Old 03-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
supernovasunrise
Human being with feelings

Default Xpand in Reaper

Hey there Reaper community. I got a question I couldn't find the answer to online. I made a little recording of the issue: https://youtu.be/dLm7adF9bqc

Is this just the way it is in Reaper and Xpand (similar to the way Kontakt works)? Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, something I should've demonstrated in the video. This also occurs with recorded midi items. Midi items will play in xpand only when they are being sent from the bus track and not when they are on the xpand track. All my other VST instruments don't have this issue, only Xpand. (Which makes me think it's not probably not Reaper's fault, it's probably Xpands fault or a compatibility thing?) It's as if Xpand wants to work like Kontakt.

Any help would be appreciated.
supernovasunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernovasunrise View Post
Hey there Reaper community. I got a question I couldn't find the answer to online. I made a little recording of the issue: https://youtu.be/dLm7adF9bqc

Is this just the way it is in Reaper and Xpand (similar to the way Kontakt works)? Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, something I should've demonstrated in the video. This also occurs with recorded midi items. Midi items will play in xpand only when they are being sent from the bus track and not when they are on the xpand track. All my other VST instruments don't have this issue, only Xpand. (Which makes me think it's not probably not Reaper's fault, it's probably Xpands fault or a compatibility thing?) It's as if Xpand wants to work like Kontakt.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hey there!

That seems to be a weird behaviour of XPand. For me it was the same no sound issue when I've tried it for the first time. You've done everything correct...no need for that workaround routing.
What made my XPand give me some sound was that I chose a preset from the internal presets manager at the bottom of the interface. Right after I chosed one preset I've got sound.

And then after I've deleted the track and made a new one it worked directly without changing an internal preset...
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
supernovasunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
Hey there!

That seems to be a weird behaviour of XPand. For me it was the same no sound issue when I've tried it for the first time. You've done everything correct...no need for that workaround routing.
What made my XPand give me some sound was that I chose a preset from the internal presets manager at the bottom of the interface. Right after I chosed one preset I've got sound.

And then after I've deleted the track and made a new one it worked directly without changing an internal preset...
I think you're right. It's starting to seem to me to just be a glitch in this particular version of Xpand I have installed. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me. I even opened Xpand in Pro tools, exported a *.airMIDI setting, and then tried to open it in Reaper's version of Xpand.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
supernovasunrise

In the process of trying to solve this issue, I discovered a slightly more convenient workaround than the one I demonstrated in the video.

On the track, under: IN FX / Input MIDI / Map input to channel / You can force that track to create items that are mapped to only channel one of that track. It's a little annoying, but if you have this glitch too, you can force Xpand to behave properly using this workaround. https://ibb.co/CKBSkf2 It's not the way Xpand is supposed to work. But at least using this method, you won't end up with having two tracks every time you want to use an instance of xpand.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 AM   #5
skippertag

Quote:
In the process of trying to solve this issue, I discovered a slightly more convenient workaround than the one I demonstrated in the video.

On the track, under: IN FX / Input MIDI / Map input to channel / You can force that track to create items that are mapped to only channel one of that track. It's a little annoying, but if you have this glitch too, you can force Xpand to behave properly using this workaround. https://ibb.co/CKBSkf2 It's not the way Xpand is supposed to work. But at least using this method, you won't end up with having two tracks every time you want to use an instance of xpand.
txs! Have you tried if a new instance of Xpand is working as it should after yon've done the first workaround like it happened for me?
Old 03-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #6
supernovasunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
txs! Have you tried if a new instance of Xpand is working as it should after yon've done the first workaround like it happened for me?
Yes, I did try it, but still got no audio, though the track appears (as always) to be performing MIDI.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
jiff 41

Hi, On the track header can you see on second line of controls "IN" with a down facing triangle if you click on that & select Record out & then output (Stereo) you should be good & don't forget to insert a Midi item on the track; Top line INSERT & then 'New Midi item'
Old 03-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
skippertag

Quote:
Yes, I did try it, but still got no audio, though the track appears (as always) to be performing MIDI.
weird isn't it?
Old 03-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #9
Fergler

Double checked the channels? Put reacontrolmidi before expand and try both methods of MIDI input to see if they're on the same channel.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
EpicSounds

100% this is because your MIDI controller is not set to channel 1