Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
SiddieNam
Human being with feelings

Default Please help: Nektar Impact LX25+ stopped working properly.

Hello all,

I have a Nektar Impact LX25+ that has inexplicably stopped playing properly. I wondered if it might be to do with a recent upgrade to Windows 10 version 20H2, or Reaper 6.28 (although it might have been happening as early as Reaper 6.26; I wasn't fully paying attention), or me having fat fingers and somehow corrupting something.

Symptoms:
The Nektar Impact LX25+ seems able to transmit MIDI; I can play the keyboard and use the modulation wheels and Reaper responds. But none of the control functions work any more; such as using the stop/play/record transport buttons, or using the pots or fader to interact with Reaper.

Sometimes, too, Reaper displays the "Error Opening Devices" message stating that the device can't be detected at all. On those occasions I have to just disable it in the MIDI config dialogue; other times a combo of switching on and off and bouncing Reaper enables it to be seen again. But in those circumstances the control stuff never works any more.

What have I tried?
Having checked Nektar's website for an updated installer (there isn't one; I'm on the 2019 version which I believe is the most up to date), I also used MIDI Ox to see if I can see the device (I can, unsurprisingly, since I knew pure MIDI was working). I also tried swapping USB cables around in case that helped, but nothing obviously changes.

From a software point of view, I took the following steps:
- Backed up my Reaper config from "Preferences --> General" dialogue.
- Binned the "Reaper" folder in the Windows users "Roaming" profile folder structure.
- Restarted Reaper to allow it to rebuild a vanilla version of that folder structure
- Closed Reaper again
- Performed the install activity for the Nektar Impact DLLs required.
- Started Reaper again and added the "Control Surface" and MIDI config required.

Then it worked. Completely. Control functions and everything.

So, after that, I re-imported my old config using the "Preferences --> General" dialogue. And then the controller breaks again with symptoms as previously described.

All this leads me to think I have something corrupt in my config that I am re-importing. I wonder if there might be a way of repairing this (re-installing the Nektar DLLs WITHOUT clearing out the Reaper config hasn't helped). Anyone know of anything in the Windows "User" "Roaming" profile "Reaper" folder that I might tamper with to see if it helps? Can you think of anything else I might try? Obviously I'm hoping to avoid having to go back to vanilla Reaper, as like everyone I have it set up just how I like it. Obviously, if I can't get out of this I might have to bite the bullet, but would welcome suggestions first. Please offer any thoughts you can -- all responses much appreciated.
SiddieNam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
georgemickel

Same here, LX61+..definitely a Windows thing for me. All I did was reinstalled the Nektar driver, backed up, rebooted and all good.
georgemickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
SiddieNam

Default Can I ask...?

...what version of Windows 10 and what version of Reaper you're on? I do have my suspicions; especially since I did what you've described but it didn't work (or at least it broke as soon as I restored my Reaper config).

When I say what version of Windows 10, I mean the version found by going into Settings --> System --> About; then looking in the Windows Specification section. Mine is 20H2, and I slightly think my problems started when I got that back in mid March (ish).

Any continued advice gratefully received.

Last edited by SiddieNam; 05-13-2021 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Edited to correct a typo
Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
georgemickel

Since purchasing my Nektar LX61 plus, here are a few helpful tips that I've had issues with and make sure to check:

I never use an external usb hub
If Windows updates, I unplug my usb cable from my pc, prior to running Reaper and plug it in the same port
Run Device Manager, look for any yellow checkmarks and make sure Windows didn't change power options under usb

My system version:
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎1/‎3/‎2021
OS build 19042.985
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
Old 05-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
georgemickel

Can you post a screenshot of your Options, Preferences, Midi devices?
Old 05-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
SiddieNam

Here we go (screenshot attached).

Worth noting that I never use a USB hub; I have a PC with 10 on-board USB connectors (some USB 2 and others USB3). I have been moving them around, but only since this failed. I should point out that the config below was working fine, then just seemed to stop a couple of weeks ago without me doing anything obviously different. It's been working fine for about 2 years, since I've had the Nektar.

The Korg Trinity Plus and Yamaha CS1x are old Hardware synths that work fine, just using MIDI. They are going through a MIDI interface called an Icon Cube MI5. That's all working normally -- but that's only MIDI; no "Control Surface" type functions occur there.

My Windows build is much like yours

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎15/‎03/‎2021
OS build 19042.985
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

I'm still thinking I have a config issue somewhere since; as I say; it works if Reaper is vanilla, but stops working when I recover my Reaper config and customisation. I'm really trying to avoid going back to Vanilla Reaper, but if I have to, I have to. Let's hope I don't have to!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-05-13 192527.png (49.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
georgemickel

Ok. I'm sure some Reaper wizards will be able to help out.

As you said, vanilla works, but I wonder what customizations you've done to alter your LX25+ inoperable.

Looking at your screenshot, the only difference is my LX61+ Midi output has been enabled since first installing it and I see yours isn't.

Best of luck to you!

George
Old 05-14-2021, 03:08 AM   #8
SiddieNam

Default Thanks anyway...

Thanks for looking, anyway! Appreciate you taking the time to respond and share your suggestions.

And now... Anyone else?! Help!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #9
SiddieNam

Default Still after a bit of help if you can!

Anyone else have any views on this? Ta!
Old 05-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #10
SiddieNam

Default Still no one with any ideas?

Come on guys; I'm struggling here!
Old 05-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #11
karbomusic

I think you said you have it also properly configured also in control surfaces? I do remember both MIDI devices and Control Surfaces had to be setup properly for it to work at all in my setup. I think you also said you confirmed the Nektar DLL(s) are properly located in Options > Show Reaper Resource path > UserPlugins?

If all of the above is spot on, try installing a portable version of reaper to some folder just for testing and retrace your setup steps per the Nektar manual. As far as the "can't find midi device error". That's likely outside of reaper and an issue communicating with the unit, whether that be a problem connecting via USB or some other app/software already using it - but remember it needs to be enabled in both Control Surfaces and the input+control enabled in midi devices.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #12
SiddieNam

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I think you said you have it also properly configured also in control surfaces? I do remember both MIDI devices and Control Surfaces had to be setup properly for it to work at all in my setup. I think you also said you confirmed the Nektar DLL(s) are properly located in Options > Show Reaper Resource path > UserPlugins?

If all of the above is spot on, try installing a portable version of reaper to some folder just for testing and retrace your setup steps per the Nektar manual. As far as the "can't find midi device error". That's likely outside of reaper and an issue communicating with the unit, whether that be a problem connecting via USB or some other app/software already using it - but remember it needs to be enabled in both Control Surfaces and the input+control enabled in midi devices.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yeah, I'm pretty happy the installation/config stuff is working properly. I haven't tried the portable install trick, but I guess it would work as I can make the device work fully from a full vanilla install.

It's really something to do with re-importing my exported config that's breaking it. Something (and I don't know what) happened to it; it stopped working one day. In an effort to fix it I've exported and re-imported my Reaper config -- it only goes wrong when I do the re-import. And after that, I can't do anything to make it work -- including forgetting the device, re-installing the Nektar software and everything. This makes me think something, somewhere in the config MUST be corrupted somehow. I have trawled through it but can't identify anything.

In the end I have kind of started again, so I am working now. But I would still like to know if anyone has any ideas about what it could be as I'm absolutely befuddled by it; and would like to see if there is any action I could take if it happens again.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #13
gtrguy76

Default Can't get my LX49+ to work at all AS Cntroller

Hello, I am A newbie! I found this post trying to get my Nektar to work as a control surface. I got the keyboard to control synths and drums, but I installed the Reaper ntegration and followed all directions and I keep getting "REAPER Control Surface Error Error Opening MIDI inputs" error messages. I also have a keyboard plugged in just for synths, no control stuff. I tried reinstalling the Reaper Control driver from Nektar with no avail. I am such a newbie I can't seen to attach screenshots-keep getting told they are too big. If I shrink them to much they are not readable Windows 10 user. No USB Hubs, tried a couple cables. Any advice on a messed up setting? As I said new to Reaper and super new to MIDI setups in Reaper.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (10).png (48.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (13).png (56.7 KB, 97 views)
gtrguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #14
ivansc

In your first shot it shows the Nektar as disabled.

Click on the input and output "disabled" labels & you will see options that allow both enable and control. Select them both and your keyboard will work.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #15
gtrguy76

Default Keyboard always worked-Control Surface the issue

So I tried that-even though the directions for controlling reaper in the Nektar literature said to only enable the one for "ENABLE-CONTROL" and leave other disabled. I can get the keyboard to work-I'm trying to get the controls to work-ie the Transport, faders, knobs, pads ect. I bought this one so I could use it as a control surface and keyboard ( hopefully-LOL) without going back and forth to my mouse and keyboard. Also when I enable them both I still get that error message in the Control Surface menu.
gtrguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #16
Sucrepop

Hi
same for me. All the controls works, stop, play, record , the mix buttons...
but I can't record a single note, the keyboard doesn't work