Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default reaverb impulse adjustments refreshing extremely slowly

this may not be linux-specific but that's what i use so i'll post here. if i put an instance of reaverb on an item and add an impulse and hp/lp filter, i'm finding the refresh to be extremely slow after each adjustment is made, like a minute or more. the refresh time seems to vary, though, between a few seconds and, possibly, never. i gave up waiting sometimes. anyone else see this? have i missed a setting someplace?

thanks,
babag
ubuntu studio 18.04 lts/reaper64 v6.04/32gb memory/evo pro850 ssd
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Glennbo

See if this comes into play. I loaded an impulse, put a HP/LP filter after it, used the wheel on my mouse to slide the LP value and it took noticeable way too long to update the image.

A moment later I grabbed the slider and moved it with a left click grab. Doing this seemed to update instantly, but using the wheel seems to either never change the display, or eventually change it after a very long delay.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
babag

thanks, glennbo. it seems a little better today, though, still very noticable. i'll try your test later today.

today i seemed to notice that it might be affected by the project size. i was trying out some ir's and just put up a very simple, new project with only one active track and put reaverb on the only item on it. things seemed faster like this than in the 96 track template i was originally looking at. after that, i opened the 96 trtack template again and it, too, seemed a bit better, though, slower than the simple project. maybe something to do with how long the session was active? when it was really bad i had had the computer on for hours with the same template open.

thanks again,
babag
Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
babag

well, now, how about that! just tried the comparison of drag vs mousewheel to set the hp/lp slider value and found the same thing: drag seems to update quickly but mousewheel takes a long time. i guess i mostly use the mousewheel and never thought about it.

did not try on a project that had been open for a long time but the results are very noticeable even for a freshly loaded project. the project i did try it on was a large one.

edit:
just thought to try typing in a value and it updates pretty much instantly. looks like there's something in the mousewheel handling that's slow.

thanks again for the tip, glennbo,
babag

Last edited by babag; 03-10-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
Glennbo

Maybe REAPER is trying to render an image for every step of mouse wheel movement.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote