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
You should not be so shy but openly advertise your upcoming CSI Reaper extension here, to get a "One" user as an additional tester !

-Michael (interested in adding a "One" to a setup with a "Compact", once that might work)
Old 08-18-2018, 02:19 AM   #18
G-Sun

Quote:

So, I guess a custom Reaper fix is possible then?

Although I believe the current issue will be fixed from Behringer as it's a pretty obvious bug/unintended behavior.
Don't know their legacy in driver/firmware-updating though.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:03 AM   #19
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You should not be so shy but openly advertise your upcoming CSI Reaper extension here, to get a "One" user as an additional tester !

-Michael (interested in adding a "One" to a setup with a "Compact", once that might work)
Ok, in the spirit of some Saturday morning fun, I'll take you up on that

instead of posting "Actually, no, it's neither a limitation of the MCU protocol, nor something special about the Faderport drivers, their protocol is very similar to the Mackie protocol."

I could have said

The reason I know all of this is that I've been programming control surface interface software since 2006.

Currently in the Reaper stash you will find:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/11712/WaddMCUC4.zip -- MCU/XT/C4 plugin with customization via map files.
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/18477/EuCon%20Beta.zip -- EuCon support for Reaper which includes customization via map files.

Oh yeah, back in 2006 I was working as a contractor to a company out west called Sanewave, which was, in turn, contracted to PreSonus, I wrote the interface software for the Faderport, at that time it supported Sonar, Cubase, and DP

OK, OK, enough of that crap

There is a new (ongoing) project, started almost 2 years ago, that is now at the pre alpha stage, here is an ancient demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravhFzHcYKI

I would love to have as many X-Touch One testers as possible, in order to get the most out of this box !!

Feel free to join the discussion at the thread listed below.

Seriously, I think this little box has a lot of promise with a small bit of software help, please come on over, join the thread, and make it happen !

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 08-18-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #20
steveo42

Quote:
Actually, no, it's neither a limitation of the MCU protocol, nor something special about the Faderport drivers, their protocol is very similar to the Mackie protocol.

I stand corrected ! Thank you Geoff for clearing this up.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 AM   #21
G-Sun

Quote:
Ok, in the spirit of some Saturday morning fun, I'll take you up on that
I would love to have as many X-Touch One testers as possible, in order to get the most out of this box !!...

Seriously, I think this little box has a lot of promise with a small bit of software help, please come on over, join the thread, and make it happen !
Geoff, I'm very happy to hear this from you. The Reaper-community is blessed to have you onboard.
I agree with you, the Behringer X-Touch One is very promising.

Until Reaper gets a surface-paradigm that allows binding specific tracks to specific controller-channels,
I belive a one-channel-solution like Faderport or Behringer X-Touch One is the best solution for 95% of us.

And, with X-Touch One ticking all the boxes of things missing with Faderport, it could be a hit here.
At least with proper drivers.

btw: Faderport-user here, and don't plan to get an X-Touch One until it breaks
Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #22
smackdabtkb

Default Tried all the avail Reaper plugins already for Xtouch One

Geoff I tried your WADD MCU files from long ago, pretty much everything works in Reaper on the Xtouch One except for the Assignment Indicator, which track you're on, and the Track Select follow reaper. Is working for the pan button select however i have no idea what that is doing.

Tried also the Klinke plugin it's working for assignment indicator but the track select is not working. Klinke also doesn't work for the pan button push selection.

Between those it's close but the main issue is the track select which also was the whole point I bought this device.
smackdabtkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 AM   #23
Finnish

X Touch One user here, really really waiting for the next firmware update, i.e. X Touch follows track selection in Reaper..!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #24
steveo42

Geoff, just so I'm clear, the Touch One issue is NOT related to the MCU protocol but to the DLL/DynLib that is used. So by DLL/DynLib, you are referring to the libraries installed by the various DAW program because as far as I know, the X-Touch does not install any of it's own software unless it sneaked it in some how.
I'm not a programmer so be gentle

BTW this is a hot issue and is being discussed on all the usual boards and apparently Behringer development is aware. Don't know if they can fix it quickly or if they just managed to release a brain dead product.

Once again thank you for all your assistance.

Last edited by steveo42; 08-20-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #25
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo42 View Post
Geoof, just so I'm clear, the Touch One issue is NOT related to the MCU protocol but to the DLL/DynLib that is used. So by DLL/DynLib, you are referring to the libraries installed by the various DAW program because as far as I know, the X-Touch does not install any of it's own software unless it sneaked it in some how.
I'm not a programmer so be gentle

BTW this is a hot issue and is being discussed on all the usual boards and apparently Behringer development is aware. Don't know if they can fix it quickly or if they just managed to release a brain dead product.

Once again thank you for all your assistance.
Yeah, it's pretty simple if you step through it.

In order to find out if a track is selected, the X touch One must be in communication with the DAW.

That usually means a dll/dylib to perform this communication function.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #26
steveo42

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty simple if you step through it.

In order to find out if a track is selected, the X touch One must be in communication with the DAW.

That usually means a dll/dylib to perform this communication function.
Thanks again Geoff.. And apologies for misspelling your name. Time for another cup of cafe
Old 08-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #27
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
X Touch One user here, really really waiting for the next firmware update, i.e. X Touch follows track selection in Reaper..!
"Compact" user here. Waiting for a firmware update by Behringer that allows for having the software th device is connected to detect that one of the layer "A" and "B" buttons is pressed...

No idea if/when something like this will happen.

(In fact "track selection" can be performed on the DAW/extension site, while the "A"/"B" buttons just don't send anything, so the DAW/extension is completely out of luck )

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-20-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #28
mb945

Thanks Geoff!
Would definitely be down to test some X-Touch One drivers.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #29
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb945 View Post
Thanks Geoff!
Would definitely be down to test some X-Touch One drivers.
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #30
steveo42

Quote:
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too.. This unit is a killer other than the track following problem. I'm talking Nucleous quality here.. The unit is heavy, super solid build quality, solid rubber buttons that are not squishy and if you didn't know the price of $150 or so USD, you would guess double, maybe even triple that price because the quality is there. It's truly amazing considering Behringer's reputation for cheap gear.
This ain't cheap feeling at all.

Sadly, the track following problem kills this unit big time.
Behringer better fix this FAST or they will never sell one because it's that bad of a screw up.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #31
Geoff Waddington

Oh wow, just realized we can test one end of this already.

Download CSI https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip, read the readme file, install and get the X Touch One working as an MCU, it should be the only surface on the page -- remove all others.

Set it to 1 Channel, NonBankable.

OK, once that is working, now you need to locate and edit MCU.axt, its in the C4/axt folder.

Change this part of the MCU.axt file:

Option+Marker Reaper 40174
Nudge Reaper 40173
Cycle CycleTimeline
Click Reaper 40364

VUMeter TrackOutputMeter 0
VUMeter TrackOutputMeter 1
DisplayUpper TrackNameDisplay
DisplayLower TrackTouchControlled TrackPanDisplay TrackVolumeDisplay

to look like this:

Nudge Reaper 40173
Cycle CycleTimeline
Click Reaper 40364

TrackOnSelection MapTrackAndFXToWidgets

Now when you select a track with the mouse you should automap to the X Touch.

If this works, should take about a day to do this properly for you folks.

Anyone game to try ?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #32
mb945

Just tried that but not sure if I have everything setup right.
Does this look correct?

This allows me to use transport and it does show the time on the display but it does not recognize any channel (including master) on the fader, whether using the mouse fader or physical one.
Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
Finnish

Quote:
This allows me to use transport and it does show the time on the display but it does not recognize any channel (including master) on the fader, whether using the mouse fader or physical one.
Thanks!
Same here!!!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #34
mb945

Update, I changed it from MC User mode to MC Reaper mode and restarted the X-Touch One and it will now recognize the first track only when I select it but when I drag the fader with the mouse the physical one kind of freaks out and stutters a lot. It does not recognize any other fader, though. It also says <c> on the display under the track name.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #35
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just tried that but not sure if I have everything setup right.
Does this look correct?

Thanks!
Looks good, did you make the following change to MCU.axt ?

Nudge Reaper 40173
Cycle CycleTimeline
Click Reaper 40364

Old 08-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #36
Finnish

Quote:
Looks good, did you make the following change to MCU.axt ?

Nudge Reaper 40173
Cycle CycleTimeline
Click Reaper 40364

I made those changes and my X Touch One follows track selection! But, only the first three tracks in my demo session are followed. I'm using MCU Standard mode in X Touch One.

Quote:
It also says <c> on the display under the track name
My impression is that your pan is 0/centered on that track, try to move your encoder and you see it moving to left or right.

So I guess there's hope left, and a lots of it!!!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #37
mb945

Update: After some testing I realized that I still had the Faderport XT showing up in the Control Surfaces page of the Reaper pref's even though it wasn't connected but I remove that and the faders now move smoothly with CSI and don't stutter.
It will recognize all faders except the very last track in the list.
One issue is that it does not recognize any of the Function keys (F1-F6) like it did before.
It also does not show the selected track number in the "Assignment" box on the top of the X-Touch One, which would be nice if possible.
But this is very promising. Thanks!!

Last edited by mb945; 08-21-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #38
G-Sun

Quote:
For pan it's always hope left cause I'm always right
Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #39
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I made those changes and my X Touch One follows track selection! But, only the first three tracks in my demo session are followed. I'm using MCU Standard mode in X Touch One.

My impression is that your pan is 0/centered on that track, try to move your encoder and you see it moving to left or right.

Great news !
Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #40
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Update: After some testing I realized that I still had the Faderport XT showing up in the Control Surfaces page of the Reaper pref's even though it wasn't connected but I remove that and the faders now move smoothly with CSI and don't stutter.
It will recognize all faders except the very last track in the list.
One issue is that it does not recognize any of the Function keys (F1-F6) like it did before.
It also does not show the selected track number in the "Assignment" box on the top of the X-Touch One, which would be nice if possible.
But this is very promising. Thanks!!
Ok, so we're on the right track, pun intended

I'll get to work and make it so that Channel Left/right select Previous/Next track and I'll add a new action MapTrackToWidgets.

That should take care of the selecting problems.

The rest is more about adding features, function keys, selected track number, etc.

Let's solve the select issues first