Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
dasein64
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Keyboard modulation wheel was 'up' for many MIDI recording sessions -HELP!

I'm a Reaper newbie who's been working on a Reaper project for weeks, creating MIDI tracks using a keyboard and VST's. I just noticed that my modulation wheel has been in the middle position for an unknown amount of time. Hours? Days? It wasn't cranked enough for me to notice a real difference in the sounds of VST presets I was using.

If I open each MIDI event, select Modulation as a drop-down, and see NO data along the bottom, can I be confident that no modulation parameters were written when I created the event?
dasein64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
billybuck

I'm often puzzled by the mod wheel's function with midi data, but in general I think if you don't move it from its initial position, it doesn't send any cc data. It appears to have a "jump" or "pickup" behavior.

Similarly, it seems in some (maybe all?) VSTi's, if you forget and leave the wheel up when changing presets, it won't actually start its mod function until you move it. (Or maybe it has been modding, but I wrongly assumed that was part of the patch sound?)

I'd say if you liked the sounds you were getting, don't worry about it, though it would be nice to know how the midi spec treats it.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
dasein64

Billybuck:

Thanks for this. It seems OK. PF
Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
mek42

I think you would have had to "midi learn" it to some parameter for it to have an effect (or even to be recorded). Some plugins, notably certain expressive orchestral libraries, have the mod wheel pre-mapped to something, but you'd likely have known something was going on in the beginning of the session.
mek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
dasein64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
I think you would have had to "midi learn" it to some parameter for it to have an effect (or even to be recorded). Some plugins, notably certain expressive orchestral libraries, have the mod wheel pre-mapped to something, but you'd likely have known something was going on in the beginning of the session.

I used Arturia's apps, and I find as soon as you select a preset, hit a key, and move the mod wheel, something happens (always something different, depending on the whim of the programmer).