Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #41
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
This time markers weirdness is still there in 4.27pre16:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4358

Basically, if you Alt-click a tempo/sig marker to delete it, all following markers keep their beat position.

All other methods to delete T/S markers mantain following markers TIME position instead of BEAT.

Totally incoherent in my opinion, and totally reproducible in every new project I tried...

- Mario
Seems ok in 16a despite my awful description...

Thanks!

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
I had a similar thought... so....

http://www.askjf.com/index.php?q=2069s

- Mario
That should put that particular subject matter to rest. Thanks.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #43
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
That should put that particular subject matter to rest. Thanks.
Maybe for you? Kinda what I figured. Still, I don't find that answer satisfying or reassuring. But uh, point taken, I guess.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #44
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
Maybe for you? Kinda what I figured. Still, I don't find that answer satisfying or reassuring. But uh, point taken, I guess.
Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to imply anything one way or another as to being reassured or similar. It's just (the link you posted) confirmation that he tends to work on stuff he wants or that he'd find useful, and frankly, there's nothing so much wrong with that really, it's his baby after all.

The X/Y axis thing was (imo) a very clear and concise way to explain it, the relative priorities.?. with "harder and not something I really want" being in the lower right corner.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #45
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to imply anything one way or another as to being reassured or similar. It's just (the link you posted) confirmation that he tends to work on stuff he wants or that he'd find useful, and frankly, there's nothing so much wrong with that really, it's his baby after all.

The X/Y axis thing was (imo) a very clear and concise way to explain it, the relative priorities.?. with "harder and not something I really want" being in the lower right corner.
Right right, and I was just moaning about putting creator whim over user demand or reason. Paying money for a product elicits certain expectations. Funny how unfounded they are. We are more likely to get a change in this software here than any other DAW company with their rigorous bureaucratic systems, but it's only because its creators are real people, with personal interest. The difficulty lies in appealing to that subjectivity rather than expecting the process to "be fair" or "make sense." Just hate feeling like I'm wasting my time trying to formulate and promulgate reasonable requests for improvements.

I just hope they at least have some lackey programmers around to mitigate some of the coding tedium.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #46
Evan

PooFox, my take on this...

See how people (myself included) often complain about half-finished features in Reaper? I guess Fades Editing was one of them and this pre-cycle tries to amend this. I know it's one of many and probably not our most desirable features, but it must be for a number of others.

We can only hope that rigorous development in a specific feature of Reaper might have positive consequences in other features as well.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #47
Brado231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
On Windows they probably use LICEcap.
http://www.cockos.com/licecap/
Thanks!
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Doc Shay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm having trouble duplicating most of this -- can you send your .rpp and reaper.ini to support at cockos dot com?

Having said that:

Recording MIDI in overdub mode: this will not create a new item until some MIDI data is sent. If the MIDI data is sent as the first block, that'll create the item. There may be an option to control this, I forget. This behavior changing due to ReWire being used is unlikely and probably a red herring.

The multiple notes being recorded, I can't duplicate, but hopefully if I get your reaper.ini and project I can isolate what configuration is causing this.
Yeah I will send the rpp and ini files to the support email.
Doc Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #49
Sound asleep

not sure if i fully understand this:

+ Routing windows: space passes through to main actions, for keyboard navigation use shift+space
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #50
chucky5p

Quote:

Unfortunately this brings us to this observation:

The main problem with this work methodology (X/Y axis; working mostly on stuff the devs want and that's easy to implement) is that even if 99% of Reaper users would like feature X and the devs don't fancy that feature and/or find it difficult to implement, they(users) will probably never get it. Compare that with almost any other DAW platform where under the same conditions (99% of their users wanting said feature X) the devs would probably assign that FR top priority, and it would be implemented ASAP.

So in other words; we better like Reaper like it is right now, otherwise we'll probably be disappointed if we expect our most requested/favorite FRs to be implemented.

Fortunately for me, Reaper does most of what I need in a DAW so I don't feel the need to switch to another DAW, but still, it would be nice if certain longtime requested FRs/bugfix were implemented.

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #51
Some Guy

well, perhaps the almighty schwa implements the user-requested features. Word on the street says he takes code from the rich and implements it for the poor user. After the Justin X/Y-Axis scandal, he's pretty much our last hope.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #52
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post

The main problem with this work methodology (X/Y axis; working mostly on stuff the devs want and that's easy to implement) is that even if 99% of Reaper users would like feature X and the devs don't fancy that feature and/or find it difficult to implement, they(users) will probably never get it. Compare that with almost any other DAW platform where under the same conditions (99% of their users wanting said feature X) the devs would probably assign that FR top priority, and it would be implemented ASAP.

So in other words; we better like Reaper like it is right now, otherwise we'll probably be disappointed if we expect our most requested/favorite FRs to be implemented.

Fortunately for me, Reaper does most of what I need in a DAW so I don't feel the need to switch to another DAW, but still, it would be nice if certain longtime requested FRs/bugfix were implemented.

Chuck
cost and resources is always a considering when making improvements on anything. it's never a full democracy. it's always weighing in how changes will affect popularity and how much effort it is to implement them.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #53
theRev

Quote:
Sorry to drop in and be a twat, but since this Crossfade Editor is receiving such a lengthy day in the sun, I just have to ask...WHY, exactly? I've seen no evidence that this is a critically needed feature and plenty of other, more significant FR's generate almost constant buzz in the community here for years. Just makes me wonder how progress on Reaper gets prioritized.

Surely there is some methodology in place which allows easy-to code, newly suggested, clever tweaks in without much wait but still makes sure the important stuff is dealt with in a timely fashion. I think I can't be the only one confused on this matter. Not to disrespect! But this is a head-scratcher.

Just curious as to what goes on behind the curtain...
Me too... I just thought the same thing...
theRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #54
Viente

Quote:
Compare that with almost any other DAW platform where under the same conditions (99% of their users wanting said feature X) the devs would probably assign that FR top priority, and it would be implemented ASAP.
Really? In which galaxy?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #55
IXix

Quote:

The main problem with this work methodology (X/Y axis; working mostly on stuff the devs want and that's easy to implement) is that even if 99% of Reaper users would like feature X and the devs don't fancy that feature and/or find it difficult to implement, they(users) will probably never get it.
I don't think that's strictly accurate. You're assuming that user desire plays no part in the equation, which I rather doubt.

Anyway, can we keep on topic please? We're supposed to be discussing the pre, not the workings of the developer's minds.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #56
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Anyway, can we keep on topic please? We're supposed to be discussing the pre, not the workings of the developer's minds.
Sorry, my fault. I would not make a good train conductor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
not sure if i fully understand this:

+ Routing windows: space passes through to main actions, for keyboard navigation use shift+space
you can still use spacebar for play/whatever. The routing window, when open, wont steal focus and prevent that. Included Fx chain window too, apparently. It still blocks most other actions though, unfortunately...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #57
Win Conway

Quote:
I've seen no evidence that this is a critically needed
It is a boring feature that nobody particularly asked for, there are a lot, a hell of a lot of FRs that should be taken care of before this......

However it is nice to see that the devs took this to a near fully workable feature (very very rare in the world of Reaper) and if they can now follow through by revisiting other features and getting them to this 90% state like this rather than the 80% state they are normally stuck in, we could be on the path to a good DAW (A first of its kind)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #58
EvilDragon

Quote:
you can still use spacebar for play/whatever. The routing window, when open, wont steal focus and prevent that. Included Fx chain window too, apparently. It still blocks most other actions though, unfortunately...
Not here... Routing/grouping window still doesn't pass the spacebar through.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #59
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not here... Routing/grouping window still doesn't pass the spacebar through.
oops. I never use that one. Thought it meant the other routing window.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #60
musicbynumbers

Default CPU in performance has stopped working recently..

Anyone else found their CPU meter/indicator in the performance window stays at 0.0% recently?

I will have to go back through the pres to find out when it happened but wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

Everything else works ok there though like the RT CPU and per track CPU..

EDIT: found the culprit, it's the latest google chrome browser, as soon as I shut this down instead of it being in the background the CPU works again.. weird!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #61
Viente

Since there is a separate fades/crossfade section in preferences could we please have an option to hide fades when the media item take lane height is less than user value? I find it very distracting to see all that fades i have when i overview the project
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #62
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
It is a boring feature that nobody particularly asked for, there are a lot, a hell of a lot of FRs that should be taken care of before this......
Crossfade editor is one of the key features in post production, radio editing and classical music editing. It is really important feature of all DAWs targeted to those areas. Just see marketing material of Nuendo, Sequoia, Sadie and Pyramix. Crossfade editor is a key feature of all those (expensive) DAWs.

Crossfaed editing is not the most popular FR in Reaper forum but it has been requested:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37880
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=102583

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
However it is nice to see that the devs took this to a near fully workable feature (very very rare in the world of Reaper) and if they can now follow through by revisiting other features and getting them to this 90% state like this rather than the 80% state they are normally stuck in, we could be on the path to a good DAW (A first of its kind)
(start rant)
Unfortunately it is not even close to fully workable feature yet. Please try to be a bit more objective. Yes, they implemented the improvements you requested but there is still lots of bugs and usability issues in the crossfade editing. If you (and other users) now start to demand stopping the crossfade editor development and devs agree, then this will again be a sad example of traditional Reaper development. I.e. no real attention to usability and polishing of new features. Just a quick and dirty implementation, users cheering and accepting whatever awkward solution they come up and everyone demanding to move the development to their own favourite feature.
(/end rant)

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #63
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
(start rant)
Unfortunately it is not even close to fully workable feature yet. Please try to be a bit more objective. Yes, they implemented the improvements you requested but there is still lots of bugs and usability issues in the crossfade editing. If you (and other users) now start to demand stopping the crossfade editor development and devs agree, then this will again be a sad example of traditional Reaper development. I.e. no real attention to usability and polishing of new features. Just a quick and dirty implementation, users cheering and accepting whatever awkward solution they come up and everyone demanding to move the development to their own favourite feature.
(/end rant)

jnif
I'll have to spend some time reading your posts again in the previous threads but so far, it is VERY usable. In any case, can you please point me out to those perfect usability suggestions you've made? It would be interesting to discuss them.

@To those who complain about the Crossfade Editor and why it is taking some time to develop, please allow me to quote jnif again, just because it is so true:

Quote:
Crossfade editor is one of the key features in post production, radio editing and classical music editing. It is really important feature of all DAWs targeted to those areas.
If you don't work on those areas you won't understand its importance. Devs spent months developing stuff I didn't care about but I didn't come here and bitched about it... it would be so cool if you could just let them work and stop being a PITA. If some feature is being developed and you don't care about it, avoid the pre-release forum, simple.

Last edited by Mercado_Negro; 10-05-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #64
aliusmodum

Quote:
Crossfade editor is one of the key features in post production, radio editing and classical music editing. It is really important feature of all DAWs targeted to those areas. Just see marketing material of Nuendo, Sequoia, Sadie and Pyramix. Crossfade editor is a key feature of all those (expensive) DAWs.

Crossfaed editing is not the most popular FR in Reaper forum but it has been requested:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=37880
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=102583

[snip]

jnif
Totally agree with you!
aliusmodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #65
Win Conway

Jnif
1 stop attacking my posts for no reason
2 i never said it was finished i said it was 90%
3 i never said stop working on it
4 they didnt implement my requests ffs
5 you are starting to p*ss me off now, bitch at somebody elses posts
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #66
airon

Oh hush. Have a Flake and take the back seat for a day.

Jnif, keep at it.
I'll be doing the same on things I'm an expert user in. And so is Gpunk .

I've requested a demo of Soundblade HD. That's supposed to be one of reference crossfade editors I hear editors talking about. I'll post some shots and impressions, hopefully tonight.

Last edited by airon; 10-05-2012 at 04:57 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #67
Nick Morris

Just popped in here to see what was coming. Crossfade editor was something I have been dying for in Reaper since I rarely want to start the Pyramix rig anymore. Can't wait for this to be refined/finalized.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #68
Sound asleep

Quote:
Sorry, my fault. I would not make a good train conductor...

whats the keyboard navigation part? shift and space, will be pass through keys where i can press any other key and it passes through?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #69
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I'll have to spend some time reading your posts again in the previous threads but so far, it is VERY usable. In any case, can you please point me out to those perfect usability suggestions you've made? It would be interesting to discuss them.
Here is my list of issues from previous pre thread with some updates:

1. Moving item edge with mouse will move edges of both items. This happens because both items are selected. It is unintuitive because user may zoom close to crossfade and does not even see the movement of the other item's edge because it is outside the arrange view. So, it is very easy to accidentally screw up other parts of track when view is zoomed in to crossfade.

2. Undoing the first adjustment in crossfade editor will unselect one of the items and make all crossfade controls inactive. Fixed. Thanks!

3. Crossfade should be scrolled automatically to be completely visible (or maybe optionally to the center of arrange view) when crossfade editor is opened.

4. Crossfade editing overlapping items that are not yet crossfaded is complicated. You can edit those by opening first some crossfaded items in the corssfade editor and then using previous/next buttons to jump to overlapping non-crossfaded items. Maybe there should be a button in crossfade editor to create (or reset to) the default crossfade. Using presets could work but it is a bit unintuitive/slow and currently it changes the overlapping length which is not what user typically wants. Partially done. There is now a default crossfade checkbox. But, as EvilDragon pointed out, it should be a button.

5. Loop points are not restored back to original location if user auditions crossfades after using previous/next buttons.

6. Many settings in crossfade editor are not saved to presets. And saving some settings ('Length' for example) may not be desired. There should be an option to select which settings are saved to presets. There could be option check boxes in the save preset dialog.

7. Crossfade editor should include some keyboard shortcuts. For example go to previous/next, select previous/next shape and equal power/gain should be available through keyboard shortcuts.

8. Contents adjustment with 'Ripple contents' enabled moves following/preceding (separated) items using "collision detection" algorithm. It would be more useful to keep all following/preceding items in sync (don't change the distance between items) or don't move them at all (move only items up to the first gap). Maybe a new option is needed.

9. Independent (no Link, no Mirror) Ripple contents editing should be possible also with mouse directly on items. Here is one example how it could be done even without opening the crossfade editor (i.e. without specifically focusing edits to one crossfade as the crossfade editor window is capable of doing).

Those red arrows represent the horizontal range where the left and right side "Move item contents and ripple all adjacent items" would work. The actual mouse zone for the ripple contents action should obviously be vertically larger than those arrows. Probably full height of the item could be used for the mouse hit zones, just like with normal "Move item contents" mouse modifier.
This proposal is kind of a compromise. I'm not totally satisfied with it. But probably it would work in most typical situations where crossfades are not very close to each other. Any ideas how this could be done more intuitively?

10. S-curve shape adjustment seems to be quite limited. Steeper S-curves should be possible. Some changes/improvements there, but I think the adjustment is still quite limited. In the latest version you can't change the steepnes of curve in the (vertical) middle of fade much at all. I think it was a bit better in previous version, but still too limited.

11. Auditioning crossfades is still quite limited and awkward. The pre/post-roll settings should be more easily editable. User should be able to enable/disable pre/post-rolls. The pre/post-roll values should be editable using mouse. For example mouse wheel above values or add a knob to change the values. And when auditioning loop start/end is changed in arrange view by dragging the loop edges, the values should change in crossfade editor. It would be better to use separate pre/post-roll audition indicators in arrange view instead of using loop range.
Also, auditioning left/right side content alone and with/without fades should be possible. The ultimate solution would allow also auditioning of the items' parts that are cut out.

12. Crossfade editor should optionally support also fade editing.
Double clicking fade curve would open crossfade editor with only one side active. You could use it for auditioning, curve selection, presets, go to previous/next and value adjustments. Almost everything in crossfade editor applies also to fades, so why not allow to use it also for fades.

13. I'm still requesting the implementation of Squoia style "classic mode" crossfade editing. It would improve workflow a lot. Check this video to see how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ8Ol...=related&t=108

14. More comprehensive item/waveform view modes would also raise the workflow to the next level. Adding support for displaying content preceding fade-in and content following fade-out would make crossfade editing really competent.
Here is an example of what this could look like:

See how the alignment between left and right side content is much easier. And how left side fade-out edge can be easily and accurately adjusted to leave out the last spike. Also attenuation of content within crossfade is clearly shown.
At time 0:07 I move the right side contents by grabbing the audible part of the contents. In a proper implementation moving contents would be allowed also by grabbing the inaudible grayed out part.

15. There are multiple problems in selecting crossfades for editing. See this post by gofer.

jnif

Last edited by jnif; 10-05-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #70
Nixon

to 14:

That would be very cool, how would you grab the grayed out part jnif? With modifiers or without. And when does the display of the greyed out part make sense, definitely in show in different lanes, but what is with the normal view mode.
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #71
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
to 14:

That would be very cool, how would you grab the grayed out part jnif? With modifiers or without. And when does the display of the greyed out part make sense, definitely in show in different lanes, but what is with the normal view mode.
Grabbing the grayed out part could work without modifiers. You probably would not like to move the item by grabbin the grayed out part. Only move contents makes sense. However, move contents requires a modifier when used on top of the audible part. So, maybe to keep the behaviour consistent, the move contents on grayed out part should use the same modifier. User configurable mouse modifiers are the most flexible solution.

The grayed out part makes sense only when editing is focused to selected crossfade(s) and those crossfades are shown using separate lanes. There should be some way to change the display mode so that only the crossfades selected for editing are shown in lanes. Using the existing "Show overlapping media items in lanes" option is not a good solution because it does not put all items to own lanes. It "reuses" the lanes. That can be a problem when editing crossfades. And of course, typically the normal view mode is used and then only the edited crossfade(s) should be (optionally) shown in lanes.

jnif

Last edited by jnif; 10-05-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #72
Win Conway

May i add a 16 to your list please jnif

16 Stretch within fade boundaries actions (This is uber slick for drum editing/audio sequencing)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #73
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
whats the keyboard navigation part? shift and space, will be pass through keys where i can press any other key and it passes through?
Got me there...I had assumed whatever space did before is now done with shift+space, as space now targets main window. But I can't see it doing anything.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #74
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Here is my list of issues from previous pre thread with some updates:

1. Moving item edge with mouse will move edges of both items. This happens because both items are selected. It is unintuitive because user may zoom close to crossfade and does not even see the movement of the other item's edge because it is outside the arrange view. So, it is very easy to accidentally screw up other parts of track when view is zoomed in to crossfade.
Agreed. When the Crossfade Editor is opened, REAPER shoulnd't allow editing (both) items edges.

Quote:
3. Crossfade should be scrolled automatically to be completely visible (or maybe optionally to the center of arrange view) when crossfade editor is opened.
Definitely! This would speed up editing tasks a lot. Now, what should happen if there are multiple items selected? Maybe just focus on the first crossfade of all crossfaded items?

Quote:
4. Crossfade editing overlapping items that are not yet crossfaded is complicated. You can edit those by opening first some crossfaded items in the corssfade editor and then using previous/next buttons to jump to overlapping non-crossfaded items. Maybe there should be a button in crossfade editor to create (or reset to) the default crossfade. Using presets could work but it is a bit unintuitive/slow and currently it changes the overlapping length which is not what user typically wants. Partially done. There is now a default crossfade checkbox. But, as EvilDragon pointed out, it should be a button.
Yes, it should be a button not a checkbox.

Quote:
5. Loop points are not restored back to original location if user auditions crossfades after using previous/next buttons.
Confirmed!

Quote:
6. Many settings in crossfade editor are not saved to presets. And saving some settings ('Length' for example) may not be desired. There should be an option to select which settings are saved to presets. There could be option check boxes in the save preset dialog.
Agreed. An "Options" entry in that drop-down menu which would display a second window to enable/disable settings/features when saving would be great.

Quote:
7. Crossfade editor should include some keyboard shortcuts. For example go to previous/next, select previous/next shape and equal power/gain should be available through keyboard shortcuts.
It's not necessary, in my opinion. If the Crossfade Editor is opened people should use the buttons/options in it. Just my opinion.

Quote:
10. S-curve shape adjustment seems to be quite limited. Steeper S-curves should be possible. Some changes/improvements there, but I think the adjustment is still quite limited. In the latest version you can't change the steepnes of curve in the (vertical) middle of fade much at all. I think it was a bit better in previous version, but still too limited.
I feel the same, sometimes steeper slopes are needed for sound design.

Quote:
11. Auditioning crossfades is still quite limited and awkward. The pre/post-roll settings should be more easily editable. User should be able to enable/disable pre/post-rolls. The pre/post-roll values should be editable using mouse. For example mouse wheel above values or add a knob to change the values. And when auditioning loop start/end is changed in arrange view by dragging the loop edges, the values should change in crossfade editor. It would be better to use separate pre/post-roll audition indicators in arrange view instead of using loop range.
Also, auditioning left/right side content alone and with/without fades should be possible. The ultimate solution would allow also auditioning of the items' parts that are cut out.
This is one of the most unintuitive things in the Crossfade Editor. Like you said, it shouldn't be tied to loop points at all, it doesn't make sense in my opinion. I guess this is just one easy solution devs found to solve the problem. Pre/post-roll should be "implicit", a setting that's defined by the user "in" the Crossfade editor but it's not reflected in the arrange view, there's no point on doing that in my opinion, not necessary at all.

Quote:
12. Crossfade editor should optionally support also fade editing.
Double clicking fade curve would open crossfade editor with only one side active. You could use it for auditioning, curve selection, presets, go to previous/next and value adjustments. Almost everything in crossfade editor applies also to fades, so why not allow to use it also for fades.
Definitely! I understand it is called "Crossfade" Editor but this is one of those situations where the user expect something to work on both sides of the equation, x-fades and simple fades. Please, devs, consider this.

Quote:
13. I'm still requesting the implementation of Squoia style "classic mode" crossfade editing. It would improve workflow a lot. Check this video to see how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ8Ol...=related&t=108
Just watched that. Indeed, it would be a nice addition for post work (editing VO's would benefit from it).

Quote:
14. More comprehensive item/waveform view modes would also raise the workflow to the next level. Adding support for displaying content preceding fade-in and content following fade-out would make crossfade editing really competent.
I like that, yeah.. +1

Quote:
15. There are multiple problems in selecting crossfades for editing. See this post by gofer.
Confirmed!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #75
musicbynumbers

Nice list guys! great points there.

Would still love an item edge drag modifier that momentarily enabled auto crossfade until you released the left click. This way I could create crossfades much faster if I only needed it once in a while.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #76
Sumalc

Default third color / crossfade

i find this "third" color disturbing when using crossfade :
1 yellow for fade out
2 black for fade in
3 brown color seem to show the crossfade value?

Last edited by Sumalc; 10-24-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Sumalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #77
Sumalc

Default Sadie Trim Editor

Here a view of the Sadie5 Trim / Crossfade Editor

Last edited by Sumalc; 10-24-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Sumalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #78
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumalc View Post
i find this "third" color disturbing when using crossfade :
1 yellow for fade out
2 black for fade in
3 brown color seem to show the crossfade value?
The third color is where the waveforms overlap.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #79
Lawrence

I don't have a great need for complex crossfades but... keep at it. What I like about what's happening here with crossfades is that it's being - finished -... which is very good.

If it takes a long time to get that done, so be it. There won't be any necessary circling back to fix stuff on it that was "half done".

I'm Barack Obama and I approved this message.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #80
run, megalodon

Quote:
I'm Barack Obama and I approved this message.
You should be practicing up you punk.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote