Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Mage
Human being with feelings

Default Softube plugins switch to mono on tracks with more than two channels

A few days ago, it started to disturb me why a track sounded strange. Today, I figured it out but could not solve it yet.

Long story in short: the vast majority of the Softube plugins switch to mono as soon as the track has more than two channels. I hardly ever use more than four channels on a track, but it’s already too much for Softube or maybe Reaper+Softube.

It’s easy to reproduce.

Start with an empty track.
Add anything of Weiss or Fix Phaser/Flanger/Doubler or Saturation knob. There are more but not all of their plugins will do it.
Look at the channels. It will be normal. For example, Fix Flanger, 2 in 2 out. (Left and Right).
Add two more channels.
The Softtube plugin switches to:

In: 1, 2, 3, 4
Out: 1, 2, 3, 4

I found no way to fix it.
If you add other and non-softube plugins to the FX chain, they will behave normal. As soon as you go back to two channels only, the Softube plugin switches to normal too.

(Now I am wondering if it happened in another DAW, how and when would I have noticed it.)

Update: it makes me wonder too how I could use an external sidechain for Weiss

Last edited by Mage; 09-14-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #2
sisaso

I think, that is a bug of Softubes VST3 Plugins. With the VST2 version everything is fine, the VST3 show the behaviour you explained. Workaround: Right click on the Plugin pin connector and change: Request VST3 Bus channel count to Stereo.
Hope this helps
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:07 AM   #3
Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
I think, that is a bug of Softubes VST3 Plugins. With the VST2 version everything is fine, the VST3 show the behaviour you explained. Workaround: Right click on the Plugin pin connector and change: Request VST3 Bus channel count to Stereo.
Hope this helps
Thank you. Your workaround worked.

(It’s another a surprise Weiss has a mono sidechain input but I will survive).
Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
Hope this helps
You are right about VST2 vs VST3.

In the first few emails, their support responded to me that their plugins work as intended. After about six rounds of emails, they told me they would forward it to their test team.

Meanwhile, I ran into this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=166558&page=2

I think it’s better to stick with their VST2 plugins.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 AM   #5
Tollpatsch

One year later... Same problem.
I can change the channel routing manually to stereo to fix it. It works. But it's not a nice way with a lot of risk to overlook the problem in the workflow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console1fix.jpg (52.0 KB, 139 views)
Tollpatsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
radekdolezi

Any chance to have script to call this settings?

Note: TRY THIS – open Console 2 VST3 plugin and set the Request VST3 Bus channel count to Stereo instead of AUTO – and voila – it remains the same after the sidechain connection as well. And if you save it in as Reaper preset (the previous step – before you'll connect the routing cable), you don't have to change it anymore! Thanks a lot for showing the way – SOLVED (to me).

Last edited by radekdolezi; 10-16-2019 at 05:29 AM.
radekdolezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
Superfly76

Thanks. Just ran into this problem today on channels with sidechain routing. Man, I wonder how long this has slipped by me! I run tape on bass all the time. Ouch! Going to save all my softube plugin as default reaper preset files with this option selected. What a pain. I can't believe this has slipped by me for so long. Bass almost always has a sidechain from the kick on 3&4.

Edit:
Just tested. It didn't work. Going to report a bug tomorrow.

Last edited by Superfly76; 08-19-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Superfly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
Superfly76

I just hid all my Softube VST3 plugins in Reaper so that only VST 2 plugins show in the FX Browser. I don't want this to happen again.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:27 AM   #9
Daodan

Another suggestion:
Right click on plugin in Fx browser and uncheck "inform plug-in when track channel count changes".
Works for me with pro-q 3 vst3 and side chain issue.
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:05 AM   #10
Superfly76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Another suggestion:
Right click on plugin in Fx browser and uncheck "inform plug-in when track channel count changes".
Works for me with pro-q 3 vst3 and side chain issue.
Well that seemed to have fixed it. Thank you Daodan!

What a bug. And the bad thing is, is that I am certain that I've had several mixes come out of my studio where the bass had tape saturation on the left channel only!!! (facepalm)
Old 08-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #11
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Another suggestion:
Oh wow! I've had the same problem with Softube, McDSP and Sketch Cassette VST3's as well. I didn't even know that setting existed - thanks!!!