Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-31-2020, 03:14 AM   #1
barbaroja
Human being with feelings

Default Ctrl-Z Undo to plugin fail: Geist, Trilian (Others?)

I am having bad issues with undo (forever). Already tried "send all keyboard input to plug-in" to no avail.

It does not matter how many parameters I change in Geist 2 or Trilian (I suspect many others have this issue). If I insert a track and work on Geist 2 for a while and for some reason hit Ctrl-Z, the plugin disappears as the undo function stores the insertion as the last thing I did.

The only way Reaper has recalled something is if I move a parameter that is mapped to the host in Geist 2. Trilian is no good even if I map a parameter to "enable host automation".

Is there any way to do this? Hours of work lost here.

Thanks
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Edgemeal

I see same problem with IK Multimedia (SampleTank 4 and Amplitube 4) plugins, so I use SWS snapshots when its critical that I may need to undo changes.

What I don't get is, why can SWS snapshots save and undo param changes for these IK Multimedia plugins but REAPER can't? REAPER can record their automation, so why can't it save their params and undo them?
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
barbaroja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
I see same problem with IK Multimedia (SampleTank 4 and Amplitube 4) plugins, so I use SWS snapshots when its critical that I may need to undo changes.

What I don't get is, why can SWS snapshots save and undo param changes for these IK Multimedia plugins but REAPER can't? REAPER can record their automation, so why can't it save their params and undo them?
Interesting. Maybe that sws records a memory dump and reaper just records parameter changes? Dunno, Melodyne can undo, and I seriously doubt reaper is recording things as tuning changes as parameter changes.

We definitely need more insight into this. It is a game stopper when you lose tons of work.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
barbaroja

This should be an important thing, really
Old 04-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Edgemeal

For my IK Multimedia plugins the params aren't exposed until I add them to the plugins own param list first, then reaper can track the param changes and you can undo them but oddly REAPER also removes them so you can't go-back and re-do the changes, can only guess it was the best the devs could do to handle these plugins stupid param design.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 AM   #6
barbaroja

I see. But again, SWS does it. Reaper would be able to do it natively. When you save the projects also recall these plugins correctly.

Bug?
Old 04-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #7
barbaroja

Well last bump for something really important...
Old 06-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Streck0

Same thing just happened to me in Geist2. I was just laying down a nice drum beat, accidentally deleted some notes, hit ctrl-z and boom. All gone. Very annoying!
Streck0 is offline   Reply With Quote