Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
Prosny
Human being with feelings

Default Issue with release time in virtual instruments

Hi everyone, my issue is pretty simple: some virtual instruments I use respond correctly when I release a key (have controllable release time that works when changed) and some don't (where no matter the release time set on the vst, I keep getting the "chopped" sound). I can't seem to find a way to fix this, could you guys please help me?
Prosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
domzy

might be a good idea to give more specific details about the instruments and circumstances of your problem
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Prosny

I have just been trying out some basic free vst to see if I like them. Right now I'm using the usual synth1 (which works correctly), the Steinberg model E (which works correctly too), Firebird 2 (which gives me the problem) and keyzone classic (shows the problem)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
akademie

Try to filter out "All notes Off" MIDI CC message.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:39 AM   #5
Prosny

Thanks, I've tried that but unfortunately the situation stays the same
Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Prosny

Hey guys, sorry for posting again. I still have the same problem, it's starting to become kind of annoying. I think it's got something to do with reaper because it looks like the release setting on the plugins actually does something (if I set it very low I can clearly hear the "click" when I release the key; if I set it any higher the click disappears but the release time remains incredibly short).

Thanks for any help
Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 AM   #7
Goldreap

64 bit Keyzone Classic in W10 here. Release works properly.
There are other problems though.
The preset management is weird. Some parameters are saved, some not.
The Yamaha notes 59 and 60 at high velocity are out of tune (like when the triple strings in a piano are out of tune with each other).
Too many problems.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Prosny

Forgot to write how I fixed the problem: my very old roland digital piano sends a "all notes off" midi message that most plugins read incorrectly. It had something to do with connecting the keyboard to hardware synths back in the day to avoid feedback loops if I remember correctly. Anyways, the only way to avoid this midi message is to always have at least one key pressed; solution: I taped the highest key down -which I never use- and I leave the piano always on, otherwise it resets and I have to tape the key again. This way the release works correctly.

So yeah, Akademie was correct but unfortunately I couldn't find the setting in Reaper, and I probably changed some other setting thinking it was the right one.

Hope it helps
Old 05-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosny View Post
Forgot to write how I fixed the problem: my very old roland digital piano sends a "all notes off" midi message that most plugins read incorrectly. It had something to do with connecting the keyboard to hardware synths back in the day to avoid feedback loops if I remember correctly. Anyways, the only way to avoid this midi message is to always have at least one key pressed; solution: I taped the highest key down -which I never use- and I leave the piano always on, otherwise it resets and I have to tape the key again. This way the release works correctly.

So yeah, Akademie was correct but unfortunately I couldn't find the setting in Reaper, and I probably changed some other setting thinking it was the right one.

Hope it helps
Smart solution.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
Goldreap

"I taped the highest key down"
With gaffer tape of the highest quality I presume.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote