Old 12-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
JazzPedro
Human being with feelings

Default Using sounds from my digi piano

You have probably had this question many time before and I have read a few answers but not solved my problem.

I have a Yamaha P-115 Digital Piano. I have connected it to my pc using a USB cable. Reaper recognises input. I am able to record. I can also playback hearing the sound from the piano. If I set the "midi hardware output" to my soundcard/-interface (M-audio 410) nothing happens...

I don't know much about this routing stuff. But how do I get Reaper to send midi to the piano and receive the audio from there? (If that is what I need).

Any help will be grateful appreciated.
JazzPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello JazzPedro and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you get the excellent User Guide too:
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php

OK, going back a step for clarification - are you recording audio or MIDI from the Yamaha?

For the MIDI Hardware output set to the M-Audio 410, its MIDI output is connected to the Yamaha input? Do you need to configure anything in the M-Audio? But, as the Yamaha P-115 is connected by USB, can you enable it as a MIDI Output device in Reaper's Preferences? Then select that on the track's "MIDI Hardware Output".

You might find it valuable to draw a diagram such as in post #3 here to show what's connected to what.
How to describe your hardware set-up (in Post #3)
Old 12-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
JazzPedro

Thanks DarkStar

I figured out a work around. I called a friend and according to him you can not get any audio through the usb-cable (just like with midi-connections).

I simply recorded the track sending the output to the digital piano so I could hear what I was playing. That gave me a midi-track (without audio).

I then connected my piano to my M-audio interface with a regular jack-cable (line in).

I created a new track and recorded what the piano sent to my soundcard (M-audio). That gave me a wave-file with the correct sound and there don't even seem to be any latency.

I hope it makes sense in case anyone has the same challenge. :-)
JazzPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
DarkStar

Yep, that makes sense