Old 09-07-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Ismellelephant
Human being with feelings

Default Presonus StudioLive 32S Control Surface

I have run out of ideas. No midi on this mixer, midi is sent via network. I just can't seem to get the 32S to work as a control surface for Reaper. I followed these instructions.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/do...N_25032019.pdf

And although everything looks fine but when I assign midi in an out in the options>Control/OSC/Web after selecting Mackie Control Universal and Makie Control Extender, I get a errors in Reaper about not able to open midi ports.

Any info would be appreciated.
Ismellelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:39 AM   #2
EnkelMagnus

Make sure you have the surface disabled in the midi preferences. In the picture below the X-Touch mini is used as a control surface and is therefore disabled. Which might seem confusing at first but CSI needs sole control over the surface so it can't be shared.
Attached Images
File Type: png MidiPreferences.png (40.3 KB, 189 views)
EnkelMagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Ismellelephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnkelMagnus View Post
Make sure you have the surface disabled in the midi preferences. In the picture below the X-Touch mini is used as a control surface and is therefore disabled. Which might seem confusing at first but CSI needs sole control over the surface so it can't be shared.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Does seem contrary but I will give it a shot.

What do you have selected under Control/OSC/Web settings?
I selected Mackie Control Universal and then selected StudioLive S32 as midi in and outs.
Maybe these midi in and outs should be blank as well?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #4
EnkelMagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellelephant View Post
I selected Mackie Control Universal and then selected StudioLive S32 as midi in and outs.
Maybe these midi in and outs should be blank as well?
No, that sounds right. Should be more than one input from the Studiolive though. Should be 4 by my reckoning. So you could use 3 extenders for all 32 faders.

This should be pretty much the same setup for Reaper.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Ismellelephant

Quote:
No, that sounds right. Should be more than one input from the Studiolive though. Should be 4 by my reckoning. So you could use 3 extenders for all 32 faders.

This should be pretty much the same setup for Reaper.
Thanks for the help.
I seems to have it worked except it is now in 4 banks of 8. If I move SL32S fader 1, it also moves Fader 9, 18, and 24, like they are linked somehow. I can use the SL32S Previous/Next buttons to go thru each bank of 8 and control the faders on Reaper.
I am set up for 24 tracks and I was hoping SL32S 1-24 faders would simply control Reapers 1-24 Faders without going through 4 Banks on the SL32S.
Puzzled.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:52 AM   #6
EnkelMagnus

The first thing i can think of is there's something wrong with the number of channels and offset for the expanders. There should be 8 channels for each and you need to offset them 8,16 and 24
Attached Images
File Type: png Settings.png (21.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
Ismellelephant

Quote:
The first thing i can think of is there's something wrong with the number of channels and offset for the expanders. There should be 8 channels for each and you need to offset them 8,16 and 24
Ok that was vey helpful and I would have never figured that out, lol. Thanks Enkel!
Since you have been a wealth of information, any clues how to control Panning with SL32S and Reaper? My goal has only been to control faders and panning and nothing else when using SL 32S as a control surface. Right now panning is the only issue left.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:45 AM   #8
EnkelMagnus

I've been pondering over this a lot for some reason. There's a really easy way that'll work but i think i discovered some snags.

Anyways, just locate the Zone you're using (mine is in C:\Users\enkel\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\CSI\Zones\MC U on Windows) and add the line
Fader| TrackPan
under the line
Fader| TrackVolume
and it should just work. You need to press Shift on the mixer and the faders should now control pan. According to the manual chapter 3.6 that should be the FXA button.

Now for the snags. Which CSI version are you running? I assume 1.0 because the files i have shouldn't really work with v. 1.1. So they need to be modified if you update.

I see that the mixer doesn't have rotary encoder for each channel so i figured adjusting the pan with the faders was the easiest solution. If you don't want that things become a bit more complicated. But if everythings working for you and you're fine with panning on the faders that should really be it. Otherwise just ask.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #9
EnkelMagnus

Oh yeah i forgot, you need to add that line to the MCUEX zone as well. You might think of the mixer as one device but as far as CSI's concerned, it's several.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #10
EnkelMagnus

No wait,i'm a complete idiot.
The line you're adding obviously should be
Shift+Fader| TrackPan
Old 09-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #11
Ismellelephant

Quote:
No wait,i'm a complete idiot.
The line you're adding obviously should be
Shift+Fader| TrackPan
Thanks Enkel, this real idiot will give it a shot. I am not sure what CSI version I am running but will check.
Actually as far as I know I never installed CSI?
Is this something that would help with getting more functionality when using SL 32S as a control surface?
https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...i/Installation

Last edited by Ismellelephant; 09-20-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:56 AM   #12
studer58

Did you get this working successfully ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote