Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
03lespaul
Human being with feelings

Default Apply FX to Ezdrummer track template

I just want to say that I consider myself a very experienced newbie, maybe even about to graduate from newbieland but none the less still a Reaper newbie.

I'm using some EZdrummer track templates that I downloaded somewhere on this forum and they work great. The template includes about 8-10 tracks. Kick, snare, hi hat, toms, and so on. The track that holds my EZD plugin also holds the midi regions.

I'm having trouble using "apply FX toitem as a new take" as it only renders the kick to a new take.

Any ideas?
03lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
03lespaul

If I open my EZD mixer(viewed in the plugin GUI) and set all the kit pieces to track 1.....then the "apply fx to item as a new take" renders all the drum pieces to a new take.

But that defeats the purpose of this track template because any mixing that took place in the other tracks(kick snare room tracks) is not used for the render.

I'm sure this is going to be another "duh" moment so somebody feel free to make me feel dumb.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
03lespaul

Now that I've thought about it some more....I guess it would be easy enough to mute all the other tracks, render the project and then insert the file onto another track.

If you wondering why.....I'm just trying to keep my cpu usage down while tracking. I like my latency around 2ms.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
VikingGuitar

If I'm reading this correctly, I think I had the same issue a while back. Basically, I want to be able to apply separate effects like EQ and delay and stuff to individual drums in ezDrummer. Problems ensued. Here's how I dealt with it.

First off, I set up ezDrummer as a Folder Track, with the actual VSTi in the folder track. I had sub-tracks for kick, snare, toms, hats, and cymbals. I would then set up the whole drum line in the main Folder track. After it's all done, glue all of the individual midi items together so that you have one big midi line that has all of the drum triggers.

Open up that midi line and you can right click on the piano roll to select all notes within that instrument. You can use this to select and cut all kick triggers. Then, create a new midi item in the "Kick" subtrack and paste all the kick notes in there. Repeat for the other instruments so that you have separate tracks for each instrument. The original midi file on the folder track should now be empty.

From there, mute everything but the main folder track and the kick and render the folder track. You now have a non-midi, wav audio kick track. Unmute the drum track, mute the midi kick track, and unmute the snare and render the folder track. Now you've got snare. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Now you should have separate audio tracks for each instrument. You can add effects and whatnot with wild abandon and not worry about it effecting the other drums.

Hope this helps.