Old 07-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Interface with decent Preamp

A friend of mine is looking for a decent USB/FW interface. He's a total beginner, but simply wants to record his own singing voice at home for the fun of it, and I got him hooked on Reaper to do it too.

Can you fellas recommend an interface for a Windows XP machine that can work an SM 58 mic without getting too noisy ? It'll have to have a headphone output as well, but most have that anyway, so it's down the the quality of the preamp and AD.

Any suggestions are very welcome.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
manning1

http://www.webaudioadvisor.com/mic-preamp.html
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
airon

Thanks. The interfaces mentioned are predecessors to what's available today, so the Edirol UA-25 and the M-Audio Firewire Solo are on my list of probables now. Both retail at around 200 Euros here.

M-Audio advertises low latency ASIO drivers. The Edirol just speaks of ASIO 2.0 drivers. Are the drivers of much use on these two interfaces or from these two companies in general ?

Keep the suggestions coming. I'm sure more folks are looking to get an inexpensive interface of reasonable quality.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

We're using an Alesis IO2 when recording vocals (and sometimes guitars) and it works great! It's 138 Euro at Thomann.de http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_io2.htm

Has two ins with preamps that - at least to my ears - sound quite nice, MIDI in/out, XLR and TRS... All you need for small recordings IMO.

(It's bus powered so make sure the USB ports on your friends computer can handle it - some Dell laptops don't meet the USB standard and thus cannot power things like the IO2.)

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
maa

Get something more high end - you wont regret it:

http://audioen.terratec.net/modules....article&sid=31

Cheers

M
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
airon

The IO2 looks to be a decent interface as well. The Terratec interface is well stocked in features that it's eventual user will not need.

In the end it's about the quality of the preamp, converters and drivers.

Can anyone tell me what the preamps and converters sound like on the three interfaces Edirol UA-25, M-Audio Firewire Solo and Terratec PhaseX24 ?

How well do their drivers facilitate low to medium latency work in Reaper ?

Right now I'd be leaning towards the M-Audio interface, with the Edirol a close second and Alesis third, but I'm simply suspecting how good the interface sounds and how good the drivers are. If push comes to shove I'll just order one and test it, but it'll save time to know a bit beforehand, so all information is apreciated. Thanks for the headsup on the IO2 Jonas. Thanks for the pointer to the PhaseX24, Maa. I'll look in to other models of that line if there are any. Perhaps a unit without some of what would be unnecessary extras for the intended setup will do the trick.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
CloudStreetsMusic

Let's see...FWIW...and I recommend saving and spending as much as one can...in the long run that will cost less...I've made the opposite error myself.

I've used Presonus Firepod and Eureka (Eureka is preamp plus A/D only); EMU 1820M; Macke Onyx 400F; API A2D (Preamp and A/D Converter only); RME FF800. I've only HEARD M-audio and Edirol stuff, so can only comment on conversion there...

Here is my rankings, from which, based on MY experience, I would recommend the latest Presonus Unit or latest E-MU unit (1616M?).

The preamp + conversion is included just as a reference:

API A2D:: Preamp A++ (Doesn't get any better, just different) Conversion: A+ (where Lavry makes one A++)

RME:: Preamp: B- (Good, clean, bland, unremarkable). Conversion: A

Presonus::: Preamp: B+ (Clean, more interesting than RME) Conversion: B

Makie Onyx:: Preamp: A (Clean, VERY classy, nice sound...amazing for the money) Conversion: B+ (a little brittle for some ears, but very linear)

E-MU 1820M or 1616M::: Preamp: B (nice...clean with some attitude, but not enough headroom for drums without a pad) Conversion: A-

M-Audioand Edirol:: Preamp: B- Conversion: C

YMMV, but he might even want to check out the E-MU 0202. Oh and drivers-wise? Nothing has touched RME for the money, in my experience.

Best,

Mark
CloudStreetsMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
airon

Hmm. I'm looking at the Presonus Firebox. Good options on signal in/outs. The small Presonus Inspire box seems neat too. The Firebox seems a bit more solid, though the guy does not need that many outputs.

Were you referring to the Firebox, Firepod or Inspire box when you mentioned Presonus ?

The API is of course a wonderful option, but the guy won't be micing demanding material any time soon. He's not going to go for the lowest price, but for decent quality.

It all starts with the preamp. Unfortunatly the Onyx is a bit too much, and he'll never use any of the faders.

So far the Firebox seems like the way to go. Good preamp and good converters.

Are the drivers anything to be afrain of ? That's my final concern.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
CloudStreetsMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Hmm. I'm looking at the Presonus Firebox. Good options on signal in/outs. The small Presonus Inspire box seems neat too. The Firebox seems a bit more solid, though the guy does not need that many outputs.

Were you referring to the Firebox, Firepod or Inspire box when you mentioned Presonus ?

The API is of course a wonderful option, but the guy won't be micing demanding material any time soon. He's not going to go for the lowest price, but for decent quality.

It all starts with the preamp. Unfortunatly the Onyx is a bit too much, and he'll never use any of the faders.

So far the Firebox seems like the way to go. Good preamp and good converters.

Are the drivers anything to be afrain of ? That's my final concern.

Based on what you say above, the Firebox is an excellent choice, IMHO. Build quality and sound quality are very decent an just about everything Presonus. They are a good company.

Best,

Mark
Old 07-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
CloudStreetsMusic

Oh, and BTW, the Onyx 400F is a rack mount for around $700, but some folks find the drivers a bit dodgey...great sound, though, for the money. Pres alone are worth that price, IMHO.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
Bastiaan M

What about an mbox 1? I have one and it works perfectly with Reaper. They aren't that expensive anymore and give you the ability to use PTLE as well. Use the ASIO-driver to run the mbox with Reaper.....

Last edited by Bastiaan M; 07-09-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Bastiaan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
CloudStreetsMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiaan M View Post
What about an mbox 1? I have one and it works perfectly with Reaper. They aren't that expensive anymore and give you the ability to use PTLE as well. Use the ASIO-driver to run the mbox with Reaper.....
If it works for you, that's great. To my mind, the pres are competitive with the Firebox, but personally, I don't prefer USB, and I don't prefer the conversion.

Best,

Mark
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
jdier

I have worked with and been pleased with all of the following:

RME FireFace 800 - Just love it. If your guy wants cheaper, look at the 400. Preamps are not a stumbling block and the converters seem good, but most important the drivers are rock solid.

Presonus Fireface - I used it at a buddies house for a project. I liked it fine. We were using Cubase with it and we did not have a crash. Just a pile of tracking, no mixing or effects.

Line6 TonePort UX1 - I do not think I would use it to record final tracks, but for getting ideas down, it is perfect and at a perfect price. AND, while I have never much liked guitar modeling, it is really fun to play with on this unit.

If you want to HEAR the FireFace preamps, go to: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...t/14857/10295/ and download the imp11 rar file. Most of the tracks on that song were done with the built in preamps on the FireFace, and they sound plenty good to me.

Jim

www.rmutt.us
jdier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #14
airon

Thanks a lot for the information. The man has what he needs to make his choice now. And he's using Reaper obviously ("only $40?").

I would have recommended a small MBox or MBox2, but Protools just isn't flexible enough. The lanes, export options, vst capabilities ,file reading features and being able to configure so much in Reaper realy makes those Digidesign interfaces a waste of money for him. The decent one, it seems, is the MBox2Pro(I have an old MBox btw, but use with external AD/DA for PTle work), which is way over $700 here.

As I said, thanks fellas. The help is much appreciated.