Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-13-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
bgrg
Human being with feelings

Default Certain plugins always crash Reaper 6 (but not Reaper 5)

Hello,

I'm about to switch to version 6 but most of my old projects have plugins that unfortunately crash Reaper 6 when I try to open the plugin interface. These are mostly older 32bit plugins like Variety of Sound VSTs. I suspect it could have something to do with the fact that these were made in SynthEdit, maybe?... I'm not sure but with these crashes, Reaper 6 is unusable to me.

Is there a way to fix this?
bgrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
sisaso

As you mention Variety of sounds 32 Bit Vsts. I still use these Plugins now and then without crashing reaper. I am on 6.03. The Kjaerhus Audio Suite is still working too. I know that they can crash, loosing their GUI and stop passing Audio thru. But not crashing Reaper.
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:02 AM   #3
vitalker

Try to run them in Dedicated processes and use Buggy plugins compatibility
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
bgrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Try to run them in Dedicated processes and use Buggy plugins compatibility
Thank you, but these options do not work in any combination.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:44 AM   #5
bgrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
As you mention Variety of sounds 32 Bit Vsts. I still use these Plugins now and then without crashing reaper. I am on 6.03. The Kjaerhus Audio Suite is still working too. I know that they can crash, loosing their GUI and stop passing Audio thru. But not crashing Reaper.
Yes, they are 32bit, but other bridged plugins work just fine all the time, these tho crash before loading the GUI with no exception.

It's interesting that when I load an older project containing one of these plugins, they work as in (I can hear the effect) as long as I don't open the plugin interface, so it's definitely something about the GUI.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:43 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrg View Post
It's interesting that when I load an older project containing one of these plugins, they work as in (I can hear the effect) as long as I don't open the plugin interface, so it's definitely something about the GUI.
Hm, seems like an issue with your graphic card. Update the driver or download the latest compatible with your device. You can also use them without GUI clicking UI button in the plugin's wrapper.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
bgrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Hm, seems like an issue with your graphic card. Update the driver or download the latest compatible with your device. You can also use them without GUI clicking UI button in the plugin's wrapper.
I've updated my graphic drivers but the problem persists. Also, if it was the driver, it would cause problems in version 5 as well, I would think...

Going without the GUI could be an option with the old projects that already have the plugins loaded and functioning but unfortunately, there are no labels when switching to the native Reaper plugin UI...
Old 04-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
rahul42

Default Similar Issue

So I've recently picked up the VOS plugins again after years of working on mac and I've been experiencing similar issues.

I started working on a project and was using Ferric TDS, Thrilseeker XTC and BootEQ2. They were working fine until I tried loading the project again. The plugins didn't load except boot eq which continued working fine.

I was also using the PSPfetpressor which was 64bit. This stopped working and disappeared entirely from my plugin browser only the 32bit version was available in the plugin browser.

I've since resolved that by reinstalling it and only keeping the 64bit version but not sure what to do about the VOS plugins.
rahul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
billybuck

Same issue here with the VSTi Helm, which is known to be buggy but worked fine for me in Reaper until 6.05 or so. Also seems to be a graphic issue because it loads fine until it begins to display the interface, then Reaper goes poof. Also tried dedicated processes and "buggy VST" settings with the same result.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #10
NinaMaya

Hm I think this could be what's happening here, too.

I used some plugins I always also used on 5.x and at some time I hear the "bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r" which means something like "I've crashed and can't get up again".
And then ANY ONE of those plugins crashed, not really reproducable, and most of them are older 32 bit ones. And it seems to happen only when I switch between the GUIs.

So this will be something to investigate. Has got me so mad I almost smashed the midi keyboard...

Or maybe I'll have to downgrade to 5.x again for the time being. It's not so different though.

Btw. I found a setting that may have something to do with this:
In the "Settings" => "VST" menu there is an option that says "Bypass audio while opening plugin config window (good for some non-threadsave VSTs)"
and in the status it says "Some buggy plug-ins crash when the GUI is opened while a different thread is processing audio. This avoids the crash by interrupting audio"

Sounds like something worthwile to try!

Edit: Tried it, still crashes immediately upon closing the GUI :-(

Last edited by NinaMaya; 03-13-2021 at 02:08 PM.
NinaMaya is offline   Reply With Quote